Getting to basics

G

Hello everyone, my name is Charlie. I am a recently graduated Chiro and am slowly saving up for a RF-GT40 (hope to have placed an order with Robert by next xmas). I have beinf obsessed with the car since the age of 9 (I am 27 now) ever since my father had me watching Steve McQueen movies. In the mean time I read and droooole over your pictures and comments. I am very impressed with the degree of knowledge and level of skill displayed by the members of the forum.

I do have some questions for those in the know - reading about car set ups, braking, gearing etc I believe it is important that I get some basic fundementals - as I find it difficult to follow some of the advice written in the comments especially as it pertains to technical matters. As I will begin by purchasing a rolling chasis kit, I would like to know if any one can recommend any particular reading matter which may bring me up to speed (to a small degree) on car set up. I have literally no experience in building or even working on cars (human anatomy is so much simpler!!
grin.gif
). As I basically have a year to go (we are expecting our first in 1 month), I expect that I will have plenty of late nights to read and get a basic grounding. My expectations are on a car that I will basically use every day, track days occasionally, but basically a show pony with a Ford Windsor 302 in it (that ought to get Enzo worried). Essentially a show car that works as good as it looks. I realise that Roberts advice will be invaluable, though I still think it is important that I understand what I am doing, rather than follow a cook book recipe.

Your suggestion and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a happy new year.

PS - I love the pictures - they are inspirational, more please.

PSS - Robert could you get the article from unique cars up here?

Hi Charlie,
Welcome to the forum.
There is a number of books on the market in reprint about the GT40. They have a lot of pictures and history.
As far as the RFGT40, you can see some photos of a couple in various stages on Ron Earps web site www.gt40s.com
There is also a lot of pictures on the threads here. So just keep checking in and you will eventually see just about every aspect of the different GTs.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

Bob Bondurants book is considered a Bible here as it is so good. Cheap too. Useful for a builder to as it takes till chapter 7 before you turn on the engine! It talks a lot about setting up the cockpit to the driver to make the driver more comfortable and able toconcentrate on driving and not where the hell the gear stick has got to! I spent three days playing with the throttle position in relation to my brake pedal and benefited greatly for track driving. If I had done that during my build it would have been easier.

If you want to understand what does what and why on the chassis and suspension then get books on that as listed above. Get a variety as no-one will agree on everything. Any book by Alan Staniforth is worth reading as he is a guru here on suspension and handling.

I have no qualifications on auto engineering but am self taught from books and talking to people. My ambition now is to design and build my own single seater. This all started from a low knowledge level when I was 19 and got sucked in ever since. You will learn so much by building your own car. If you were told just how much now, you wouldn't beleive it!

Malcolm

I pilfered this info from www.corner-carvers.com, but there's some good stuff here, much of which is applicable to building and driving a GT40.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Going Faster: Mastering the Art of Race Driving: The Skip Barber Racing School, Carl Lopez, 1998, $29.95

<LI>Tune to Win, Carroll Smith, 1979, $19.95

<LI>Engineer to Win: The Essential Guide to Racing Car Materials Technology or How to Build Winners Which Don't Break, Carroll Smith, 1985, $18.36

<LI>Caroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, and Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook, Carroll Smith, 1990, $15.96

<LI>Drive to Win: The Essential Guide to Race Driving, Carroll Smith and Iam Bamser (editor), 1996, $19.96

<LI>Ayrton Senna's Principles of Race Driving, Aytron Senna, 1993, $18.36

<LI>Secrets of Solo Racing: The Expert Techniquies for Autocrossing and Time Trials, Henry A. Watts, 1990, $14.95

<LI>Auto Fundamentals: How and Why of the Design, Construction, and Operation of Automobiles, Martin W. Stockel et al, 1996, $39.96

<LI>Race Car Chassis: Design and Construction, Forbes Aird, 1997, $15.96

<LI>Aerodynamics for Racing and Performance Cars, Forbes Aird, 1997, $13.56

<LI>Sports Car and Competition Driving, Paul Frere, 1992, $14.36

<LI>Mustang Performance Handbook: Engine and Drivetrain Modifications for Street, Strip, Drag Strip, or Road Racing Use, William R. Mathis, $13.56

<LI>Mustang Performance Handbook 2: Chassis and Suspension Modifications for Street, Drag, and Road Racing Use (Includes Suspension Geometry, Chassis Setup, etc), William R. Mathis, 1995, $13.56

