Question about CAV and RCR

Good Morning All,
This is my first post and I hope I wont sound like too much of a noob. Im sure this topic has been beaten like a dead horse but I have to ask. I have been researching for some time and been spending WWAAAYY to much time surfing this forum, but it has become an obsession as many of you know. I am currently in the market for a GT. I am looking for something that I will be building my self. I have checked out many of the companies out their and they are all impressive. So my question or questions I should say are as follows...

Is CAV still building cars? I've tried to contact them.
Are they as nice as they are on the web site?

As far as US builders is RCR on the top of the list?
Seen many builds and was truly impressed..Even with the same day response to my email from Fran.

Is any one running a sequential gear box? If so which one...

I could go on and on but I will keep it short being my first post..

Any information would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Tommy

Tommy,

you are welcome to come by the shop in Michigan anytime ....we welcome visits to show our US manufactured kits.

There is not a sequential box readily available at a price that makes sense or a size that will fit without major modifications.

Again impressed with response time...I would love to come by for a visit but its to damn cold up there now...In texas and loving the 65 degree weather.. I do have another quick question..Being that you are using C5/6 hubs on your cars can I use C5/6 Brakes? Is that a possibility?

Sorry No they will not fit inside 15 or 17 inch wheels and the offset of the calipers would also be incorrect...and we actually dont use C5/6 bearings they are C4 sizes and custom made to our specs here in Michigan.

You are right its not just cold...its Bloody cold here at the moment...

Ideally i want to run a set of 18" Forgelines, with Large brakes i.e 14" rotors..with 6-piston fronts and possibly 6-piston rears either Brembo or Baer Would I need a custom system or is their a "donor" car system that I should be looking for.. Im sure over kill but its more for the wow factor and because "I can".. Another Braking Question.. Can the Tilton 900 series floom mount triple pedal assembly be fittted to you chassis? Not being bolt in is not an issue as i am a fabricator by trade. Oh one more question, sorry I have a bunch, do you offer a fuel cell/bladder tank such as a Fuelsafe or ATL unit. Again truly grateful for your responses,

Thanks Tommy

Tommy, Welcome!

Yes CAV are still building cars and Yes they are still selling kits. Johann Keyser in NC is the man to speak with. (919-924-9891) He's the US Factory rep and an all round top bloke. You can also get in touch with Jean (the factory owner) in South Africa by email. [email protected] Both will tell you everything you need to know about this fantastic car and are very responsive to enquiries. I've many reasons for buying my CAV but most recently I found another. The GT 40 (no matter whose you buy) is one of the hardest cars to wash. Water gets everywhere but I have no worries since the CAV has a stainless steel chassis. No concerns with rust!

As for RCR I can think of no other "US" manufacturer who could match his product. Fran is well represented on this site too and has a great deal of knowledge about his product.

Sequential boxes.....I believe you'll find a thread or two on this forum about that topic but I'm not aware of anyone who has put one in a GT40 as yet. Is your car going to be used for racing or street use? I'm unsure if the CAV chassis can fit this type of box. But then again, I believe anything can be done if a person has the will. (and the $!)

I think you'll find that many on this site will have high praise for the GT 40 they own. Most of it should be considered by anyone in the market. Me, I did a great deal of research and I went with the CAV brand and have not looked back since. Great car, well made, quality parts, great support and close enough to the real thing for me. Its not a Ford GT with all the creature comforts but its a car that makes me feel great when driving it. Its loud, silly (from an MPG way of thinking) and impractical, (no spare tire, no luggage space, no door locks, windows that don't roll down, its very low to the ground, it doesn't have cross-over tanks) but GOD it makes me feel great and I wouldn't have it any other way. Its why I bought it over a F-Car, L-car, M-car or P -car. Also, be preapred to feel like a rockstar when filling it up. Is this a good by-product....I'll leave that to you. :) Good Luck with your search.

I will be giving you a call fran thanks..

Jimmy thank you for the info..I will shoot them an email..As for my personal car yes I intend on racing it primarily in oper road race events like the BBORR and the Texas Mile.. I live close to the Motorsports Ranch here in north tx so track time is innevitable. I just thought a Paddle shifted GT might be a cool little feature..something different. Any ways thanks again for the info.

Sorry to Hijack your thread but it looks that my question would fit better here, its like a CAV vs RCR question but not in the typical "Which one is better" but more in the way of finding out which kit its more complete or gives more bang for your buck.

I do know that the RCR Deluxe Plus Kit is very complete, but How does it compare to the CAV 9 stages Starter kit in features and completeness? Which one requires more "Optional" parts to have a complete car? Thanks....

Back