Burning Volts.

Gents, you know, the one thing.....the absolute one singular thing...that drives an obnoxious loud mouth totally and completely nuts.....is to be ignored.... It's also the one thing that shuts them up.

Just sayin'

I would think it is a good idea to ignore people who have used several aliases to further their business interests on an enthusiasts' site as a good idea.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have done wrong, cliff, good job!

"(A)dd $240 million in Energy Department grants doled out to G.M. last summer, $150 million in federal money to the Volt’s Korean battery supplier, up to $1.5 billion in tax breaks for purchasers and other consumer incentives, and some significant portion of the $14 billion loan G.M. got in 2008 for “retooling” its plants, and you’ve got some idea of how much taxpayer cash is built into every Volt.

Speaking of those “tax breaks for purchasers and other consumer incentives” - as of November of last year that tally all by itself was $250,000 per Volt sold.

And that excruciating pain is ongoing. Again, a Volt sold makes GM no money - but costs We the Taxpayers a $7,500 bribe - I mean “incentive.” Oh - and President Obama wants to jack that bribe to $10,000 per.

I guess it’s good news after all that Volt sales remain so anemic.

And with GM’s new 60-day return policy, it looks like you can buy a Volt and cash the $7,500 bribe check. Then return the Volt - and keep the $7,500 bribe cash. How’s that for Taxpayer coin stewardship?"

Read more: Media Fail: Chevy Volt Makes NO Money, Costs Taxpayers Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars Per Car | NewsBusters.org

I would think it is a good idea to ignore people who have used several aliases to further their business interests on an enthusiasts' site as a good idea.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have done wrong, cliff, good job!

Bob, "further their business interests"? You're clearly delusional. I have no business interests relevant to GT40s or this site. You apparently just make stuff up to be annoying and contentious.

Put the bong down, float down from the ceiling, and get back on your meds man.

The Volt is a cool and innovative car. GM should be recognized for bringing such a car to the masses....at least one which is US branded.

It's not unsafe. Anything except sitting in locked and padded room has some risk, and even that has some risk of harm. Certainly anything that will propel one down the road at 60mph comes with some risk of harm. One of my f-cars regularly tries to catch on fire, hence the fire extinguisher I bolted to the driver's seat. Don't think I'd be considering any such safety additions to a Volt in the garage.

The Volt is a cool and innovative car. GM should be recognized for bringing such a car to the masses....at least one which is US branded.

It's not unsafe. Anything except sitting in locked and padded room has some risk, and even that has some risk of harm. Certainly anything that will propel one down the road at 60mph comes with some risk of harm. One of my f-cars regularly tries to catch on fire, hence the fire extinguisher I bolted to the driver's seat. Don't think I'd be considering any such safety additions to a Volt in the garage.

Hi, Cliff! This latest article I posted above only mentions the fires a little (they still don't know why). Since you seem not to have read the new article, let me fill you in. The jist of the story is how many thousands (and thousands) of government subsidies (that means the taxpayers, or the printing press are paying for it) are being spent to produce these cars. Sadly, GM isn't making any money (at all) on each sale :~(

Oh, did you know that GM is going to share all this really great technology with China??? Money well spent, huh?

P.S. the posts you responded to are fairly old now (I was just doing an update rather than starting a new thread :~), are you living in the past? Bongs, that's a left wing thing isn't it????? ;~)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Bongs, that's a left wing thing isn't it????? ;~)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Mr Fechter

Actually thats a musician, California thing, like you!

Oh, did you know that GM is going to share all this really great technology with China???
Mr Fechter

Do you mean battery, electric motor technology?

Everyone keep quiet, China has never heard of batteries.....................plus they would never think of buying one with all that super seceret technology!

Do you even think about what you post?

Last edited:
craik, sigh;

"The push for more advanced technology reflects China's frustrations with its continued weakness in automotive technology, analysts say. After 25 years of auto joint ventures that require local partners to hold at least a 50% stake, domestic automakers still lag behind global rivals in automotive engineering.

"China is not a technology leader in virtually any industry. The country has developed around low-cost production," said Bill Russo of consultancy Synergistics. "This is the irony, that the largest and biggest growth market has relatively weak domestic manufacturers."

GM deal moves electric car development to China -- a 'shakedown'?

I read an article some time ago that said China and Japan both had companies developing and selling electric cars , and both had strengths and wanted to work together , and might just have something if they could work together , but politics and borders get in the way .
If China gets American electric car technology , just think of all the lead paint that will burn releasing toxins into the atmosphere .

