Im looking for a gt 40 kit

Howard Jones

Supporter
So here we go. I believe the question was what is the best GT40 kit? You MUST decide what you will do with the car. How are the roads in your area that you will drive on. Do you intend to drive lone distances on freeways like we do out weat in Calif. USA. Some track days, lots of track days, real racin? All of these thing must be finalized in your own mine first.

Then think long and hard about power levels and be honest about it to youself. 300-350hp will be fine with all of the current tranaxles. If you are a 500hp person then you are in a whole new ballgame. Your normal crusing speeds will be VERY important when you start thinking about gearbox's. A good final drive ratio would be on the order of .8 5th gear with a diff ratio of about 3.5ish for freeway use cruzing at 75mph or so. Remember one thing the gearbox is the heart of the car. Make sure you are fully informed on this. Should you be using you car for in town driving or a lot of track time a lower ratio final will be OK. Lower would be 3.90ish on the diff with a .8 5th gear.

If you think I'm all hung up on transaxles then you are correct. Do a search on transaxles, renault, audi, quafe. LSD, etc. and you will see why. This may be the most discused topic on this forum. If you get the gearbox right the first time I think you will be happy with whatever car you buy. IMHO, there I used it, The added cost for a LSD is well worth it unless you intend the car to be used for shows or very low performance type driving.

Lastly the bad news. Make sure you know all there is to know about body fit and gap line adjustment. I think some of these cars are very nearly spot on as you recieve them and will require little "body work". My GTD on the other hand was a nightmare. Just make sure you know what you are getting into with whatever builder you pick in the end. Look at the way cars are delivered as far as body fit is concerned.

That's my 2c's worth.

If you take your time and do your homework and do good work I am sure you will be happy.

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, I'd be interested to see if Roy Smart's
GTD chassis has the chassis cross-brace that has caused such
a ruckus on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian, you mean like my chassis from Roy.

Attachments

• 55632-rear_chassis.jpg
    55632-rear_chassis.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 526
[ QUOTE ]
And Ron, How can the best GT40 be yours when you went and sold it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Malcolm, I asked myself that very question...Does this mean that the best GT40 is now MINE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nic, I purchased my RF using just the process that Ron discribed. I read everything on this forum I could find on the subject and looked at the web site for each manufacturer. I picked the best kit FOR ME. Everything I read pointed me to the RF. That dosen't mean I did not like any of the other kits because I did. The RF might not be right for everyone but it is exactly what I was looking for. Robert and Hershal do a great job supporting the product and that means ALOT to me. Even though I bought Ron's car, they still answer my questions and help when ever I ask.

Ron, did you not realize that you were selling the best GT 40???

There are alot of great GT40s out there. I've posted here for 3 years now and still haven't ordered one...yet. There are more and more offerings as time goes by, so there is more competition amongst the manufacturers for the buyer's $$$. Each kit has it's pluses and minuses. If there was one best kit out there, then the others wouldn't be around for too long, would they? So, everyone's desires in a GT40 are somewhat different and the choices are made accordingly. I have my thoughts on which car will make me the happiest, but that may differ from the next guy. I've narrowed my choices down and hope to order one next yr, providing I can expand my garage. I have too many cars and don't want to sell any.

>> Ian, you mean like my chassis from Roy.

Thanks Brett. Looks like I can add Roy to the list of manufacturers
that added a crossmember between the rear suspension mounts.
Now all I need is a CAV and an ERA. I also saw that Alain V's
Premier GT40 also has such a crossmember. Kalun's scratch built
chassis doesn't appear to have a crossmember in the exact
place, but his tail end of the chassis seems closer to the
suspension pickups, so that might suffice. Again, some
results from him would be cool too, although he is not
mass marketing it.

Chris - You may very well be right, and Mark's chassis might have
other bracing that eliminates chassis flex in the area in
question. And, when the dust settles, then everyone, myself
included, owes you, Mark, and the whole MDA family, apologies.
Of course, we will then have to figure what the results show.

IMHO means you are stating an opinion, based on observation,
testing, research, and/or gut feeling, or any combination of
those resources. If a chassis expert were to chime in here
and preface a comment with "IMHO", it in no way detracts
from the comment. IMHO does not imply "I have no idea what
I am saying" or any such similar missive. If that's is truly
how you feel, then you may very well be missing out on very
useful gems of insight in all walks of life.

