Fair price for a RF GT40?

Seams to be on the mark price wise. And as stated, second hand is the only way to get a 302

There is another GT40 in a dealership, Melbourne, Northern end of Spenser St for sale at the moment as well. Can’t remember the price, is north of 100k aus, and the spec is not as good in my opinion.

Ryan,
I drive past that dealership (Gran Turismo Auto) every day to work and back but its never open at that time. The car looks great in the gulf colours. I always wonder about it though. Can you give any more info? Manufacturer? Registered? Condition? If not, then I'll just have make the effort myself :)

Hi Chris

the car in Spenscer street according to Unique cars is a GTD, I don't believe is currently registered but they advertise it as 'street registerable'. Other than tha I don't know the specs but they want I think $140K for it.

Regards

Jack

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks, I suppose my point is actually applying a value to a car that
is so individual in terms of build cost / perceived value / Actual value compared to say a factory car and what the market will pay in terms of how long will it take to get a kit. DRB has a waiting list for a approx 50 weeks at the moment for a basic kit, how long will it take for a turn key??
So I suppose if your desperate to get into a GT40 in Australia then you will pay $120 000 - $150 000ish. If you can wait and build it yourself then you will save $50-$60 000 IMHO.

[

That depends on what you value your labour at. I estimate about 300 to 400 man hours to complete a body chassis unit to the paint stage. Others may have different estimates dependant on skill and time available.

Hi Chris

the car in Spenscer street according to Unique cars is a GTD, I don't believe is currently registered but they advertise it as 'street registerable'. Other than tha I don't know the specs but they want I think $140K for it.

Regards

Jack

In my "other role" as Vicroads VASS signatory I was asked to evaluate this vehicle for registration certification.

Lets just say a prospective buyer might want to ask "in which country is it registerable" Certainly not Australia in anything like it's current spec.

Regards PB

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
In my "other role" as Vicroads VASS signatory I was asked to evaluate this vehicle for registration certification.

Lets just say a prospective buyer might want to ask "in which country is it registerable" Certainly not Australia in anything like it's current spec.

Regards PB

There you go gentlemen, another reason why this forum is so valuable.
Thanks PB.

That depends on what you value your labour at. I estimate about 300 to 400 man hours to complete a body chassis unit to the paint stage. Others may have different estimates dependant on skill and time available.

Exactly Pete, What my labour is worth to you may greatly differ to what I think it's worth. I built my car for fun and don't factor labour price into selling it.

That's interesting, PB. When I enquired about this car a while ago, the dealer said sure it was registerable, he was in the process and just had to get a couple of things done. I said it would be a lot more appealing (to me) if it was actually registered in Vic. or NSW.

Dalton

That's interesting, PB. When I enquired about this car a while ago, the dealer said sure it was registerable, he was in the process and just had to get a couple of things done. I said it would be a lot more appealing (to me) if it was actually registered in Vic. or NSW.

Dalton

Hi Dalton,

thats been the status for a long time, you know there's a big difference between "getting a couple of things done" and screwing the rego plates on. We were asked to provide a bunch of parts but they have not been collected.

Perhaps it has progressed without us, although another signatory who works here at APS/RF with us specifically on imports was also asked to evaluate the car with (as you would expect) much the same results.

I wish the dealers/owners all the best - hopefully they get it done, it's a head turner and great for the marque in Aus to have another one on the road,

Paul B

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Without Rego, I think $140k is way over the top. Often getting compliance and Rego is the most difficult and frustrating part of the exercise.

With respect to all the car dealers out there, of course it is registrable, everything is, given enough time, money and expertise. So he is not really telling porkies....is he?;)

He is a salesman they make it sound so easy.
Someone who gets caught up in the moment will buy it and find out the hard way.

The owner needs to get it done.

Jim

Last edited:
Ryan,
I drive past that dealership (Gran Turismo Auto) every day to work and back but its never open at that time. The car looks great in the gulf colours. I always wonder about it though. Can you give any more info? Manufacturer? Registered? Condition? If not, then I'll just have make the effort myself :)

To add to what others have said.

I believe it cam from Japan, they have other import vehicles from USA as well. 289SBF Renault transaxle, right hand sill mounted rod change. 15” 3 piece wheels of unknown make, painted in Gulf orange.
I don’t think the engine would have a chance of passing emissions laws. For some reason I have a feeling that the car is over 15 years of age, so therefore does not have to?

Paul B - I will have to come and have a chat to you at some stage, better to start on the right foot. when is a good time.

Kind Regards
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

usually any time, please give me a call first as sometimes I'm off site with customers or suppliers. 9455 1511

Yes, when taking on one of these projects in Aus with our special rules and regs, it's always best to start off having a signatory involved, I'm more than happy to help - the regs can be tricky and I'm sure our current clients have found the "one stop shop" with regards to compliance, parts and info rather handy.

This is actually how I came to be involved with Old RF, and it's now become a service only we can offer I believe.

I'll look forward to your visit.

Regards Paul

To add to what others have said.

I believe it cam from Japan, they have other import vehicles from USA as well. 289SBF Renault transaxle, right hand sill mounted rod change. 15” 3 piece wheels of unknown make, painted in Gulf orange.
I don’t think the engine would have a chance of passing emissions laws. For some reason I have a feeling that the car is over 15 years of age, so therefore does not have to?

Paul B - I will have to come and have a chat to you at some stage, better to start on the right foot. when is a good time.

