What size head gaskets do you run?

Interested to see whether anyone has any experience with running a 0.06in head gasket.
I was trying to achieve a high 10ish static CR but with a 363 combo am struggling with piston choices for this.

With a 6.5cc flat top and 58cc heads, zero deck and a 0.041 felpro it gives me 11.1:1. Now I am not sure on cam specs yet but was a tad concerned it may be pushing it a bit for 98 octane fuel. Thoughts?
A Cometic MLS 0.06 HG would put the CR nearer to 10.6:1.
Would head studs be a wise choice rather than bolts with going for a thicker HG?

The other option is 14cc pistons With the 0.041in HG which would give me 10.2:1

Coming from all my previous high hp cars being forced induction it’s not something I’ve had to be concerned about before!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Pistons (dished)
Heads (larger combustion chambers)
NOT OPTIMAL SCENARIOS FOLLOW --
On a friend's car - I managed to get 11.5:1 to work relatively well on a 468CID Chevrolet with 92 Octane Non-Oxy fuel by installing a cam with 108 lobe separation. It was choppy at low RPM, smoothened out at 2500 RPM and with deep enough gears it did not put that much dynamic load on the engine to exhibit detonation. You may have similar results depending on gearing etc.
I had used the same trick on another 468 that was in my Nova with a 671 GMC Blower and had a static CR of 9.5:1 (too high for most forced induction). When running the blower over-driven 12% I had to run 110 octane. Otherwise when it was under-driven 12% it ran 92 Non Oxy, backed the timing off 4 degrees and worked fine.

I would look at increasing the dish volume before going to 0.060" H.G. Not enough squish for this Kiwi, but I have no knowledge of how your fuel handles compression in the UK.

I would look at increasing the dish volume before going to 0.060" H.G. Not enough squish for this Kiwi, but I have no knowledge of how your fuel handles compression in the UK.

Funny you say that as it’s exactly what I spoke to the shop about not long after writing this thread, must have been a touch sleepy and wasn’t thinking efficiently.
Actually tried to delete it as realised that Wiseco would change the dish size for a cheap fee and it isn’t considered custom pistons.
So I can run something like a 9.5-10cc dish and have circa 10.7:1 static with a 0.041in HG which is great.

Back