Steel welded frame vs Monocoque

Given the advances in tire technology I think all transaxle options, even quaife & others would struggle with reliability. Ive got customers that destroy the likes of G-Force & Jerico thru not being sensitive to the driveline and there have been posts on this site with complaints of ZFQ's expiring behind 400cu in plus strokers. The ZFQ was originally intended to be a 289 replacement. Part of the breakage issue is using U-Joint half shafts vs upgrading to stronger CV joints. Its not really a case of stronger material, but more of the rotating forces that build up in a U-Joint with angle changes etc. Used to be a thread on here with Comments from a guy who posted under the name of WANNI who knew his stuff and had contacts with high $$ tranaxle designs. He spoke of instances where the rear half shafts would twist a large number of degrees, with that fact in mind you should be able understand why a half shaft with U-Joints have a short lifespan.

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
One thing not mentioned regarding Mono versus space frame is cost of repair in the event the chassis is damaged. I know there are all kinds of consideration when choosing a chassis. And I realize people may want to stick as close to original as possible. Setting those aside I read somewhere if the mono is damaged the cost to repair is pretty high not to mention the integrity of the chassis.

One member here crashed a CAV mono into a tree. Mono was bent bad enough it was not repairable. Repair would have been, ah, cut apart on a gig and start over basically. But he was unhurt. Having seen the damage, a space frame would have been just as smoked and repair just as much, just with tubes, not sheets. But I get the concept that a mono tub is more complex. Many shops could repair the tube frame. Not sure about the mono.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As was pointed out to me a very long time ago - the repairable aspect of a space frame over a mono is made null unless you’ve taken the time to build a full chassis jig (no small or inexpensive task) and don’t mind it being in your way or storing it elsewhere.
The other “gotcha” is telegraphed damages. Hit her hard enough on the beek and the tail is going to be out of whack to some degree. Perhaps less-so with a mono car / perhaps not…

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
All good points you both have made. I would say it is certainly something to consider both from a skill level and cost either way when choosing a chassis.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
This is what I contemplated, which is why I did not consider an alloy mono, though I gave a hard look at CAV, I kept coming back to tube frame for potential repairability and ease of modification to look closer to an original road car.

Back