Mitch Krause's RCR GT40 Build

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Mitch

Get an aluminium tube made up in a "S" shape to allow it to fit by using 2 short straight pieces of the rubber hose

Also on the top of the "S" add a half inch approx tube so you can vent rear of tanks to filler area to stop bubbles in tank when you fill

Ian

Last edited:
Mitch,
I used the "S" aluminum tube method with straight pieces of Marine dual wall-reinforced hose for coupling.

BTW, did you get the 1/4" baseplates that go under your fuel fillers? It will help raise that assembly a little higher so you can get a little more hose/clamp clearance underneath from that angled portion of the frame...

Mitch Krause

Supporter
Ian and Tom,

Thanks, I wish it was simpler, but the AL tube would work, might have to go that route. Not sure on the baseplates, I likely have them around, will have to look for sure to know that, I guess a little raising would help the clearance.

Mitch

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Got a heat gun? Might soften it up enough to get it into position...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ian and Tom,

Thanks, I wish it was simpler, but the AL tube would work, might have to go that route. Not sure on the baseplates, I likely have them around, will have to look for sure to know that, I guess a little raising would help the clearance.

Mitch

I think those are the plates we talked about that had reliefs cut in them to clear the base of the spider...

Edit --- thinking back. The fuel fillers fit "inside" those spacers....

Mitch Krause

Supporter
All,

There are spacers that go under the Lemans cap, the fuel fillers fit inside those. I did a little spacing experimenting last night, and one could build a spacer of 1/4 inch to fit under the fuel filler to raise it slightly, and it would still clear the bottom of the Lemans cap, not sure if that little bit is worth it, but it would be an option.

The line is very stiff, a heat gun might help to get it in place, but in trying various bends and such, it always returns to shape. There is a stiff wire inside the tube that helps retain shape (which is good, since other line from local parts stores seems to collapse when bent).

I looked at the arrangement some more last night, and the metal S would be difficult, given the way the slanted part of the frame comes very close to the bottom of the fuel filler, you only have about a 1/2 of vertical space that would be parallel to the fuel filler portion. Might give it a try, but that makes the bending and such much more tricky.

So, I am still thinking and looking for options.

Correct, the fuel filler sits on top of the spacer, effectively raising the assembly just enough to give you a little more working room underneath. I would have added a second spacer per side if I had them during my build. Another thing I would do is build a small triangular scupper that surrounds the fuel filler to capture any fuel splash that might occur. You can run a small drain hose down to the sill area and away from your hot brakes!

I think those are the plates we talked about that had reliefs cut in them to clear the base of the spider...

Edit --- thinking back. The fuel fillers fit "inside" those spacers....

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I made an offset pipe out of metal tube. I used two pieces of fuel line to connect to the filler cap and tank. They are short, maybe 4" each.
You can tig or mig the pipe. I made my cuts with a band saw. Odd angles. Used a grinder to fine tune the angles
I cut a piece of cardboard the width of the pipe to mock up offset.

Did not take long.
dwight-albums-rcr-gt-40-a-picture1693t-gas-caps-gt40-2-2-a.jpg

Dwight's metal example is just like an aluminum one that I used. I connected it using the low-permeation Marine fuel hose and the heavier duty T-bolt clamps. It might also work if you can find a highly-flexible low-permeation marine hose to connect directly from the tank to the filler.

Mitch Krause

Supporter
Thank you all, seems like the metal tube is the way to go, I will go down that path. Thanks for the picture Dwight, that very nicely illustrates things.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
You're welcome Mitch

Keith, Chuck and Randy have been a great help to me. Glad I can help someone to pass it on.

Dwight

Mitch Krause

Supporter
Undercoating

Not a great picture, but hey it shows progress. Over a few days, spent time scuffing the bottom of the car, then a lot of time taping and finally got to the point where I was ready to spray undercoating. Half way through, I realized I had not taken any pictures, so set the gun down and took one quickly. This is half way through undercoating the bottom of the car. I used Eastwood Rubberized Undercoating, same as with the wheel wells on the rear clip. Still very happy with the product, from the standpoint of ease of application, looks and stuff, it seems good. Time will tell, but happy so far.

On the fuel filler, I am in a little bit of holding pattern. I can't get my mind around the 3 dimensional problem how to cut an circle into a tube at an angle without having a lot of patching to do to build the filler. I did sent a query to RCR if they have the fillers, have not heard. Did stop by a local custom exhaust shop, they think a mandrel bent pipe might work, so they are ordering in a piece of that (hard part is to make the first turn by the bulkhead), so waiting on that.

Attachments

• Undercoating.JPG
    Undercoating.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 302
Mitch, I'll post a pic of mine later when I'm home. Perhaps with Dwight's pic and mine it will help visualize the drop and angle needed? I think you're on the right track with the mandrel bent tube as that would have been my option "B".

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
About the only way you're going to get a mandrel bent tube in there is to make a model with the inlet and outlets exactly where the new pipe needs to have them and even then, you may be looking at mandrels that would be of a very tight radius.
I have to ask "why" mandrel bends? We're not fighting a "highest flowing fuel filler" contest are we?

Mitch Krause

Supporter
Tonight I will post a picture of the model I built to take to the shop. The dude said he has not seen anything less krause it in 25 years. It should amuse everyone.

.....We're not fighting a "highest flowing fuel filler" contest are we?
Hey Randy, interesting you brought that up....the fill process can take some time on mine if the gas station nozzle pressure is high, even at the 'cracking point'. It may be self-inflicted based on how I built the system, but I do wish I had a higher flow filling system right now...

Back