Source For Engine Turning...

Kim Haun

Supporter
Hello! I've been trying to find someone who does engine turning, hopefully in the Los Angeles area. I made my 2 switch plates for the dash out of brushed stainless steel but thought having them engine turned would make them a little more special and period looking. I've done some internet searching and have asked around but no luck. Is this a lost art? Does anyone have a lead for me? It would be great if they were close to me in LA but I'm not in a terrible rush so I could ship the plates to whoever as well. Thanks!

Kim

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I’m not currently home, but I have a source to buy various sized pieces of engine turned panels. It is available in various size swirling also. If you don’t find the info by the time I get home, on Monday, I’ll post it.

Regards Brian

Hello! I've been trying to find someone who does engine turning, hopefully in the Los Angeles area. I made my 2 switch plates for the dash out of brushed stainless steel but thought having them engine turned would make them a little more special and period looking. I've done some internet searching and have asked around but no luck. Is this a lost art? Does anyone have a lead for me? It would be great if they were close to me in LA but I'm not in a terrible rush so I could ship the plates to whoever as well. Thanks!

Kim

Do it yourself. This is what we use in aviation...

Thanks for the replies! I already have the panels shaped so I was hoping someone could do the turning with the bends already in place. I wouldn't need the pattern to go all the way around and onto the bottom side. I entertained the idea of doing it myself and read a few articles on how to do it but it seemed like a bit of a stretch to get the repeatable spacing correct with just a drill press. I would need some sort of precision machining table that I could accurately dial in the spacing. I would think a CNC machine could do it quickly and nicely. Any other possibilities out there?

Kim

Back