Audi 016,Porsche 944,Re-spline of 016

Jim, was that shifter lengthening based on using the Audi 016 selectors rods?

I was planning on using the 944 S2 selector rods, which I would have thought would be the correct length once the spacer is installed. The length difference between the two was a thicker flange on the ali front case of the 944, so I'd think the selectors will work as is? We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Basically, the only 016 part I'm using is the Ali front trans case. The rest is 944 S2, though I'll be of course keep using my rear case strengthening plate and machined down rear ali case.

Cheers,

Julian

Jim, was that shifter lengthening based on using the Audi 016 selectors rods?

I was planning on using the 944 S2 selector rods, which I would have thought would be the correct length once the spacer is installed. The length difference between the two was a thicker flange on the ali front case of the 944, so I'd think the selectors will work as is? We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Basically, the only 016 part I'm using is the Ali front trans case. The rest is 944 S2, though I'll be of course keep using my rear case strengthening plate and machined down rear ali case.

Cheers,

Julian

Yes Extra 4mm is based on the 016 Audi selector shafts.
I was only given a crown wheel and pinion when I did the conversion.
I would measure forward from the rolled pin holes where the forks attach and check the 944 items, should be longer.

Your getting their by the sound of it.

Jim

Well, finally after much hassles with the spacer plate machining, the trans is together and running happily in the car as of Tuesday. Took the day off work and went hard, getting it all running mid arvo. Haven't put foot down yet, going to give it a few k's driving normally to bed the pinion and crownwheel in, but can say it feels and shifts identical to the standard 016 trans, which is to be expected I guess. Final thickness of spacer plate was 3.71 mm, though I'd suggest you measure carefully if contemplating this conversion yourself.

Got a track test day lined up in a couple of weeks, so hopefully everything behaves itself and I can start tuning the chassis now I have front and rear anti-roll bars fitted and have analysed the car suspension to death with a monster spreadsheet over the past few months since I haven't been able to drive it!

Rolling (for now) Julian

Re: Audi 016 goes Bang!

Is there anyone in the world that makes gear sets for 016's?
Straight cuts or similar?

I guess high hp sticky track tyres and getting on it popped the box.

Have any of the RF Boys had this problem? Who else use's the 016?

The 016 is horribly weak, after about 325 foot pounds you start having problems and 400 ft lbs destruction is guaranteed. No company makes alternative gears although i looked into it awhile ago and cost was 6,000 pounds. Want stronger use an 01E or a porsche box. 01E's have held up to over 1,000 bhp and 850 ft/lbs in drag race cars.

Back