<LI>Race Car Engineering and Mechanics, Paul Van Valkenburg, 1993, $13.56

<LI>Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving, Bob Bondurant and John Blakemore, $12.76

<LI>Chassis Engineering/Chassis Design, Building and Tuning for High Performance Handling, Herb Adams, 1993, $13.56

<LI>Performance Handling/How to Make Your Car Handle Techniques for the 1990's, Don Alexander, 1991, $14.36

<LI>Think to Win: The New Approach to Fast Driving, Don Alexander, 1995, $15.96

<LI>How to Make Your Car Handle, Fred Puhn, 1983, $13.56

<LI>Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics (R114), Thomas D. Gillespie, 1992, $69.00
[/list]

Regards,
Mark

G

Gents,

Thanks for the advice. I am now ordering the books (the majority) and have taken your recommendations to heart. I really appreciate your time and warm attitude. I'll keep everyone in the know on what I am doing.

Again many thanks
grin.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Along the thread that Dr C started here; does anyone have recommendations regarding sport driving schools for the complete novice? I have heard that the Bondurant school is excellent; anything closer to home around here? (I am in Maryland). I have a feeling that even when I finally am behind the wheel of my own GT40, this will not be the place to begin learning about high-speed driving, better to start in something more docile and manageable...
I add my thanks to Charlz, for all the incredibly useful and accurate info found on this forum, as well as entertaining opinions and photos...
Jim R

Jim,

Virginia International in Alton, Va, is a
3.27mi road course. It is a FAST TRACK!
Summit Point In Summit Point, W.Va. is a 2
mile road course, only about 1 1/2 hours from
you.
Both have novice to experienced driving
schools open to the public. Track time is
available per their schedules and your
abilities.
Both tracks also host a quite a number of events, SCCA, historic stuff, and the like.
Their websites give all of the particulars.

Bill

I am looking for books that may show technical details of the different GT40's. I am also interested in the differences between the Mk I, Mk II, and Mk IV versions. Most of the books I have seen are not technical at all. Any sugestions?

Thanks

G

Trevor Legate's new book Ford GT40, Production and Racing History plus individual Chassis Record published by veloce books is the only book I know of that looks at originals and discusses replicas. He also puts in the parts list with diagrams that could show you some detail on the original cars.
www.velocebooks.com should help you get it.

I think this is a brilliant book...but I am biased having my car photo'ed in it in the replica section.

Malcolm

You wana cheap and easy way of getting a practical understanding of the dynamics of a racecar but you don’t have access to a race-track? Here’s whatcha do
wink.gif

When the family have all gone to bed, sneak into the kiddies bedroom and borrow the Playstation. Then go to your secret location behind the cupboard and take out your copy of Gran Turismo (race car game).

Then go-fur-yer-life changing the milliard of suspension and aerodynamic settings. Its impressive how true-to-life the physics are. In fact it’s probably more of a simulator than a game.

But here’s the clincher for all of you that thought you had all the memorabilia – Gran Turismo 2 has a GT40!!!, including the famous 1075. Hey, maybe we can even start a competition here. Quickest time around Laguna Seca in a GT40. Just don’t let the kids find out.
grin.gif

Charles:
As it happens, this is my first post as a recent addition to the forum. No GT40 yet, but having just built the garage in which it will be built, it's just a matter of time now.
Regarding performance driving schools, I think I have a pretty good perspective, in that I have attended 4 different schools, along with 2 karting schools. (I've worked for both Road & Track, and Automobile magazines over the course of some 16 years, so all the schools came under the heading of 'client entertainment'! Yeah, sure!!) Without question, in my humble opinion, Derek Daly's school in Las Vegas is so much better than the others (Barber, Bondurant, & Russell). The cars are better (FF2000 based on a chassis that won the SCCA National Championship 4 years ago). The technology is better (on board data loggers let you know EVERYTHING you did in that car). The tracks are better (choice of 2 separate and distinct tracks). And frankly, Las Vegas is a pretty neat place these days, and not terribly expensive (neither airfare, or hotels). Rather than go to a local school and get a marginal experience, save your money and do it right. You will not regret it.

Call Debbie Kamen and book a 3 day school (take your wife, as with the new baby, she'll need a vacation). Tell her Bob Weber sent you...they'll take good car of you.

Cheers,
Bob

Back