Current State of GT40 Market

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Its OK Howard we know what you meant!

I feel the above comments are all well though out and valid.

Personally, I do not care all that much about the market values as I fully intend to keep the Batmobile for ever, or t least as long as I can get my fat a** inside.

Safir Mark Vs? They do when they sell, I suppose, Ian. They don't seem to sell very often, or if they do, I don't hear of it, despite keeping an eye out for them in SCM etc. The Hagerty Cars That Matter price guide lists them at $230K for the coupe in Condition 1, and $300K for the roadster. The build years are specified as 1981-2009, which is about right.

Interestingly, the Kar Kraft continuation Mark IVs, which are still trickling out, from what I can gather, are valued at $260K. I hardly think you could buy one for that, but perhaps I am wrong. It seems to me that the T44 transaxle alone cost $30K a few years back.

Yes - Safir MkVs - "new baby-itis".

Also, the Holman Moody MkIIs also fetch a premium.

Again, I don't think these (Safir, HM, Kar Kraft) and some of the other extremely low volume nuts and bolts replicas are the kind this thread is about.

Also, there are others I left out - Southern GT, because, at present, I don't believe there are any completed vehicles changing owners yet, and GT40NZ/NA - they fall in line with the rest of the tube frame replicas. I am sure there are others I have missed.

Ian

The more I read of this thread (and YES I've read every written word) makes me even prouder to know I have a GT40 sitting in my garage just waiting to be driven and enjoyed. ERA, CAV, SPF and all the rest is all alphabet soup but the fact is they are all makers of one of the greatest cars ever regardless what one paid. And Yes some may be better than others but....KEVIN L as Ian previously said its about emotion and I bought mine after many sleepless nights thinking of how I could get one. After 6 months of no sleep and going through the agony of thinking my dream would never come true I finally got mine about a year ago. It's been an up and down experience since but when I'm out on a country road with that big FORD V8 thumping away and those 8 weber trumpets sitting in plain sight in my rear view mirror and when I get that rapid fire volley from the exhaust in a down shift over run I don't care how much it cost or who made it I'm in heaven and I bloody love it. KEVIN L kudos mate for getting many of us thinking but get out there and make a dream come true for yourself. You won't regret it.

The more I read of this thread (and YES I've read every written word) makes me even prouder to know I have a GT40 sitting in my garage just waiting to be driven and enjoyed. ERA, CAV, SPF and all the rest is all alphabet soup but the fact is they are all makers of one of the greatest cars ever regardless what one paid. And Yes some may be better than others but....KEVIN L as Ian previously said its about emotion and I bought mine after many sleepless nights thinking of how I could get one. After 6 months of no sleep and going through the agony of thinking my dream would never come true I finally got mine about a year ago. It's been an up and down experience since but when I'm out on a country road with that big FORD V8 thumping away and those 8 weber trumpets sitting in plain sight in my rear view mirror and when I get that rapid fire volley from the exhaust in a down shift over run I don't care how much it cost or who made it I'm in heaven and I bloody love it. KEVIN L kudos mate for getting many of us thinking but get out there and make a dream come true for yourself. You won't regret it.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I am working on it... Just need to find the right one for me

Kevin I'll see your 80 with a 57 and even less if I pull the ebay adds posted in another thread. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-cars-sale/31749-gtd-sale.html Now IMHO Chris I think has set a realistic price as even I don't think that they will dip to much below what he is asking. There have even been a few ebay adds with cars listed for less (the v6 one comes to mind) but than again no V8 so I will concede that the motor choice might make a difference. BTW Chris best of luck with your sale!!!!!

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Kevin I'll see your 80 with a 57

It isn't Kevin's 80, it's the seller's 80, and everyone knows buy-it-now prices are seller fantasies. So I think if you read the whole thread you'll see that we're all in violent agreement about GT-40 values.

Oh I wasn't trying to insinuate that Kevin was selling his just countering his proof of pricing with another GT currently for sale on this forum. In the end it does seem to be that we as a group agree to some extent.

I'm with you Pat...that is a very good looking car. I'd make a low offer 'tween the starting bid and the asking price and see what happens. Lot of car for the money. But when you look at what Chris has on offer for the price.....I'd be banging my head to make a decision.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Oh I wasn't trying to insinuate that Kevin was selling his just countering his proof of pricing...

That was my point: Kevin said nothing about proof of pricing. He simply posted the listing as being a "data point," which it is, when it sells.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Speaking of data points, here's another: lot 390 at the BJ auction this weekend in Costa Mesa, CA (Orange County).

Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - The World's Greatest Collector Car Events and Auctions

Says it's CAV #53, with a targa top (?). Blue-White stripe/Black/"#2" Roundels, 550hp 427 Windsor, Webers, RBT, BRMs, GY Bluestreaks. Implies that it has a legitimate CA SB-100 registration.

Says it's a "replica resurrection"... that's one I hadn't heard before. I guess it's news to the owners of all the original cars that their cars have died. When I get mine running is there a ceremony? Do I need a priest?

Keith

Good point DM. Can I ask - what exactly constitues a 'Data Point?'

To me it sounds like a finite pont in an equation - but I've seen it here used in a somewhat, er, subjective sense.

Please, enlighten me...

Good point DM. Can I ask - what exactly constitues a 'Data Point?'

To me it sounds like a finite pont in an equation - but I've seen it here used in a somewhat, er, subjective sense.

Please, enlighten me...

Definitions of data point on the Web:

datum: an item of factual information derived from measurement or research
A data point is one particular number or item from a data set
In statistics, a data point is a single typed measurement

It is not a finite result of an equation but rather a piece of data discovered through research. One can then make decisions (in this case, what I might pay for a GT40) based on data that has been uncovered.

I am sure this post will result in a multitude of folks questioning why anyone in their right mind would use a term like "data point" when it is an emotional purchase. Fair enough; flame suit on...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
To me, a data point is an integer that can be subsequently used in a graphic representation. A data pint is just under half a litre or 20 fluid ounces though weights vary.

Back