My first SPF GT40 drive

Hi guys,

Purely by chance, I was fortunate enough to be able to fly a C-5 to the Little Rock AFB air show in Arkansas. Little Rock is the home of fellow Pantera owner Mike Trusty, who is also eyeballs-deep in the construction of a very faithfully accurate RHD SPF GT40 Mk II and a participant on this forum.

One of Mike's old friends is Jack Houpe, who is also an SPF GT40 owner. Jack drove his car (powered by an all-aluminum Ford Motorsport block 427-inch stroker Windsor with a custom fuel injection package designed and built by Mike Trusty, resulting in 600 hp at the flywheel) some 250 miles to come visit as well.

My fellow crewmembers knew that I had Important Business to attend to, and covered for me while I played hooky from the air show Saturday. The three of us thus had a terrific time.

Jack's car was exhibiting pronounced high-speed instability. On the outskirts of Little Rock is a rather derelict-looking car repair shop, including a huge yard with weeds growing up through innumerable junk cars. Not the type of place you would expect would have GT40 experience, but the owner had, over the years, worked on three different original GT40s and even had possession of one of them for seven years.

I climbed into Jack's car and we followed Mike (in his truck) to the shop where the car was to be aligned. Jack had cooked up his own home-made alignment system, but the values were going to be checked and changed as necessary.

On the way there, Jack romped the throttle in 2nd gear and the car lit up and snapped sideways, out of control instantly. Not a good sign.

Long story short, the ride height at the rear was too low, and there was an enormous amount of negative camber in the front, both of which would contribute to high-speed instability. A few hours of measuring and adjusting had the car transformed, and now it's rock-solid.

Jack was kind enough to give me an opportunity to drive it back to Mike's workshop, a drive of some 30-40 minutes, some on freeways and some on the back roads.

Wow! The sound, the feel! On the freeway in 5th gear, with stock 4.22 gears in the ZF, dipping my right foot resulted in instantaneous acceleration that just wouldn't quit!

I found the car somewhat difficult to drive due to the balky cable shifter (mine will definitely be RHD with rod shift), and the heavy throttle return springs made smooth driving difficult for me. I suppose it's something one might become accustomed to, but I'd be looking for a way to reduce it a bit.

I wasn't about to push the car hard on a beautiful, meandering 2nd and 3rd gear road, but every once in awhile I would zing it up towards redline just to hear the beautiful noise from the 180 degree exhausts.

If anything, this car has TOO much power. Mine will definitely have a 440-450 hp 331-inch small block instead of a 427-inch Windsor. That would be just about perfect IMHO.

I also noted that the steering ratio is VERY quick, very go-kart like, but the steering effort was very heavy at least partially due to the small steering wheel fitted. As I'm a weakling, I will definitely be fitting an original-sized wheel (15 inch I believe), since I'm small enough that legroom isn't an issue.

When we arrived at Mike's shop, I was reluctant to get out of the car. I shut it off and could hear the honeybees ringing in my ears, and loved it!

Now I'm more committed than ever to the notion of getting one of these suckers for myself. Since Mike's car is up on the lift, mostly dismantled, it was possible to very closely examine the car and see all of its strong points (and some of its inherent weaknesses that Mike is eliminating before putting the car on the road).

I'm sold!

Now, to come up with the coin to make it all happen. I'll be beavering away for the next couple of years, for sure.

Thanks to both Mike and Jack for showing me some incredible hospitality!

they are fun. I had my SPF MK11 dialed in pretty well but the steering is somewhat heavy. the 427 roush is a joy to drive fast. It is now in the hands of a nice gentleman from europe, as I sold it 3 weeks ago, I hope he enjoys it. chuck

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
The weekend was far to much fun, I am not worth a dime this week for work, wish we were still in Mikes garage.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Mike,

Mine (P2125 detailed in the SPF forum here) powered by 427 FE by Keith Craft with over 550HP and Tq driving a new RBT M1 (install by Olthoff, tweaking by me) is docile at 2,000 RPM (70MPH) and a joy to drive ( I regularly take it for 300 mile rides and now have close to 2,000 miles on her.

I find throttle force comfortable (have double springs too and don't have fatigue driving steady 2 hrs), shifting with my center full rod shift linkage is great (Olthoff special design as I wanted Rod Shift but, left drive).

Steering with factory steering wheel no road issues (I don't find it "too quick" but, maybe due to larger dia steering wheel?) but, needs some force for parking (not a real problem)

Olthoff alignment and corner wt set up is great (car tracks true and predictable in all attitude)

Steve

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great story!!!

So Mike - Are you going to build your own or purchase an SPF roller or?

Great story!!!

So Mike - Are you going to build your own or purchase an SPF roller or?

Well, it seems that everyone who has gone through Dennis Olthoff has emerged a very happy camper, and so that's the avenue I will probably pursue. However, there are enough little detaily things that I will want changed to make it more authentic that I might find myself screwing around with it for quite some time after getting it.

I'm not at all impressed with the SPF exhaust system, for example, and would probably source one from Safir (assuming it is fully authentic). Mike Trusty showed me a number of problem areas on his own car that he had to address, such as the sway bar mounts (purchased original style replacements from Cushman), sway bar arms (they aren't splined deeply enough and thus they don't 'grab' the sway bar properly), the twin nostril nose (the SPF version curiously ducts 1/3 of the air behind the radiator straight back under the car instead of out the nose, where the Cushman version is properly set up with a deep "V" and will do a much better job:

nose_insert_5_op_800x600.jpg

I'd also want an original-style wheel from Moto-Lita instead of the wheel that comes with the SPF kit. The parking brake lever in the center console would probably have to go over the hedge; I don't know if I would opt for an original-style parking brake (I think sourced from a period Ford Cortina, can anybody confirm/deny?) or just do without. And for sure my car will have proper "Ford" sill stripes, not SPF or GT40.

The fact that the opening for the carburetors is in the wrong place (offset to one side, precluding the use of a proper heat shield box) is also distressing. That would either require extensive work to fix it (cutting it out, moving it, installing another piece to fill the resulting gap), or the entire tail section would have to be replaced (again, Cushman's unit seems to be proper in this regard).

It will be interesting to see if SPF will work with me and allow me to buy a car minus the bits that I want left behind, such as the exhaust, tail section, twin nostril nose, steering wheel, etc. Those individual pieces have a fairly significant cost, and I would hope there would be a credit applied towards the final cost for those pieces that they aren't asked to supply.

All of this is conjecture at this point--I'm still socking away my pennies and it will be at least another year or two before I start getting serious. In all likelihood I will first concentrate on getting the engine/gearbox setup, and those might wind up sitting on a stand in my bedroom as motivation for awhile until I can save up for the rest of the car.

But mark my words--there will be a GT40 in my garage someday! :thumbsup:

Back