Windscreens - real and aftermarket, whats the difference.

Hi all,

Im just going through a bit of a dilemma, i have a real GT40 screen, and a replica.... question is, do i make the real one fit, or the replica??? The real looks nicer, its got a slight tint to it and is a different shape, but ill need to modify the spider to get it in, then theres the issue if i brake it at a later date.... hens teeth comes to mind. If i cant get one, i need to modify the body to take a replica screen, that means repainting....

So my question is, how hard is it to get a replacement real screen, or are there companies that make an exact match?

Attachments

• IMG_6904.jpeg
    IMG_6904.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6903.jpeg
    IMG_6903.jpeg
    591.9 KB · Views: 102
I also bought my screen at Ricky Evans
www.heatedwindscreen.com
Opted for a bronse tinted, electric heated with all dot & e markings.
He has templates for all kits and genuine.
Any tint or sunstrip is possible. All Pilkinton made.
oh ok, so one to match the original shape isn't too difficult to find? i thought it would be like finding a needle in a haystack! how close are they to the original shape as i know the originals bow out in the middle

this is the E-mark on the orignal screen, does it look like an original screen as im none the wise, lol!

Attachments

• IMG_6905.jpeg
    IMG_6905.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 110
I can only offer what I know about the markings on an original windscreen, not which one to use.

The original windscreen I had experience with had 'Triplex Laminated' around a circle with three x's on it smack dab in the center of the windscreen above the rearview mirror. It was from a Mk1.

Bart Roberts

Supporter
this is the E-mark on the orignal screen, does it look like an original screen as im none the wise, lol!

I'm no expert, still learning and probably always will be. I'd say that is not an original screen as in 1960's production. It may be a original "shaped and contour" but not an original as in it came from one of the 100 cars or period spare. My opinion only.

I'm no expert, still learning and probably always will be. I'd say that is not an original screen as in 1960's production. It may be a original "shaped and contour" but not an original as in it came from one of the 100 cars or period spare. My opinion only.
your opinion is great!!! im just that same, havent got a clue so im still learning.

These are the markings that were on the Mk1 windscreen I had experience with during a restoration a few years ago.

The picture is taken from the outside of the windscreen. If it was attached to the car you would be looking into the interior of the car.

Attachments

• gt40triplex.png
    gt40triplex.png
    2 MB · Views: 65

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
From discussions with Andrew at GT40 gold parts there are several different fits for "original" cars as there were different panel suppliers. There is a windscreen chart on the forum depending on who made your spyder. Mine was made in the US by Bill Hough. I have glass from RCR as they used his bodies with the first cars, I hope it will fit. I have been off the project for 6 months. If you have the guy in the UK that makes them I say visit him..... get 2 one for now and one for the future.

Back