Porsche Cayman based drivetrain

We put a man on the moon in 1969 there has to be someone that says they have solved this mostly electrical talking between engine and car? Does anyone make something that allows you to install a modern DFi engine into an older generation EFi car? I have a 2006 3.4 Porshe Cayman S drivetrain and want to put a 4.0 liter Porsche engine that is direct fuel injection whereas my car was built with an earlier generation electronic fuel injection. It's more obtainable to get a running take out of the engine they've built since 2009 rather than the previous engines.

It is definitively possible, the question is how much effort/time/money you are willing to put into it.

Most ecu's are specific to that particular vehicle or enginefamily, even under the same name they might be different.
So a generic solution does not exist and every specific engine management system needs to be altered to make it work.
As you probably know the ECU communicates with a load of other control units in the vehicle and probably "mated" to a few of them aswell.
Given the newer ecu communicates using the same protocol you might run into issues mating it to other control units in the car.

My advice, get something that is a direct swap. If you choose to try to modify electronics and have not found someone who already has done the same swap i wish you all good luck.

I thank you for our comments. As it seems every 3.4 from this 2006 to 2009 period has blown up or will be making metal soon like mine there doesn't seem to be any running takeouts or they are near $10K for an over 100K mile engine. For a smidge more I can get a 4.0 liter that is more sophisticated and a LOT more horse power and torque. I just need to get the engine and the car to electrically communicate. If ANY knows please advise.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have looked at this a lot. There are standalone PDK controllers and there are engine management computers BUT I have as of yet not seen a single controller/ecu that can do both or allow either to work with the manufacturer controller of either.

So what what I would do if I were really committed to installing a Porsche engine and PDK in an RCR 917 for example would be to buy a running and shifting car (Cayman S) and then take out the entire power train, set it up on stands and make it run. At that point, I would start trying to remove things I didn't want to include in my build like the dashboard, lighting, or climate control etc. Once I had that done and the power train still ran and shifted I would start cleaning up the harnesses to fit.

The only other way would be to build an engine and run it with a motec. Then put a normal six-speed behind it, Or a $40K+ racing sequential GRBX using its controller.

I did look at this as a 917 project and realized that a 500Hp Porsche costs twice as much as an LS-X in the same HP range or $50K+ for the Porsche. So you would be looking at a power train that was in the range of $80K- $150K. I did a SBC and a G50 and I have about $35K in that power train.

Ya...... You would be best served with a front-end totaled car that still ran and shifted...................Can it be done? How committed are you?

Go for it.

Thank you for your comments. As I own the Cayman S and need an engine I am looking for a simpler solution. I'm familiar with the rebuild of the engine both with steel and aluminum sleeves and keeping it 100% Porsche and matching numbers. I am familiar with and have various quotes from people to use various bits and pre fabricated kits and put an LS Chevrolet in it and you can get 650 HP/650 TQ engines brankd new from Chevrolet for $20K and even get a 4.8 for likely free and those are options. I am familiar with many swaps of many, many engines but the logical one is as the new 4.0 400HP Porsche engine is now about a $100K total in a new car from Porsche and the 4.0 493HP Porsche car is $175K new taht if I can get a 4.0 400HP Porsche engine used for $15K then all I have to do is find the one guy in the world that has done this since that 4.0 4OOhp came out in 2021 and is current engine. If I can get the 2021 engine (direct fuel injection) to talk to the car that is my choice for my use and then resale down the line.

If the 4.0 400HP engine can talk to the 2006 Cayman and have the speed, guages and everything work I only need one brilliant guy that has done it. If not that puts me into the challenge for doing this. I've seen a Porsche Autocross enthusiast has done this but I noticed he added a dipstick as the internal oil measurement system was inoperative. I'm prepared to move forward with the 4.0 but lets start with whether it can bolt into the car and start? Has someone done that? Air conditioning would also be more of a priority that speedo or tach.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I had a 2014 Cayman S. The reason I bought it was because up to 2014 the Caymans had a bearing issue in the engine. They fixed it for the 2014 and later engines. Maybe a later engine after 2014 might be your solution but not a new direct injected one. Just a thought.

I think you would be best served on a Porsche-orientated forum. People on this forum would like to help but something that specific might be better answered on Rennlist. Join up and ask away, good luck. Let us know what you find out.

I'm familiar with the Porsche forums and this forum has smarter folks with higher appetite for getting a complicated mission accomplished and sometimes from scratch. I'd really like to bolt up a W12 to the transaxle and offered a guy financial support on this forum to make that happen. On a forum three birds can sound like a chorus and promote say, an LS Chevrolet Swap kit or service when I'm aware that exists and want a a porsche/audi/bentley drivetrain that will bolt right up. Getting a 4.0 direct injection engine to talk to an early car seems to be more likely accomplished on this page and when my W12 discussion on a page was deleted as not possible on a LS swap page it was rather well embraced here months before I inquired. I thank you for your comments sincerely.

There are people that have reverse engineered the 987/997 canbus but I don't know anyone that has worked on decoding the newer stuff and you will need to figure out both sides of the canbus.

The 997 ran until 2013 and maybe if I can get a 4.0 NA or a 3.8 TT from a 2005 to 2013 and get them to communicate. My impetuous is that i found available a brand new 2021 Direct Injection engine and that would be a superb combo for me.

I am told the 997.1 and 987.1 are the same ecu.
Chris Forest

You would need to make an engine wiring harness or modify the 997 harness to fit the car

Back