Kind Regards
Ryan

The yellow RF advertised for sale is an outstanding example. I watched this car throughout its build and have seen it on many occasions since its completition. It was built to a very high standard by a very qualified person and incorporated the best of everything. Although it has covered 25,000 km it had had a very easy life and has been exceptionally well cared for. Most of its driving has been on long open road trips with a seriously enforced speed limit of 100 or 110 kph.

Hi guys,

I think I might have bought the car you are talking about here. It wasn't overpriced, it is an absolute gem. Even more so now that it's getting a second round of mods. It really is a "restorer's dream" as there's nothing that needs doing. Further mods are always best when working with a quality start point. And lets not forget, I bought this as my daily driver, and it cost less than an M3 beemer, with a much better depreciation curve. Kitcar or not, I can't fault the quality of the build, and actually felt a bit like I was stealing the previous owners baby. I could have bough one for 50K less, but I would have spent 45K and heaps of hours getting it up to scratch. Seems like easy maths to me.

My only disappointment is that I no longer have time to do silly ground up builds, so I had to take the easy way out and buy one already complete.

p.s. Al, if you still read this forum, car's going well (except I've killed a gearbox - being fixed as we speak). Got tunes, cruise, climate and launch control ready to go in it now. It's also weathertight (nearly) for that long, Melbourne winter. I killed the box hooning. Never mind. The RF boys are hooking me up with a repair, because I want it back yesterday, which means I figured I better not even start the job myself.

Last edited:

RF134 in finally painted now and almost finished. I believe that I have about 25hrs to go before finished. At last count I was up to 3,120 hrs which is almost 4hrs each and every day on the car since I parked it in the garage. I know that a lot has been changed on the car which makes it very unique, but what value would you put on that time?

Hi guys,

I think I might have bought the car you are talking about here. It wasn't overpriced, it is an absolute gem. Even more so now that it's getting a second round of mods. It really is a "restorer's dream" as there's nothing that needs doing. Further mods are always best when working with a quality start point. And lets not forget, I bought this as my daily driver, and it cost less than an M3 beemer, with a much better depreciation curve. Kitcar or not, I can't fault the quality of the build, and actually felt a bit like I was stealing the previous owners baby. I could have bough one for 50K less, but I would have spent 45K and heaps of hours getting it up to scratch. Seems like easy maths to me.

My only disappointment is that I no longer have time to do silly ground up builds, so I had to take the easy way out and buy one already complete.

p.s. Al, if you still read this forum, car's going well (except I've killed a gearbox - being fixed as we speak). Got tunes, cruise, climate and launch control ready to go in it now. It's also weathertight (nearly) for that long, Melbourne winter. I killed the box hooning. Never mind. The RF boys are hooking me up with a repair, because I want it back yesterday, which means I figured I better not even start the job myself.

Hey Antony, the car you bought is definitely a gem, a credit to the guys who screwed it together and with your proposed upgrades you should really enjoy it - great choice. regards Paul

RF134 in finally painted now and almost finished. I believe that I have about 25hrs to go before finished. At last count I was up to 3,120 hrs which is almost 4hrs each and every day on the car since I parked it in the garage. I know that a lot has been changed on the car which makes it very unique, but what value would you put on that time?

Hi Bob, I think typically 6 - 800 hours would get you through a standard build, but as we know yours was faaaar from standard, we're all very much looking forward to info on your build ! If anyne has been lucky enough to see pics of various parts of Bob's car, you'll appreciate where the 3,120 hours went.

regards Paul

Guys, from observation and involvement, one thing I have noticed is that the man hours required to build an RF car, or similar, is that the hours working on the car can be drastically reduced by comunication with like minded builders, and RF itself, to get tips and ideas on the build process.

That is why we (RF) hold build meetings and on site customer visits (Paul is going to be in Perth mid this month, and other states at later dates) to help people out with their build.
To my my mind, support is important in these areas - to keep people up to date and informed on how their build can progress with speed and satisfaftion. Thats what we are about. Thats why we are trying to be proactive.

So, if current builders feel they would like more info on their build, then please feel free to contact us and work out a time to talk.

Of course, the amount of hours folks spend on their car can vary, with modifications, skills, interuptions, workshop layouts, logistics (being able to leave tools out or clean up after each day's work) workshop design, or energy to move forward at a pace.
(I have been restoring a damaged 2002 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 road bike for 18 months, but at a pace that suits my lifestyle. - horses for courses)

But being informed about the build of your projects seems to me to be up to the individual, and their circumstances, but having information and support is an amazing catalyst to achieving a dream.

We are only a phone call away.

Thanks for any feedback that comes our/my way. I hope I have been helpful.

Cheers

Jonathan.

Hi All, Talk about build hours i have been building RF88 for 4 years,work for 2 hours then stare at it for the next hour.Work for 1 hour someone will call by and then we talk about it for the rest of the day. Yep thats right but gee its been enjoyable. regards Geoff

Ah yes Geoff the old friends who stop you working trick.

I used to work on my car at nights at work when the day was over but I never got enough done.
So I go in at 4 or 5 in the morning and get heaps done.
Thats because all my friends are still in bed.

so far I have spent 3900hrs and have not touched the body.
I still have the same enthusiasm if not more than the first day I started on it.
It is great therapy ,keeps the mind active.

Geoff nothing wrong with staring as long as you are doing something like drinking then its OK.

Jim

Back