spaceframe GT40 kit

Another one? Is it me or does it seem there is one manufacturer for about every 5 customers?
tongue.gif

G

I'd think you'd want to indicate basically what a customer would get in your kit vs. your turnkey-minus car, and the price ranges you think your product would occupy. As you know, the GT40 market is getting more competitive every day.

TT

WITH SO MANY ACTUAL OR PROSPECTIVE VENDORS OUT THERE, WHY CAN NONE OF THEM GET THEIR PRICE POINT MORE IN LINE WITH THE EXPECTATIONS OF THOSE WHO THINK A DECENT REPLICA SHOULD COME IN (ASSEMBLED) FOR UNDER $50k COMPLETE? I KNOW THAT SUPPOSEDLY 40s ARE MORE INVOLVED THAN COBRAS, LET'S SAY. BUT THE TYPICAL COBRA IS SOMEWHERE ABOUT HALF THE COST OF A 40. AM I OFF BASE? THINK HOW MANY BUYERS WOULD SELECT ONE VERSION OVER ANOTHER IF IT SAVED THEM $15-30K......

Pete
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you the one looking for an affordable gt40 ?
The more mfgs, the better chances of getting exactly what you want. Can't remember the last time I saw to many gt40s in one day....

hehehe Vic...haven't seen an "affordable" GT40 yet. At least by my standards given that you basically have to pay cash for it.

Competition doesn't seem to have nudged prices one bit.
wink.gif

Those who are waiting for the mythical affordable GT40 kit are dreaming. Yes there may be lookalikes appear but they will never be a patch on the current excellent offerings available now. The most affordable kits are here now thanks to labour and exchange rates. That is why that the most popular kits are from Australia,South Africa and NZ. You mostly get what you pay for and to the best of my knowledge GT40 kits have not been granted an exemption. Regards

Gosh Normy, why don't you just come out with it ! Don't beat around the bush !
grin.gif

There is nothing like somebody who says it simply and factually. I LUV IT !!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Hi everybody.I am the owner of Carcraft, a manufacturer of Cobra's and Porsche Speedsters.We are based in Cape Town,South Africa.The reason for me contacting you is that we have just completed the developement work of our own GT40 replica.It is of a spaceframe design with porpose made suspension,etc.NO donar parts are used.What I would like to ask all of you out there is some feedback regarding the demand for fully built and ready to assemble kits.I will put some photos and specs together and send these to anyboby interested.Please feel free to contact me at [email protected]k you, Jean Fourie

"Affordable" is surely directly related to the size of your budget.

I termed affordable £60k. Same price as a base 911 without the trimmings.

My car, when finished, will represent very good value for money. It might not be "cheap" but it is "affordable".

Nothing, quality wise, comes "cheap". I am a firm believer in the old saying "You get what you pay for."

Regards,

J.P

[ April 03, 2003: Message edited by: JP ]

G

I built a Dax Cobra and a GTD40. The 40 was more complicated but by paying more for the kit, it assured me that more parts fitted first time around. Although nothing in life is guaranteed. However the cobra got the dubious honour of being my first car built so it got the honour of not having as much knowledge applied to it as the 40 did. In my book I cannot see any 40 replica worth its salt being as cheap as an equivalent cobra replica.

Cobra replicas tend to use ladder chassis whilst 40s have spaceframe or the more expensive monocoque chassis. The cobra body is normally one peice except doors, boot and bonnet. The GTD has I think 27 panels to it.

Good luck to the guys in SA for stepping out and trying to produce something. If you email me something like a press release with pics I will pass it on to our editor of our club mag as "breaking news"! If you can have such a thing in a quarterly publication.

Malcolm

I find it very easy to be cynical regarding 'yet another' '40s manufacturer as well. The truth is that these cars are becoming more and more popular, and more recognised of late due to magazine or TV articles and the launch of the new '40. Mine went out today for the first time this year, and the majority of those that passed comment knew exactly what it was! (even small children)

I find it fascinating to see how other companies solve engineering problems and I am interested to know what radical rethinks are involved in this kit so....Jean, why don't you post a couple of photos on this forum? I think it would give the opportunity for those that have built, or are building a '40, a way to constructively comment on your product. Either way, it would help you determine the lay of the land. Best of luck!
tongue.gif

G

Mike D.,

Have you heard anything further about the fellow who took the old Sabre/Integrity/KVA stuff, was engineering improvements (I think), and was supposedly going to market a kit at a very competitive price point? Was it the same fellow who now makes the Hunter Cobra? Sorry, this is about all I remember, but it sounded like a good idea to me.

TT

An interesting story...

Sabre sold patterns/tooling to two different
entrepreneurs...Dan White and John Hester.

John's company (GTS Supercars) has a website, and it's focus is an authentic style monocoque kit. John hasn't updated
his website since November, and if he doesn't do so soon, I'll have to kill him.

