When was this quoted?

"Our GT40 is going to reduce your Viper to a status somewhere between a garden snake and an earthworm."
I like that quote.
grin.gif

Detroit Auto show in January of this year, I believe. I think it was Jim Colletti, head of SVT who said that. Sadly, I don't think that any Vipers that line up against a GT44 will terribly mismatched. A new Viper can be made to yield in excess of 500 hp with mere bolt ons, at a total cost far below that of a new GT44. If Ford insists on using the modular 5.4 V8, I really wish they'd use twin turbos rather than a blower.

The new Ford GT should surpass the new viper in performance and be quite a bit more costly as well. I don't know why you think it will be slower. The Ford GT should weigh close to 3000 lbs if what I have heard is true.

The 2nd Generation Vipers will come with
500 hp from the factory. The GT44 will not
match it in performance or cost.

However what you are buying in a GT44 (or GT40) is racing history that you don't get with a Viper. While it's true that Vipers
have had great success on the track, that's
not why they sell so well...

They sell because they provide great performance (and looks) for the money.
In fact I think a Viper would be a neat
garage-mate to a GT40.

MikeD

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: MikeDD ]

Jon

You are correct. Performance means many
things. I was referring to acceleration.
The Viper is definitely quicker.

Top speed contest will depend on final
gearing and HP of the GT44.

Handling is difficult to compare since
G-force alone is not the only criteria.
We'll have to wait until the car is tested
to see how good a job they've done.

Cost looks like a runaway in the Viper's
favor. Particularl if you pay over List
price for the GT44 which certainly seems
likely for the forseeable future.

IMHO the GT44 is strictly an image car and NOT intended to compete with the Viper on the street or the track. We shall see.

MikeD

It would be great to have a GT40 and a Viper at the same time. Everyone needs something to drive in the winter! Humm... Do they make snow tires and plows for Vipers?

Back