Whats too much Horsepower for an SLC?

Really interesting post by the OP, I will give 2 examples, at my local circuit (Castle Combe) they run the GT series (an open class formula from Radicals up to Stealths) was chatting to a chap last time I was there and he reckoned with a decent handling car/decent brakes and lightly built that 300-350 NA would be enough to be very competitive! Although I may add that I did witness a 962 LeMans car go round about 15-20 years ago with the boost turned up for qualifying ( I don`t remember what HP it was chucking out, but an awful lot!) Sure it made it to pole but came in about 4th, swamped off the line by the lighter more nimble cars and never made the ground back.
2nd, years ago I used to race Mini Se7ens 1000cc, these would be 100hp for a decent one, sometimes we would take it to track days instead of booking a day testing (it was cheaper!) if there was a track day at a circuit we were due to race at. Many a time we used to embarrass cars with double the horsepower. The one I remember vividly was a 2ltr turbocharged Vauxhaul that supposedly was putting out 280hp, we diced all session, he`d leave me for dead down the straights but I`d just zip past him under braking and pull out 4-8 car lengths on the corners only for it to be repeated again at the next corner. Session ended and he came to find me in the paddock, wanting to know if I had a KAD 16 valve twin cam motor under the bonnet, his face when I told him it was just a 1ltr lump was a picture, he even made me take the bonnet off to check I was in fact telling the truth!
So I guess some of it is to do with willie waving but a decent well balanced/lightweigh/nimble car with sensible hp is useable, no point having something that scares you shitless the first time you bury the throttle.
Just my thoughts!!!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Please...........somebody take my keys away the day I say I am Mark Donohue.

There is a cartoon about some track day buffoon saying something to the order of " I drive my 800 hp twin turbo GT bla bla bla at night in the rain flat out...yata yata yata. I really like that one. I'll see if I can find a link.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Please...........somebody take my keys away the day I say I am Mark Donohue.

There is a cartoon about some track day buffoon saying something to the order of " I drive my 800 hp twin turbo GT bla bla bla at night in the rain flat out...yata yata yata. I really like that one. I'll see if I can find a link.

Then he had to be drunk when he posted that. Just MHO.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
This is an open-ended question.
Horsepower is only part of the total package.
I was a teenager in the 60's. We had the SS-396, Copo Camaro, Hemi-Cuda, and the Nickey Nova ('67 427 Nova SS), off the showroom floor. Incredible horsepower, but the cars had very poor brakes and handling, and it is a wonder more of us didn't die.

Now I feel the 0-100-0 time is very important.

The SLC reportedly has incredible brakes and handling, but then you have to look at the limitations of the driver's skill, and of course the limitations of the rest of the drivetrain. Obviously, there is a breaking point to every drivetrain, and if it is a $13,000 transaxle that shatters all over the track, it destroys some of the bragging rights of all of the horsepower.
Just think about what you are trying to accomplish, and why, and have fun!
Just my opinion.
David

Michael Fling

Supporter
It is just an incredibly subjective question. How much do you want to spend, what are the capabilities of the car you are driving, and what are your skills as a pilot? It will be different for each person. For me... Briggs and Stratton 5 hp works really well!

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Low weight, High traction, variable downforce. as long as you have a throttle you can control wheelspin. the rest is in the senses of the driver.

As they say "drive for show put for dough"

"I didn't point you by because I assumed you would crash in front of me, or burst into flame..."

LMAO!

Back to topic... One of my favorite quotes is from Monty Barrett, builder of race aircraft engines:

"The internal combustion engine is a mechanical device of insufficient power."

I'm eager to see what happens as more SLCs with various amounts of horsepower and torque start rolling out of garages and onto racetracks.

JR

The reality is: how much torque can your transaxle withstand?
+1

I love the kick of turbos, but a N/A LS3 gives an "interesting" power to weight ratio.

To answer the question, it depends upon how you drive and if the number is more important than marginal gains in most circumstances. I'd also want traction control and ABS. Personally, I'd stop before going beyond the capabilities of mainstream transaxles.

Howard Jones

Supporter
THIS ONE IS GREAT "Your girlfriend can stay"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-bEWZejWcg]Ferrari 308 Driver - YouTube[/ame]

Howard Jones

Supporter
I'm sorry I can't help my self. But I bet her husband though he needed a 1000hp too. I'll stop, I promise.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCzOLEoko6o&feature=endscreen&NR=1]Chick almost shoots herself!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Back