15 inch tyres.....

I too would like
Fr 235 55 R 15
Rr 295 50 R 15
preferably Z-rated.
I got 7" rims at the front and 10" at the rear. Would these sizes fit?

Malcolm

Supporter
I have arranged to send in my collected data at the end of november. Therefore please make a post here if you want to contribute. The info is going down well at Avon and interesting comments are coming back. More support the better. Please contribute if you haven't already. Thanks

I currently have a set of Goodyear vintage race tires that are 26.5x8.0-15 (279/51x15, front) and 26.5x10.0-15 (328/45x15, rear) but they are nearly 10 years old and not DOT approved. I would like to replace them with a set of DOT approved race tires.

Malcom,

I hope you still have my info I sent earlier.
I also want to join as I have Vintage Dunlop racing tires and it does not really suit for road driving.
Let me know best tires for both street and track(last one ad hoc).
Rgds
Fred

If Avon could put a couple of extra inches in the width of their 245/60 - 15 that would be ideal. Keeping the same rolling radius I'm guessing that would make a 295/50 - 15

Put me down as wanting a 295 width (or similar) !

I know that companies like Dunlop and BF Goodrich have 295 50R15 tires on the market. The construction is the same as a Z rated tire, the rubber compound however is a little different. My car comes with from the CAV factory:

235 60-15F on 8" rims
295 60-15R on 10" rims

Can you not get these tires in your areas?
Check www.tirerack.com

I currently have the excellent Avon CR6ZZ 216 / 245 60 R15 fitted to my Mallock GT40 and have also pestered the Avon tech sales guys for some wider rubber.
You and they have my full support and commitment to purchase more of their tyres and the availability of a 285 50 R15 would be well received.

I tried Andrew Fordyce's GTD fitted with the Avon CR6ZZ tyres last week and was very impressed. They will probably be the next purchase for road/wet use but would be even better a little bit wider.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
For road use, and occasional vintage rallies, on 15" rims, what size would you guys advise? I expect to be using 8" rims front, 10" rear. See a post I put on "Wheels" by the way.

There has been a lot of recent message traffic on www.clubcobra.com about new 15-inch street legal (in the U.S.) tires for Cobras. A few pre-production tires appear to have been produced, in fact. Given the similarity in rim sizes between the 427 Cobra (7-1/2 inch width in street trim, 7-1/2 and 9-1/2 inch comp rims) and GT40, perhaps the GT40s.com folks who are interested in 15-inch tires can be hooked up with the clubcobra.com effort? If anyone is interested, do a search for messages by "tireguy" on www.clubcobra.com for the latest info.

Malcolm

Supporter
We have already made the Avon guys aware of the Club Cobra thread. It is very useful info as it shows an even bigger market than just GT40s.

I am going to be putting all my info together in the next few days to send out so this really is a last call for support.

While it might not be historic tread, Evo have an article on the new Caterham, which is using 8x15 and 10x15 and they are working with Avon to produce a special tyre, I smell opportunity...

Brett

Malcolm
I thought I had already posted on this subject, but checking back, it seems I haven't.
I've got CR6ZZs at the moment. The 215's on the front are fine, but I would like a wider rear ( 245 at the moment ).

Don't forget, it's not just the width that is a concern, the rolling radius is important too. Michelin TB's are available in road-legal extra wide 15" sizes (315 from memory) but the rolling radius is small.

The nice thing about the cr6zz is that is is a 'taller' tyre than others available, even tho it's a bit narrow.

Rolling radius data is available on the tyre manufacturers web-sites if you're interested....

Let's hope Avon can do something. I'm currently running Hoosier DOT Radials
Front- 45520 P 245/50 ZR-15
Rear- 45540 P 275/50 ZR-15
Circumference Front- 77.1" Diameter- 24.5"
Rear- 79.5" - 25.3"
Seem to work OK, though not as good as the Avon Slicks, Just need a second set of rims so that I can have a set of Road Tyres and Slicks!

Back