Superlite GTA

Actually, on the clay that I saw, it looked right in place with the bodywork.
Not as obtrusive as the photos would have you believe.

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
Gregg,
I have no skills with car design but your rear view reminded me of the other car I really like the Mk IV which has a large rear glass window. If I could suggest make the rear glass smaller by moving the rear body work up changing the perspective of the glass. I have attached photos of my Mk IV and your PS picture with the rear glass size adjusted by about a third.
Just a thought.
Don

Attachments

• photo (17).JPG
    photo (17).JPG
    538.6 KB · Views: 448
  • rear glass smaller.jpg
    rear glass smaller.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 207
I like the smaller glass, but I think the molds are already made. I was just photoshopping what the actual car will look like.

Attached is a picture with the window slightly smaller.

Mr. Wolfe

A little bit of a throwback to the 80's but here is another solution

Attachments

• 1980-BMW-M1-rear.jpg
    1980-BMW-M1-rear.jpg
    828.7 KB · Views: 308
Where are they prone to leak?

The oil return flange mostly. And occasionally on the mating surface where it meets the block. Now a good fitting welded onto the pan instead of the factory style return would alleviate the leak there. The other potebtial leak is fixed by ensuring the mating surface is perfectly flat. Also these are only available on 6 bolt motors.

Would any of you consider a flood car as a donor? I know the answer is probably it depends...but what if its an auction car where you don't know what's what?

It seems like they would be the perfect value since you're going to be "rebuilding" most of the car. Then again could be a hassle/cost ineffective to deal with shot electronics. I have no history with flooded vehicles.

Would any of you consider a flood car as a donor? I know the answer is probably it depends...but what if its an auction car where you don't know what's what?

It seems like they would be the perfect value since you're going to be "rebuilding" most of the car. Then again could be a hassle/cost ineffective to deal with shot electronics. I have no history with flooded vehicles.
I have no history with them either but my thoughts...

I would not go with a flood car. Other than possible electoronic issues, even if you register it as a kit car but have the factory vin on the car, wouldn't someone still be able to look up the vin and see that it had a flawed title. Even though that may not be a deal breaker to us since we know how much of the car will be removed/swapped, it might be a major issue when you try to sell. Also, from my experience, if you don't mind going with a na donor, they can be had seriously cheap. I can't imagine a flood vehicle saving more than a few hundred bucks and at that point, it just doesn't seem worth it.

<quote in-part>I have no history with them either but my thoughts...

I can't imagine a flood vehicle saving more than a few hundred bucks and at that point, it just doesn't seem worth it.
<end quote in-part>

I agree with Matt! To me it's a risk/reward issue and given the small savings, I don't think it's worth the the risk.
Jim

If you go NA donor don't you still need a 4G63? Then if you're buying a long or short block from a reputable builder and don't have a donor head/block they easily charge $500 each (likely more). My thought process was if a flood car could be had for less then that, you're still positive. Then you have the rest of the car to part. Or am I missing something about the plan to use a NA donor?

Just to keep things alive
I'm pretty excited about incorporating the Racelogic TC. Used in the Gumperts and the early Koenigseggigseggigseggs. $1500 well spent for the high hp builds. It gets a little attention in this TG clip. I know it's hit or miss but I love(d) Gumpert.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU0mqzX3FD8]Top Gear - Gumpert Apollo - YouTube[/ame]

I was literally JUST about to revive the thread when you posted this haha

we should let this thread die, there is nothing more to be said until we hear what the production version will look/be like. This is at least 1 year after the announcement of this car being made.

Considering the changes being made to make this car more affordable, I think things are going just fine. The suspension mounting brackets had to be changed, which probably threw a huge wrench into the original subframe design. Fran also stated he tweaked the design a little bit a while ago.

You can get the car now, and it would be substandard like the FFR 818 (just one of many examples: How have people found the quality of the carbon fiber parts? ), or you can have it PROPERLY engineered and have a majority, if not all, of the kinks ironed out. I'd rather have a quality kit, myself... A true bolt together kit. For the base $15k kit price, you're not going to find a better car out there. Just my two pennies.

Just knowing that it will be produced and offered is good enough for me right now.

Fran, if you are reading this, I sent you a PM about visiting your facility. Did you receive it?

Thanks,
Mr. Wolfe

I'm not knocking of the points being made, only that this thread is 87 pages and it's run long enough. When the car is ready, let's start the new one.

we should let this thread die, there is nothing more to be said until we hear what the production version will look/be like. This is at least 1 year after the announcement of this car being made.
I'm not knocking of the points being made, only that this thread is 87 pages and it's run long enough. When the car is ready, let's start the new one.
No offense but I could not disagree more. You're telling me that you have not learned/enjoyed anything in the last 20 pages of this thread? Sure, the Apex isn't ready. But half the fun is dreaming/planning/continually modifying your build in anticipation of starting the actual build and that's where this thread shines. I have no problem starting a new thread once the Apex is released but respectfully, just don't participate/click on this thread if you're not interested.

I know I'm coming across like an ass but that is not my intention at all. I just don't understand why everyone should stop posting in a thread because it has "run long enough." Isn't that the point of a forum?

Last edited:
Back