Hi, Cliff! This latest article I posted above only mentions the fires a little (they still don't know why). Since you seem not to have read the new article, let me fill you in. The jist of the story is how many thousands (and thousands) of government subsidies (that means the taxpayers, or the printing press are paying for it) are being spent to produce these cars. Sadly, GM isn't making any money (at all) on each sale :~(

Oh, did you know that GM is going to share all this really great technology with China??? Money well spent, huh?

P.S. the posts you responded to are fairly old now (I was just doing an update rather than starting a new thread :~), are you living in the past? Bongs, that's a left wing thing isn't it????? ;~)

Hi Bob, don't mean to start any new squabbling.....

Bongs and left wing? Not sure, never smoked a bong and I'm not quite sure what left wing means either to be honest. I assume there's some correlation between "left wing" and the democratic party, but that's just speculation on my part. All I know is that I make a tax deductible contribution to the democrats every once in a while. Same for the republicans.

And, yup, you're absolutely right. There's a hefty tax-funded cost borne by us fine tax payers to assist with the introduction and mass market awareness of hybrids (and other energy/green friendly automotive tech), but personally I'm cool with that. If it means a couple fewer B-1 bombers or aircraft carriers that's just fine. Other civilized countries need to start paying their fair share of globally policing the bad guys.

And, of course the Chinese will rip off the technology, either legally or illegally. It's what they do. But that'll be better for everyone than cranking out billions of cars with no pollution controls at all for domestic consumption. Heck, maybe they'll be the ones to make hybrid tech really affordable for everyone!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Cliff,

I also remember folks complaining about our oil dependancy and complaining about sending so much money to the Middle east. Folks were asking the govenment to do something about it.

So now when the govenment does something about it, those very same folks now complain about this.

I'm thinking that in a time of economic crisis, we use our money on something that might actually spur growth, rather than aiding China. As far as them "ripping it off anyway" they seemed to have a lot of trouble with missile guidance until clinton allowed the Loral Corp. to sell it to them. Same with multi nuclear war head tech until clinton opened the doors to Los Alamos.

As far as bongs go, you brought it up, and legalizing pot seems to be a liberal/Democrat agenda. I assumed you to be a liberal, my apologies. :~)

As to craik's crack about bongs, "Actually thats a musician, California thing, like you!" If your serious about music and choose to perform relatively difficult music, you can't be consistent, to say the least, on any drug or alcohol.

Q. What did the fans at a Grateful Dead concert say when the drugs ran out?

A. "What's that horrible music?"

Cliff,

I also remember folks complaining about our oil dependancy and complaining about sending so much money to the Middle east. Folks were asking the govenment to do something about it.

So now when the govenment does something about it, those very same folks now complain about this.

We have more oil than the Arab States and our "solution" is an impractical car no one wants or can afford anyway. This technology is many years away, battery tech being the main hindrance.

If we really wanted to win the war against terrorism, we would keep enough of our own oil to last 100 years and flood the world markets with the other two hundred years worth at a small fraction of what the cartel demands.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
We have more oil than the Arab States and our "solution" is an impractical car no one wants or can afford anyway. This technology is many years away, battery tech being the main hindrance.
Mr Fechter

This is not my solution.

So ealier you complained that we were going to share this incredable technology with China. Now you are saying this car is impractical with the technology many years away.

You really do not know what you are taking about, do you?

But knowing nothing does not stop you from talking, does it?

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
You say we have more oil than the Arab States. Just more evidence that you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you even think about what you post?

List of countries by proven oil reserves

<!-- /firstHeading --><!-- bodyContent --><!-- tagline -->From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
<!-- /tagline --><!-- subtitle -->
<!-- /subtitle --><!-- jumpto -->Jump to: navigation, search
<!-- /jumpto --><!-- bodycontent -->This is a list of countries by proven oil reserves. Proved reserves are those quantities of petroleum which, by analysis of geological and engineering data, can be estimated with a high degree of confidence to be commercially recoverable from a given date forward, from known reservoirs and under current economic conditions.

<TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: right" class="wikitable sortable jquery-tablesorter"><THEAD><TR><TH class=headerSort title="Sort ascending"></TH><TH class=headerSort title="Sort ascending">Country</TH><TH class=headerSort title="Sort ascending">Reserves (bbl)</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD>1</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Venezuela.svg.png
Venezuela (OPEC) <SMALL>(more information) (2012)</SMALL><SUP id=cite_ref-OPEC_0-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP></TD><TD>290,100,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>2</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Saudi_Arabia.svg.png
Saudi Arabia (OPEC) <SMALL>(more information) (2012)</SMALL><SUP id=cite_ref-Bloom_1-0 class=reference>[2]</SUP></TD><TD>269,800,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>3</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada <SMALL>(more information) (2012)</SMALL><SUP id=cite_ref-Bloom_1-1 class=reference>[2]</SUP></TD><TD>175,200,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>4</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Iran.svg.png
Iran (OPEC) <SMALL>(more information)</SMALL><SUP id=cite_ref-OPEC_0-1 class=reference>[1]</SUP></TD><TD>150,600,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>5</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Iraq.svg.png
Iraq (OPEC) <SMALL>(more information) (2010)</SMALL></TD><TD>143,500,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>6</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Kuwait.svg.png
Kuwait (OPEC) <SMALL>(more information) (2010)</SMALL></TD><TD>104,000,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>7</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_the_United_Arab_Emirates.svg.png
United Arab Emirates (OPEC) <SMALL>(more information) (2008)</SMALL></TD><TD>97,800,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>8</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia <SMALL>(more information) (2012)</SMALL><SUP id=cite_ref-Bloom_1-2 class=reference>[2]</SUP></TD><TD>88,200,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>9</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Libya.svg.png
Libya (OPEC) <SMALL>(more information) (2010)</SMALL></TD><TD>47,000,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>10</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Nigeria.svg.png
Nigeria (OPEC) <SMALL>(more information) (2011)</SMALL></TD><TD>37,200,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>11</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Kazakhstan.svg.png
Kazakhstan <SMALL>(2009)</SMALL></TD><TD>30,000,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>12</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Qatar.svg.png
Qatar (OPEC)<SMALL>(2009)</SMALL></TD><TD>25,410,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>13</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States <SMALL>(more information)</SMALL></TD><TD>19,120,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>14</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China</TD><TD>14,800,000,000<SUP id=cite_ref-2 class=reference>[3]</SUP></TD></TR><TR><TD>15</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil</TD><TD>12,860,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>16</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Algeria.svg.png
Algeria (OPEC)</TD><TD>12,200,000,000</TD></TR><TR><TD>17</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png
Mexico</TD><TD>10,420,000,000<SUP id=cite_ref-3 class=reference>[4]</SUP></TD></TR><TR><TD>18</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Angola.svg.png
Angola (OPEC)</TD><TD>9,500,000,000<SUP id=cite_ref-4 class=reference>[5]</SUP></TD></TR><TR><TD>19</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Azerbaijan.svg.png
Azerbaijan</TD><TD>7,000,000,000<SUP id=cite_ref-5 class=reference>[6]</SUP></TD></TR><TR><TD>20</TD><TD align=left>
22px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
Norway<SUP id=cite_ref-Bloom_1-3 class=reference>[2]</SUP></TD><TD>6,900,000,000</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mr Fechter, perhaps you should look for more gulible folks to tell your misleading/incorrect info to.

Perhaps a consevative group might believe your crap, from what I have seen, they will believe anything!

Last edited:
Mr Fechter

So ealier you complained that we were going to share this incredable technology with China. Now you are saying this car is impractical with the technology many years away.

You really do not know what you are taking about, do you?

But knowing nothing does not stop you from talking, does it?

The technology has cost us billions. Hopefully we can use it for something in the real world besides the car that is subsidized for hundreds of thousands each, and yet, still no one wants to buy it.

The electric car is decades away from being practical. New gas vehicles are extremely practical at a considerable discount on purchase price.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Oh said:
Posted br Mr Fechter

So were you wrong then or wrong now?

You probably have not thought about this, but this is just the sort of thing that helped make America great.

Just a few examples. Starting around the time of WWI, The US Government subsidized aircraft development, they paid many private companies: Lockeed, Boing, Douglass, Curtis...........the equivalent of billions.

Trust me, many, many of these early aircraft were decades from being practical. Many of these companies failed, but they were smarter than you and continued to subsidize the technology. That has worked out very well, has it not?

In the late 1950s the US government subsidized the development of rockets. They paid the equivemt of billions to Lockeed, General Dynamics, North American.............The early rockets all blew up, was that effort wasted?

There are many more examples, the transcontinental railway, Interstate Highway system, micro prossesors, computers..............

Thank God for smart! far sighted, brave folks, who do not listen to short sighted piss moaners.

Think outside the Fox:)

Yes solar electric and electric car tech is in the early stages of development, but I am positive that just like the early aircraft, early rockets and early computer chips, this is money well spent.

Last edited:
Back