For instance, many consider Kurt Cobain one of the all time
greatest guitarists (Rolling Stone did a list). IMHO, he
is no where near the top 25, much less number 12, and certainly
not ahead of such luminaries as Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana,
Eddie Van Halen (at number 70!!!) and many others. As a
20+ year player, I would hope "IMHO" does not discount
my opinion.

But, if I have to eat crow, I'll take it baked and stuffed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian

P.S. Here is the list. I hope it doen't upset too many people!

Ron Earp

Admin
IMHO, there is that phrase again, bad list. There are many guitarists on that list with much more breadth, depth, and range of sounds than their top four which are about as predictable as Sunrise tomorrow. Did they preface their list with IOHO (In our humble opinion)?

Since everyone sees something different in their guitarist of choice everyone will have a different list. Sort of like looking for a GT40. Now back to your regularily scheduled topic.

R

Ian,

Creating an air of doubt is the issue. You have a gaggle of opinions based on speculation flooding the forum and there will undoubtably be those who are new to the GT40 scene (like Nic) take those opinions to the bank based on no evidence.

I can't understand why this is so difficult for anybody to understand. Hell if a 100 people said, in their opinion that it was ok for anyone to jump off a 100 ft cliff into a river (even though nobody has actually attempted it) and they'd be fine - and someone did and injured themselves is that responsible?

You know where I am coming from... I haven't seen any of the other manufacturers come under fire lately - seems MDA is the flavor of the month I guess.

Chris

[ QUOTE ]
Whether it's mean to or not, when negative opinions are posted, especially many on the same subject, they WILL create air of doubt. No factual information to back up any of it becomes pure speculation. You can't do that. 100,000 opinions doesn't amount to a hill of ant poop.

Responsible posting - do your homework, show us proof before you make statements. Don't take the safe way out, put your cards on the table and call a spade a spade. I've realised that acronyms like IMHO don't mean squat. IMHO is a shield because you're not sure about what your are saying or your views don't reflect those of others right??? Why don't you just say "Hey, I'm not sure what I'm talking about so don't take what I am going to say seriously but IMHO blaa, blaa, blaa..." same thing right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris, I agree completely that we should all bring tech to the table as much as we can when we post here...it's what keeps the signal/noise ratio so high here at gt40s.com. But you seem to be suggesting that we shouldn't post our opinions unless we can meet some sort of legal standard of proof. Bullshit. There is not a single person in the world who has witnessed torsional rigidity tests of all flavors of GT40 replica space frames, nor has anyone dutifully entered all the various space frame dimensions into SolidWorks and performed detailed mechanical analyses. Opinions are entirely valid when they are based on a reasonable interpretation of facts. Having read nearly every post on this forum over the last three years, I formed my opinion based on the following facts:

1) RF has posted some very impressive torsional rigidity numbers.
2) Nobody else has (at least that I recall).
3) The RF space frame was designed by an extremely qualified team.
4) The UK guys seem to race Wealdon-modified GTDs, not Tornados.
5) I've read posts where people complained about the lack of strength in Tornado chassis.
6) I know a little bit about structures, and I've inspected an RF chassis and a GTD chassis.
7) I read recent discussions on the importance of a cross member between the lower rear suspension mounts and the fact that such a cross member does not exist on the MDA.
8) I've seen a picture and read a post about an MDA chassis that was 30 mm out of alignment and which, IMNSHO, should never have left MDA's shop.

This was enough information for me to form an opinion, and I posted it, and I stand by it, and I don't regret it. That's what this forum is for. Would you have preferred that, out of fear of offending someone, I had just sent Nic an email or a PM in response to his question? How would that help the next guy who comes along with the same question? Who are we supposed to be looking out for here, the manufacturers or the buyers and builders? The answer is both. So if we see builders doing stupid things we should try to set them straight. And if a manufacture produces a superior or inferior product, it should bask in the harsh light of objective reality, and succeed or fail on its own merits.

You and Mark Sibley and anyone else are obviously welcome to come back here and post hard data that will make me eat crow. If the MDA product is superior to all others then this is the perfect place to prove it.

