Wheels for GT40

Hi Guys,
Do the Trigo Cobra rims fit a GT40?? I see that they only make one size 7.5x15 and 9.5x15 with a 3.5 inch back spacing. Has anybody got these on a GT40? cheers Dave

Dave-The wheels may fit, but tha backspacing may not be what you need. You might check out PS Engineering wheels in California. Phil Schmidt makes the Halibrand style in bolt-on and pin drive, with whatever offset you need. I have a set on my 40, and they are excellent wheels. Mine are bolt-on, as I don't trust the knock-offs for the street. I saw a wired knock-off loosen and allow the wheel to come off on a freshly restored Comp Cobra at a Shelby track event a number of years ago, and that convinced me it wasn't worth the worry.
Jack

I have the same concerns regarding the pin drives. I have read in a few road tests of replicas with pin drives falling off the wheel during a run. Does anyone know what the weight difference would be with the same style and size of rim, the only difference being the pin drive format vs. the bolt on? Thanks

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: Jon ]

Hello, !
Regarding "falling off"
You may need to check them one´s in a while.
Use safety strap´s or safety springs to keep the nuts/wings in place.
Then you should not need to worrie to much under normal conditions.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Jon-Each wheel manufacturer should be able to provide specifics, but aside from the wheels, which should be almost identical, I think the pin drive set-up is probably just a bit heavier due to the large threaded sleeve, spinner and pins, versus wheel lugs and nuts. The difference is probably less than half a pound (my guess).
Jack

G

I wanted late 60's BBS style wheels and BBS doesn't make them anymore. Next on the list were Torque Thrust style; couldn't get the offset I needed on the back. I got the BBS style wheels from Compomotive, http://www.usacomp.com/ , and have been very pleased with them. They used to have a bad reputation for balance, but that was years ago and the guys here in the US are taking great care when they assemble the 3 piece wheels. They will gaurantee YOUR satisfaction: if something doesn't feel right to you, they will work with you until it does. They have a Halibrand style pin drive and a lug style. Here is the pin drive:

Pindrv20.jpg

-Lynn

G

One reason (most likely not the only reason) why wheels fall off in use is that the threads on the spinners/spindles are wrong handed. By this I mean that one side of the car should have left handed threads and the other right handed threads. The aim is to get the spinners to tighen under acceleration. In the UK this means that the drivers side is the odd thread and the passengers side is normal. This also applies to the standard Granada Scorpio bolt on wheel axle assembly nut but that has an added nyloc part to it to reduce the risk of coming undone. The only times I have heard of wheels coming off is down to getting the threads on the wrong sides of the car. Some guys use D rings to prevent complete separation of the wheels from the car. Just gives you time to pull up! Hopefully.
Malcolm

G

Just and FYI we are dealers for PS engineering and Team III wheels. We would need to know the backspace requirements for each car. Another FYI, although the 15s are period, most people can't tell the 15 from the 16 on a car. We have several customers who are very happy with the 16s as a W or Z rated tire is available. With the 15s the tire size and speed ratings get very limited.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help with wheels. We generally do Free shipping which will save you about 100 bucks (continental US only).

Hi Guys ,many thanks for your help.. Just found out that there is a 20% customs duty payable on imported wheels into South Africa..sob!!!!
Dave
frown.gif

Ps, re wheels falling off. My Superformance Cobra has the Halibrand rims and a) you must use a lead hammer to tighten them. They must be the right thread and tighten to the rear of the car (we won't get into left vs right hand drive today!!
smile.gif
) and the spinners are secured using stainless steel wire twisted after passing thru a hole in the rim . Never had a problem so far..Dave

Back