No. 110 South African RF expected soon

I thought it would be interesting to hear from others on the waiting list to see where their cars stand in the queue.

After a couple of delays, it looks as if my car will ship the beginning of October. Thankfully it is a turnkey minus package.

I look forward to the wait being over.

Ben

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ben,

You probably don't care about cars after #110, but Hershal recently informed us that our car (#129) started its build cycle mid July. So based on the info I learned when we placed our order (which may be obsolete by now) we should have a good Christmas!:

Start build 7/15/05
Complete build 11/15/05
Ship to Phoenix 12/07/05
Intercity to Chicago 12/21/05

Please post your pics on arrival!

Al,

Thank you for your reply and sure I care about your car! Where did you get your dates for completion, etc?

Ben

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ben,

The build cycle info was based on the information posted on the RF 40 website regarding payment intervals (see the bottom of this page: http://www.roaringforties.com.au/turnkeyminuspackage.html). I am assuming that this will correlate with my build and I believe that the last date that Hershal discussed regarding delivery was in the late December, early January timeframe, so that seems to work out. Hershal has been great at communicating the progress of our build, especially in light of how many changes in options we put him through!

The Africa to Phoenix time is my estimate based on a conversation I had with a CAV owner.

I called Intercity to get an idea of how long it would take to get the car from Hershal's to my house. I choose Intercity because they happened to be unloading a car near my house, so I watched and was impressed by what I saw (equipment, and how they treated the vehicles being delivered).

I have been really impressed with the personalized information and updates that RF has provided us. If I bought say, a corvette for about the same price, even the most patient Chevy dealer would probably toss me out on the street after the second time I came back to get the details on my car's progress, or change the order again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Al

P.S. One thing I did learn was not to use the RF chassis number as an direct indication of where the car sits relative to completion of other cars. I believe that South Africa, Domestic AU cars as well as kits vs. turn keys all have different cycle times.

#95 turnkey. Still waiting...........arghhh it's killing me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Emissions testing on the 4.6 Cobra motor is taking a lot longer than i had expected. Hopefully some news soon.

Join the club. I had to wait a long time for the then 302 motor to get past emission testing. The process must nearly drive Robert crackers. I had to wait 12 months a while back for a SLK Benz to order from the factory. The wait however is well worth it. Mine is now over 4 years old and every drive is special. Regards Norman

Tim,
I really like your car when I saw it last March. I hope you will give me a ride in it next time I return to Australia. I am aching to see what that 4.6 motor is like in a RFGT40.

Al,
Thanks for the for the kind words. Thank God the car sells itself. I've never been much of a salesman. I have a lot of customers out there and I hope they know all they need to do is call and I will try to respond as soon as I can. I know I should be calling customers more often. It is tough though when they are located all over the continent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
On another note about car transporters...I use Stewart Transportation. Colin Stwart's business is just 5 miles from my house. He has the state of the art equipment and uses the best care when carrying these cars. His prices are super competitive too. Anybody out there that needs the best shipper then all you have to do is call.

Stewart Transport Inc
5750 West Roosevelt Street Suite 7, Phoenix, AZ 85043
(602) 242-1800

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hello there. My R.F. GT40 is number 108 and the first South Africa GT to be built and shipped as a turnkey minus to the U.S.A. I look forward to meeting with Robert Logan August 22nd at Hershal's place to see pictures of my GT nearing completion. Hershal has helped me (order) get my engine and transmission ready for installation when it arrives in Phoenix, and he has helped 3 of my friends with their orders. I'll be posting pictures of the progress and completion of my GT when it arrives.
Am I excited about this? You'd better believe it, baby!

Bill
R.F. # 108
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Another Bill in an RF... or maybe I should say another Bill in a GT40. I think there are more Bills on this forum than any other name...
Back to the cars, I've been building mine for 3 and a half years and it has been so frustrating reading about all these lucky guys completing and driving their cars, while my work schedule has made it harder and harder to devote time on my 40. Well my car is now at the painters' and my anxiety levels are at an all time high.
I think everyone involved in the purchase of these cars, whether as a turnkey, tunkey minus or kit needs to be congratulated for their guts and desire to own this car; and to the manufacturers that make this risky, lengthy process achievable. Mostly however I am greatful to the FORUM for being there (thanks Ron and co.) The forum has been as steadfast as a best friend on those cold winter nights, giving me a helping hand and some encouragement when I need it and letting me feel a ghost of the excitement when other's GT40 dreams are realised.

Congratulations on your purchase guys, it IS worth the wait!

Bill H

Attachments

• 62670-BodyFit13.jpg
    62670-BodyFit13.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 229
Very well put Bill. This forum does, in fact, keep me sane whilst i wait for my dream to come true. The experiecnes of others helps keep the flame burning.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Ben,

I have just put a detailed reply on the Support section regarding the progress f the South African cars.

Tim,

I have just come off the phone with Australia and been given a report on the 4.6 lt. car with Totota and I will get the results tommorow as I know you will. I actually think I am MORE of an expectant father with this one than even you. I look forward to seeing you when I return home to Australia.

For the other kind words , thank you I have a lot on my plate at the moment. I travel to Ireland this weekend to visit my mother in intensive care after her third stroke in a few months.

Kindest regards,

Robert

Back