Advertising Cars For Sale on GT40s.com

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Frank et al,<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
This has been a good discussion and for the most part a levelheaded one as we generally have on GT40s.com. Clearly I’m a bit more in the “pay if you play” camp with respect to car adverts, but I do see the merits of having any car up for sale on the forum.<o:p></o:p>
The geographic differences are pronounced! Curious. The UK seems to prefer to some extent an “old school” way of selling the car – low key, word of mouth, using brokers/friends/hobbyists/mechanics to sell the car. Definitely happens here in the US too but it is not the main way cars are moved.<o:p></o:p>
Myself, I am a chronic car shopper. I love to “shop” for cars and use many sources to do so, including forums. Smart forums, Cougar forums, Mustang forums, Viper forums, Cobra forums, Z forums, Porsche forums – just a few of the forums I’ve visited in the last 14 days or so looking at cars for sale (jonesing for a drivable manual transmission runabout). All of these sites use the “pay to play” method with respect to advertising a car for sale. But, there are a few forums that do not use that model, but they are generally far larger than GT40s.com and have many advertisers.<o:p></o:p>
I’ll talk to Paul and see what I can come up with. <o:p></o:p>
Ron<o:p></o:p>

OK, one more thought. And this makes the issue a bit cloudier.

Currently, when someone spies a 40 (or related interesting
vehicle) or parts for sale elsewhere, especially eBay, they
get posted to the forum. Now, the poster need not be a paying
member, and obviously the seller can be totally oblivious to
the post, but that is allowed. So, I find it hard to mandate
being a paid member to post info about a friend's car for sale
when one can post endlessly about what they found on eBay.
And, I don't see the need to require paid membership to
point out an eBay sale.

So, I think the following might be a decent solution. Either
paid membership or small fee to advertise your vehicle/parts
here, with pictures and contact info. However, unpaid links
to completely external sites without contact info could be done
free. The issue of advertising for a friend is still kind of grey,
but I guess my final word would be that what Frank is doing is
fine since he is a paid member and not posting any pictures or
contact info. If he wanted to post pictures and contact info, than
I would say that the seller needs to pony up.

And, in that regard, I totally agree with Frank. Whether or not
the seller leaves GT40s.com land or not, it's the new owner that
we really want on board. And, odds are, they already are here.

Ian

So, all this back and forth. I have an '05 GT that I inherited. I want to sell it now! I thought that this would be the right place to do that since it is such a special car. Seems to be too much trouble though. If I can post it somewhere in your forum please let me know. Otherwise you guys never get a shot at this car.

Ron Earp

Admin
Soprano1,

Thanks for joining GT40s.com.

GT40s.com is a forum dedicated to the real and replica GT40s, GT40 being the race winning car designed in the 60s.

If you are interested in selling a Ford GT you might wish to go over to:

The Ford GT Forum - Powered by vBulletin

I think you'll find the audience you seek there.

If you'd like to advertise it on this site we have a "GT40s For Sale" subforum and you can post it there once you become a forum supporter (see my signature).

Best regards,
Ron

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
What is the problem kiddies? Don't get you own way so spit the dummy and throw the toys out of the pram?
$25.00 for a years membership and the opportunity to advertise your GT40 on this forum with unlimited photos and text is the bargain of the century.
This whole discussion just amazes me.:mad:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
...Otherwise you guys never get a shot at this car.

Well, I don't know about anyone else but my week has certainly been ruined knowing I'll 'never get a shot at this car.'

Hey, Soprano - maybe you ought to take the car over to Park Place in Bellevue. I'm sure the commission they'll charge for selling your 6-figure car will undoubtably be less than 20 bucks. :thumbsup:

Back