The trip to Carlisle...

Here I am sitting in a Motel room typing a post on the forum. I am enroute to the largest kit car show in Carlisle, Pennslvania which is 2300 miles from my home in Phoenix Arizona.
The hotel I'm at is in Collinsville , Il. The same place that holds the Run & Gun competition.
I borrowed a Ford Expedition to pull the trailer that contains the RFGT40. This thing is a Gas PIG!. I get maybe 8 miles to the gallon with this PIG. I'm driving 2300 miles one way... you do the math. It's terrible!! The only good thing is that it tows the trailer nicely.
Enough complaining.. If any of you can, please come and see this car, It is really a well built example of what RF is all about.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Hershal,

The message was an old one so no problems !!!

Glad the Ford in towing so well and hope the ozone layer does not get to large with your own contributions. Best wishes for Carslile and sorry I can not make it but I am sure that you and Jerry will give a great show.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hersh,

Be thankful you are not fuelling it up in the UK!

Have a good time,

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chuck Don't worry about your car, I was there when Hersh off loaded it. Talk about catching some looks. Very nice attention to detail, just stunning. I was there with CAV and had the pleasure of meeting Hershyl for the first time. Great guy.Total of five gt40's three CAV's an two Roaring Fortys. It was great for all involved Pleanty of inquiries for all. Buzz showed up with cannon ball car in a thunder storm. I threw him a shammy to dry his car, but he replied, " I'm not touching it, It's perfect, just the right amount of road grimm.". He's a pip.

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
Just got back from Carlisle late last night. Great show, saw alot of 40's, and many other spectacular cars as well.
Thanks to Hersh and Chuck for letting me try on your fantastic new RF. The car is breathtaking. It was also nice to meet you both and talk cars. Chuck, hope you enjoy your new car , it is very nice.
Also good to see all the other 40's, 2 ERA's, CAV's , Archie's new Feiro based Mk1, another RF, it is overwhelming when you see them altogether.
Also it was good to see Bill Hough. It's always a treat to talk with you and hear the fun car/people stories you've been involved with.
Those of you who have never attended Carlisle need to mark it on your calender for next year, it's a really great event. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now that I've been home a couple days I thought I would post a few words about the Carlisle show. At first it seemed the weather was not going to cooperate as it rained early Friday morning. I pulled into the fair grounds and found my spot without too much trouble. The rain slowed just enough to unload the Gulf GT without getting too wet. As soon as I got the thing cleaned up it stopped raining.
After I was all set up I got the chance to meet some of the Forum family members. All the CAV guys that was there were terrific and we had some fun conversations. I gotta say that Bill, Vic and Buzz were great guys to be parked next to. Buzz brought his silver GT and refused to clean it saying it has a great patina and he likes to show what one looks like that gets driven. Well Buzz, if they gave trophies you most assuredly would win one for the best road grime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
There were so many others that stopped by, BLACKJACK, Gordy, and many more who are part of this forum family. I really enjoyed meeting all of you in person.
Towards the end of the day Jerry Jansing showed up with his RFGT40. After we unloaded his car we left for the day. Saturday started out the same as Friday. It cleared up after we had breakfast. The rest of the day was hot and humid. There seemed to be a never ending stream of folks looking at all of the GT's. I finally got to take a quick walk around the show and check out some of the other booths. I was really impressed with Upstate Super cars. They had a compitition Daytona coupe that was immpeccably built. It was stricktly race looking. There was also a Canadian Lambo company there that really had their ducks in a row. They had some of the chassis work I've seen. They even had a set up that could use the C5 vette engine and transaxle. Really a cool set up.
ERA also had the largest setup with some of the sweetest lookin Cobras there.The GT's weren't bad either.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Sorry I didn't get to stop and meet Bob and Phil.
All in all not a bad show. Some folks said that it was the lowest attendance ever in 15yrs. I think the gas prices had something to do with that.
Sunday we all started packing up around 1:00PM. We said our good bys to our new friends and headed Home. My first stop was to Patomac Maryland to visit Jay Thompson. Jay gave me great directions right to his front door. While there I was able to see Jay's progress on his RFGT and it is going very well. He is really doing a great job. It will be onbe of the nicest GT's out there when he is done. Later that evening Jay and I watched a movie in his theater room..that's right, a theater room with all the bells and whisles. Man, my little 60" TV ain't Quite the same anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
So Monday morning after coffee I hit the road headed for Austin, Texas where my Daughter lives. From there I came on home. One really loooong trip that I will not be making again anytime soon. At least not towing a big trailer anyways.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS. Hey Buzz, I cleaned your GT up for ya'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 38634-Buzz\'s GT.jpg
    38634-Buzz\'s GT.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 228
Back