GT40...which Mfg. to buy?

I am seriously interested in purchasing a finished (with engine/driveline) GT40 MK1 replica and would appreciate advice on the in's & out's of the various manufacturers. I've read quite a bit of the threads here but I'm still not clear on which one would be best for me. For me, the following is important:
1. I won't drive it daily but I do want to drive it frequently (work, restaurant, etc) when the weather is good.
2. Definitely want A/C and all your modern comfort items.
3. Either power steering or light/accurate manual (I have some older classic cars that I dearly love but they're a chore in daily driving and they're all very correct so I don't want to modify them).
4. I'd like the exterior to be a reasonably accurate representation of the original but I don't need perfection.
5. I want a great paint so I need very nice fiberglass work (I don't want something that is lumpy or will potentially be flimsy & crack - I understand some of the most 'correct' mfg. make the fiberglass very thin like the original).
6. Regarding the engine/trans, I'd like a modern set up with FI and nice modern shifting.
7. I notice there are no longer cars listed for sale...is that verbotten now or is it just timing?
Thanks in advance for you your advice/help. I've always found these type of forums very helpful in steering me to the right car in my other purchases, I'm sure this group is every bit as knowlegable/helpful.
Jack
SE Pennsylvania

FYI, it usually takes months to "sort out" any car. So, if you're not a serious mechanic, you'll be way ahead both time-wise and financially if you find one that has gone through the process to include registration with the DMV.

Thanks, I agree. I'm a pretty good mechanic but I really don't have the time to be doing too much 'sorting'. I want to buy something the I can drive and enjoy without putting much time into it.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Well, Jack, your question is one we see often--"what is the best 40 replica". The simple answer is that there is not one best, each manufacturer has a vareity of offerings and options. If there were truly one "best", there would probably be only one.......

As for your other requriements, I'd say most if not all of the manufacturers can meet the specs you mentioned. As for light weight bodies, some do offer light weight bodies for race car use, but for street use most offer a fairly substantial product.

A bit of advice here, though.....kit car manufacturers, for the most part, don't offer "turn-key" cars b/c that puts them into the same category as the major car manufacturers and that would require them to meet crash requirements, a very expensive process. Most of the manufacturers know businesses who can turn your kit into a functional automobile, though, and that's the way to go if you don't want to build your own car.

As for cars for sale, there's still a sub-forum for that. These tend to be rather expensive toys and in this sad economy most find that there isn't much of a demand for them.

I might offer this suggestion....various auction sites (Russo & Steele, Barrett-Jackson are two that come to mind) frequently offer GT40 replcias to the highest bidder and we've seen some real bargains pass through their hands. These will typically be fully finctional cars.

Larry is right about the DMV issue.....best to inquire in PA about that before you write the check.

Doug

Jackjrp, I recently took my 40 to NC to have some service work performed. I know Johann, the factory rep for CAV-USA, has a stunning GULF car in stock completely sorted and for sale. Give him a call 919-924-9891. Good Luck in your search. If you mention my name he may hang up on you though....Just kidding...tell him I gave you his number.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You don't need EFI. Carbureted cars run just fine if they are set up right.

The car that Dean has for sale is a screaming deal. You would not be able to duplicate it for at least 150% of the asking price and a year or two of sorting out. I think Ellis Hubbard in Cincinnatti also has one that is similar for about the same price. Either would be a terrific deal. SPF build a very nice car, so does RCR, so does ERA, so does CAV. I haven't seen any of the others, but they have enough devotees that clearly they are doing something right.

As to the registration end of things, if you buy one that someone has already gone to all that trouble on, you're well ahead of the game.

DON'T begin creating a brand new 1966 car from scratch, unless you have decades to invest and enjoy frustration. I've already expressed my opinion on all that, I think. ;)

Back