Burning Volts.

Keith

Posted br Mr Fechter

So were you wrong then or wrong now?

Thank God for smart! far sighted, brave folks, who do not listen to short sighted piss moaners.

Oh gosh, is this type of retort really in the spirit of Ron's (refreshed) forum rules?

Actually, forget that as there is only one person that indulges in it. :)

Bob & Jim, it's obviously a case of unrequited love. Perhaps a motel room might be in order?

Jim, I wouldn't tell your charming wife about it - she knows about jerks and that could be misinterpreted... :)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Rule number one pretty much says it all. Keep it polite, above board, and treat your fellow members with respect. If you want to engage in banter, be argumentative, call people names, then do it on another website or at the very least take that behavior down into The Paddock where it is allowed.
posted by Ron

Keith, this is the paddock, is it not?

Keith

posted by Ron

"Rule number one pretty much says it all. Keep it polite, above board, and treat your fellow members with respect. If you want to engage in banter, be argumentative, call people names, then do it on another website or at the very least take that behavior down into The Paddock where it is allowed. "

Keith, this is the paddock, is it not?

Darn! Missed that bit. Thanks for the info numbnuts....:pirate:

pirate-time-flies-when-you-re-having-rum-flag-5x3-2876-p.jpg

We have more oil than the Arab States and our "solution" is an impractical car no one wants or can afford anyway. This technology is many years away, battery tech being the main hindrance.

If we really wanted to win the war against terrorism, we would keep enough of our own oil to last 100 years and flood the world markets with the other two hundred years worth at a small fraction of what the cartel demands.

Bob, on the contrary, a good number of people want a more ecologically-friendly car than your average gas burner - the prevalence of the Toyota Prius is just one example. Not everyone wants one, but a very large number (absolute numbers and % of population) DO want such a vehicle, and they're willing to pay a modest premium for it....and already have. That's just plain fact, not opinion.

And you're right, battery tech is in its infancy, but it's no longer a new born, it's a toddler just starting to take the first faltering steps. But, as any parent knows, before you know it, that toddler is running about like crazy and full of energy! Same thing for fuel cells. If the gov't invested in a proper national hydrogen distribution system then we'd likely have a LOT of hydrogen fuel cell cars running about. Change is coming, like it or not.

"A hybrid, such as the Toyota Prius, Honda Insight and Honda Civic, costs anywhere from $3,500 to $6,000 more than a comparable conventional car. Despite ultra-impressive gas mileage, you'll have a tough time making up the price difference at the pump.

And that doesn't include any additional maintenance costs or the possibility that you may have trouble reselling the vehicle.

On the other hand, you do get a substantial tax break by purchasing a hybrid car."

Read more: Are hybrid cars worth it? Are hybrid cars worth it?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If people want to pay for and drive a Prius or some other hybrid I dont really give a shit. If it was my accountant I would sack him for being fiscally naive.
Others I just shake my head and smile.
What I really object to is government taxing us to subsidise these vehicles all because of a hoax.

Stopping production again. Surely this well end up being made in China.

"General Motors is halting, for a month, the manufacture of its well-known but seldom-sold Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car, according to trade publication Automotive News."

And, before the defenders come on board, the reason they sold more recently is because the government is buying them.

What a huge waste of our money.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Stopping production again. Surely this well end up being made in China.

"General Motors is halting, for a month, the manufacture of its well-known but seldom-sold Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car, according to trade publication Automotive News."

And, before the defenders come on board, the reason they sold more recently is because the government is buying them.

What a huge waste of our money.

Fancy that the Government wasting the taxpayers money:shocked:
How unusual..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Man there are a few buckets of bs being tossed about in this thread... :rolleyes:

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid. *Fully loaded with NAV / Leather / SunRoof - Cost me ~30k with a 7 year 100k mile warranty, tax, title and license.
This car has similar power as the V6 powered XLE Camry and is priced actually a little less all the while being similarly appointed.

Mileage - So far my best tank is 44.5 MPG. My worst tank is slugging through 8" of snow and sub-zero weather and got 30.0 MPG.

Hiway mileage is actually a lot better than EPA ratings. If I'm driving the speed limit I typically get 36-37 or so on average.. Around town, I drive a lot on the electric motor and get over 40 MPG consistently.

I can fit (and have) 5 full size adult men in my car along with luggage - and still knock down some seriously great mileage. Do that with an Echo or Yaris....

Battery Failures - According to a press release a few months back, Toyota has not (yet) had to replace any of their batteries due to failure during normal use. There have been failures that were attributed to physical damage and abuse (running the car out of gas and running on the batteries until they overheated).. From what I understand the 2007 and later cars have firmware that prevents this and allows the batteries to be used only for a short time when the gasoline engine will not run.

I'm not carrying any bumper stickers or GREEN signage.. I just got super tired of getting super p!ssed at the gas pumps... I visit the pump roughly every 3 weeks instead of double the frequency before I bought the car..

Call me what you want - but I call me HAPPY right now... I think I made the right call for me at the time. Your mileage may vary.

And yes - I am interested in the Chevy Volt and think it is probably the pinnacle of automotive hybrid technology right now..

Keith

Just imagine what mileage you would get if it were diesel!

My sister has just bought a Citroen Picasso (not hybrid) that is greener than a gasoline motor, 100 bhp and 65 mpg!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

My sister has just bought a Citroen Picasso (not hybrid) that is greener than a gasoline motor, 100 bhp and 65 mpg!

But to which Gallon do you refer?
The correct UK measure or that funny half sized American one?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ian

Keith

But to which Gallon do you refer?
The correct UK measure or that funny half sized American one?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ian

Sorry, doesn't run on weak tea......only skin burning cancer causing paint stripping proper fuel..:quirk:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Will it seat 5 full sized (I'm talking 6'+ tall) and carry a trunk full of luggage?

I think a diesel hybrid would be great, but I think the part that nips it for the diesel is how much battery current it takes to start them. The ICE in my Camry is constantly stopping and starting. Hard on the starter? I'm told it is not. You can't ever even hear the starter - even when starting out first thing in the morning.
I'm told that Toyota has some very special technology that (when the engine is at a dead stop) knows which piston is just past top dead center - then the computer causes that injector to spray a bit of fuel into that cylinder and then hits it with a spark. Since there may not be any compression in that cylinder, it may not be enough ommph to actually start the engine, but it will have enough force to compress the air in the next cylinder and the whole scenario begins again with a spray of fuel and spark etc..

The technology in these cars is frightening to many (myself included to some degree as I am not trained to work on it).. But just the same, you have to celebrate the successes and analyze the failures in order to make the next step in a more positive direction..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Luggage on the roof?

Looks like a stretched Smart Car to me...

Back