PS - Robin Trower's absence from the top 100 list is an abomination IMHO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whow.. kinda overwelming all of the feelings on the subjekt eh? And it looks like MDA has recived a beating but non the less they seem to have a rep in Sweeden witch is next door to Norway so ill probably check them out. It also seems that with most of the kits you kan do pretymuch what you want to when it comes to "Utrustning" That is you can pretty much set them up anny way you want with the equipment that fits your wallet and needs. I have also notet that the RF kits seem to be the most complete although most manufacturers will also supply whatever is needed for completion of the car.
I might be on my way to Australia in Desember so ill deffinetly check out RF in Victoria and Drb in Queensland. Fran from RCR tells me the monocoque chassi is built the same as the orginal GT40 chassi with some improvements so that soundas great, next time im in Canada Ill try to get around to the US for a look to.

On another note i wont be making the Gt40 Street legal as the Norwegian government taxes us to death for building or importing cars with big engines. They want 540000 Nkr (90000Usd) in taxes for weight, engine power and volume of me to put licensplates on the car.. So ill probably have it in my garage and take it out for a spinn no a track every now and then until Norway becomes a part of the European union witch will make things alot easier for car lovers upp here.

On the subjekt of transaxels, im finding it hard ot accept that an Audi 5000 Gearbox will do the job on an american muscle engine, But it seems to work doesnt it..
Annyways thanks guys ..

Yeah Nic, you said it. I always inwardly groan when this subject comes up because it always ends up like this. I'm not sure it's informative either, as someone's "opinion" based on "other people's" opinions doesn't amount to fact, just idle speculation, and, as Ron said in the beginning, "mine is always the best".

I am in your situation also, and I have read everything on this forum going back 3 years. From this research, I am pretty sure which way I will go, but I will be damned if I'm going to join this "my toy is better than your toy" diatribe from people looking to score manufacturer brownie points, even when I have made my choice. You watch, you listen, you learn, you make your choice. You live with it. The fascination of these projects is to build it "your way" not the way of the squeakiest wheel on public forums. I'll say this, almost everyone building GT40 kits world-wide have been involved with this industry for many years. Of the established "manufacturers", products do vary, but a quick look at their background and their level of investment/expertise will quickly tell you what you're buying into. What's happened to the GT40 replica industry is that it has changed. Now, there seems to be an urgent need to replicate precisely both the look AND the performance characteristics of the original, which was certainly not the case when KVA first came to the market. So, the market seems to have polarised into 2 distinctly different zones: Those that look alike and perform reasonably, and those and look alike and go as well, if not better than the original. This is really the choice, so it is no good bashing a manufacturer of a kit if it doesn't particularly suit your needs for an out and out competition vehicle, just find one that is! And, we haven't even got into the zone of a kit that suits your mechanical abilities. Complex subject it is...

Good luck in your quest Nic, and when you have built it, trailer it over to the UK for some good old trackdays!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CORRECTION TO MY PRIOR POST ON THIS THREAD....

Fran contacted me and advised he (RCR) has the capabability
to supply tunkey cars to those interested.
I apologize for misleading anyone.

This demonstrates what I hope is common sense....listen to various opinions, but do your homework and draw your own conclusions. These cars are as unique as their owners.

MikeD

Hmmm I think this thread is just what GT40s.com is all about. It's fascinating to read everyone's (very) different views.

To my mind no-one really knows just how good the various manufacturers are until one person has tested them all. The only way to do that would be at the Goodwood track day say, when you could get a recognised wheelsmith to try as many kit versions as possible and give a verdict.

I already have my GT40 and although it's far from perfect it suits me just fine, and barring a lottery win I won't be in the market for another.

But what strikes me is that if I were buying a kit I would want to deal with a company that seems open, honest and helpful. Reading this site over the past couple of years the people that seem to stand out are Fran Hall and Robert at RF. I have never met or spoken to either but their replies always seem honest and helpful to me.

Otherwise speak to someone in the industry who has been there, done that...like Frank Catt. He has been enormously helpful with my rebuild although I haven't (yet) put any work his way. But he knows what he is talking about and to me that counts for a lot.

Back