Happy Australia Day Everyone!!!

What exactly IS Aussy Day?

Well technically it is our celebration of the arrival of the first fleet from Engalnd.

Our indigenous population believe it is a celebration of Invasion Day.

I feel it's just a good excuse to have a BBQ and drinks with family and friends in appreciation of how lucky and proud we are to be Australians.

And it's a public holiday.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Ah, so kinda like 4th of July here? That's cool. Do you guys have fireworks and all that jazz? BTW, it's hot down there now right? Since you guys are all backwards and stuff... Just wondering because it's cold as hell here in Texas at the moment.

Right on AJ.

Interestingly, like the Pilgrims, the whole penal colony idea was rapidly overtaken by the hordes that twigged early on that it's rather more pleasant to deal with a couple of months of heat than all year cold. Mind you in the earlier days they were all encouraged to adapt to their new home, rather than bringing their old one with them, but that's a whole other issue.

Of course the brochures didn't mention the snakes, spiders and so on and to this day they don't mention the drop-bears.....

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ah, so kinda like 4th of July here? That's cool. Do you guys have fireworks and all that jazz? BTW, it's hot down there now right? Since you guys are all backwards and stuff... Just wondering because it's cold as hell here in Texas at the moment.

Yes fireworks, Barbeque's, cricket, and lots of booze. And yes it is summer down here. Yesterday was 30 degrees centigrade (86F) and very humid.
Terrific weather for the beach.:thumbsup:

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Yes fireworks, Barbeque's, cricket, and lots of booze. And yes it is summer down here. Yesterday was 30 degrees centigrade (86F) and very humid.
Terrific weather for the beach.:thumbsup:

Terrific weather for the beach is usually followed up with some pictures Pete. Are you digging through your most recent snapshots or will I be disappointed?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Disappointed I'm afraid, if you take photos on the beach these days you are likely to be arrested. And if not your camera will be stolen.

Last edited:

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
No mate it's a great day and given the size of the hangover I am nursing today I had a terrific time....I think.

Please ask Di for pictures then. It may help you recreate the events or explain why you slept on the front lawn!:)

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Weather here in Melbourne for the next 5 days, 41c - 40c - 40c - 40c -30c....
Too bloody hot!

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Well today in TEXAS the high is 31 F and that's already come & gone. We've got this hard water falling from the sky and the ground seems to be covered in some sort of slippery glaze. I think someone ran around with a truck full of clearcoat and just sprayed everything with it. I dunno, I haven't seen anything like this in a while.

Drop-bears, koala like creatures with sharp claws, said to like lurking in tress, especially in the suburbs, and when hungry prone to drop on you; not as bad as Bunyips :eek:)
Ah yes, Australia, a great country, where men are men and sheep are nervous :eek:) Gotta love it.

WTF are Drop-Bears? LOL

Mike's close.

Drop Bears are relatives of the Koala, which live in trees, typically around camp sites frequented by hot female backpackers.

They drop from the branches onto the tents and devour the ladies within silently, so their companions remain vulnerable.

The only protection is to sleep naked in the tent of a local male.

It's New Zealand where the sheep are nervous, but that's already been done to death here.

Bunyips make everybody nervous. Kind of like Brown & Grizzly Bears of the Northern Hemisphere.

Back