Dan White does not have a website, and is taking a much more low key approach to
bring his kit to market. You pretty much
have to contact Dan direct to figure out what he's up to. Last I heard, he plans
to offer an entry level kit at a VERY ATTRACTIVE level...however he had not firmed up his pricing yet.

I hope both these guys bring there kits out this year. I'm really tired of checking the
foreign exchange rates.

MikeD

As one who has never owned a replica and would probably never attempt to assemble one
myself, the tension between the various points of view as to price/value is slightly perplexing. On the one hand, one opinion goes:
“There is NO REASON why a good quality turnkey space frame GT40 should not be available in the USA for $ 50k. Why that has not happened yet is a mystery to me.” (Mike DD)
Conversely, another suggests:
“In my book I cannot see any 40 replica worth its salt being as cheap as an equivalent cobra replica. Cobra replicas tend to use ladder chassis whilst 40s have spaceframe or the more expensive
monocoque chassis. The cobra body is normally one piece except doors, boot and bonnet. The GTD has I think 27 panels to it.” (Malcolm M.)
I really appreciate the detailed insight Malcolm provides, even while I long for the “better value” that Mike DD would like to expect. I don’t care so much how expensive a thing is. I mainly want to make sure it holds its value. With so little resale info available, I can’t help but feel a bit unsure of the investment angle on these cars. If I didn’t need to be concerned that someday I would need to get my money out of a car, I wouldn’t care so much. But there it is.
Final thought: Lest one think there are few of us with these concerns, witness how many threads on this forum eventually devolve into a debate about the price and value of 40's replicas!!!

It is unclear to me what Jean is asking.
What are "fully built and ready to assemble kits"??

Does he mean (a) turnkey minus and (b) kits (two different levels)???
Or did he mean turnkey minus only and
ready to assemble with your motor/trans?

There is NO REASON why a good quality turnkey space frame GT40 should not be available in the USA for $ 50k. Why that has not happpened yet is a mystery to me.

As a result, several people with $ 50k budgets (or less) have imported kits from
offshore, for completion at home.

So to answer Jean's question...unless his
price for a turnkey minus is close to $ 50k,
I doubt he'll sell many. If he's offering
component kits, success will depend on the
content/price.

MikeD

SDP,
I guess I fall into the " I don't care what it's worth if I sell it. I didn't buy it to resale nor for an investment. I bought it for the sheer pleasure of owning a car that I have wanted for years. Now that I have it, it will be difficult to part with. It turns out that it's more fun than all my other toys combined. Not all will feel this way but I still have my replica Cobra that I built 14yrs ago. I still drive it and it's still enjoyable. I'm sure it will be here in the garage too when I die.
grin.gif

I'm not going to try and disect the differences between prices of these cars nor compare them to Cobras . All I know is that you must do your research and things become more clear. Value per dollar becomes evident as you become more familiar with present offerings. Keeping track of currency exchange rates is not easy either. It effects the prices if you're considering a car from another country.
You are correct though in regards to the debates on pricing. Simply put...YOU MUST DO THE RESEARCH !! Going intirely off someone else's word is folly. This forum has eons of information that does help but it's just a tool that may aid in your research.
I do have to laugh at times... My brother thinks I'm crazy..He says I could have bought a brand new Viper for what I have in my car. That is true but then I would have a Viper. A car with power windows and all the other aminities. I wouldn't have something that is rarely seen as my GT. It's a one man car show everytime I get gas or take it for a drive.
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Agreed Hersh, I would advise that someone who does not have a full case of the "GT-40" virus seriously consider what they are getting into. I suppose we could be driving a C-5 for what we are going to have into my car, but there is a Vette show every spring here where probably 500 cars show up.....I can't explain it, but it's why I wanted a Ducati when all my buddies had Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha 750s. My son will inherit my car and he understands it is not something that can be sold.
Brian

Agreed. A car should never be regarded as an investment.

I have two sons and a daughter who are enamored of the GT40...not sure who's going to inherit it.
confused.gif
grin.gif

With owners like you guys, is it any wonder why there's so little data regarding resale?!? There ARE no resales!!! At least not often, and for obvious reasons--these cars become personal, and hence the diminished importance of cost. I understand entirely.

Actually, I felt the same about one of my cars, figuring I would keep it forever and putting tens of thousands into it PER YEAR for several years, until I finally stopped and said "What am I doing?" Ironically, it was about that moment that I discovered the world of CAVs, GTDs, RFs, NZs and the like. So now, I am looking back and asking, "How much of my investment can I get out of my car to put toward the 40?" It's only natural that under such circumstances my focus would include the question of resale.

But I wholly concur--we're not in this for the investment. As a comparison, I have a friend who buys (yucky) modern art--in part to augment pretensions of snobbery and in part as an investment. I think he's only meeting one of his goals!!

smile.gif

Back