Any real GT40 owners out there lurking ?

Thank you very much, Driven !
Really interesting...
Like an addict; keep it coming !....
Thanks,

Regards, Marco

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The AM GT40s must be some of the rarest ones...would you mind a few questions, I'll try not to make it too many...
Do the AM cars have aluminum or fiberglass bodywork; I recall reading that to make them lighter they had aluminum bodies? Also, I understand these cars had changes made to the suspension pickup or mounting points which made them handle better. Is that true, and if so, is that data or those changes reproducible on a monocoque that would be built today? How much of a difference would it make in handling, do you think?
Also, pardon my ignorance, who is Alan Mann and how come, in all the GT40 books and articles I've read, there is never a quote from Alan Mann and never a photo of him? Is he unusually reclusive or (regrettably) no longer alive? It's a bit mysterious; everyone else seems accounted for one way or another. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.
Your GT40 is a real piece of history- good on you for keeping it up so well and good for you to have such a unique car...

Thanks Driven. I remember reading in Classic & Sports years ago that it was bought by someone in the US. Paul was what you people would call a "peppertree mechanic" or "shadetree mechanic" which is the right terminolgy please
Jim, I believe that Alan Mann is still alive and in a Aircraft business in England. Can someone from there clarify this?

AM1 and AM2 were built with aluminum bodywork and ran at Sebring in the Prototype class. AM2 was driven by Jackie Stewart and Graham Hill. They DNF'd. AM2 was also entered in the LeMans test days with the same drivers (plus Paul Hawkins), but the car was withdrawn at the last moment in favor of the Mk II's.When AM2 was sold to Paul Hawkins, he wanted to run in Group 4 so he changed to "standard" fiberglass panels. The car was raced for several years, and over these years he modified the standard panels considerably. The twin nostril nose was changed to a single, and the rear section was widened to accomodate the wider tires that were becoming necessary. John Allens first book: The Ford That Beat Ferrari has extensive coverage, showing virtually all the mods over the years.
I understand that there was changes to the suspension and such, but I've never seen a listing of them nor compared the car to a "production" GT40. As far as handling better, I've never driven another so I have no basis for comparrison.
Alan Mann performed much the same function as Holman-Moody and Shelby. They all worked on development to various degrees. Mann built a total of 5 cars: The two lightweights and three of the Mk II's.

Thanks, Driven..

Regards,
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Much obliged. If I can ever find TFTBF at an affordable (no pun intended) price, I am going to buy it and read it. Unfortunately it appears to be a collectors' item and I can't find a copy at less than about 400$US. If anyone has a "driver" copy, an extra they would like to part with, could they let me know?

Back