R31 (Re) Build Update

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
All this bloody YAAAaaaaaarrrrrring is what powers it. The Ships company line up on the stern facing abaft at start YAAAaaaaaarrrrrring and off you go. Quite green really.

Keith

So what powers this fine vessel, and how fast will she go? Bring her over here, we'll race. Is she diesel or gas, I couldn't tell.

Gas? Holy shite - the Devil's Brew, no Jim, good honest diesel - far more efficient (and a good bit cheaper).

Well that's kind of relative because of the current cost of diesel per litre in the UK.

So, let's say that each engine consumes circa 8 (Imp) gallons per hour (each) at a cost of roughly £7 per gallon and you are looking at £112 per hour. Yes, really. But, factoring in 'economy stealth mode' and I guess we can bring that down to oh, er, £90 per hour. Bargain!

What's not to like?

As for speed - these engines are original 1975 Perkins - very chunky and whilst not the fastest thing on the planet they are very dependable.

On a good day she will make 30 knots but as she's an old girl we like to cruise at around 18 and we get to see more naked chicks that way.. :)

Actually, I prefer around 14 knots - then we can have a brief chat, like where are you mooring tonight? :drunk:

Thanks for your interest Jim. Wanna trade?

Keith

Interesting. She will not plane at 12 knots but will at 14. The motors are original T6.534's at 145 hp each as fitted to a million trucks world wide. There are fixed tabs on the stern and I am looking at replacing them with Bennetts and hydraulic control so I can find the sweet spot.

To be honest, the Solent is a very crowded area and whilst going at 60mph + is great fun, to me it's very dangerous in waters occupied by the kind of insanity horsepower you find on the roads. As yet, we are an unregulated, self policed leisure activity, a major rarity in this day and age and one well worth protecting - but just let these oiks loose, and the result will be massive Govt intervention.

I lived in AL for a number of years, so I am well used to 90mph Bass boats and the drunk rednecks that drove them. My life expectancy at best is fairly limited and what I have left is quite precious. Driving a 7 ton boat in a crowded waterway at 15 knots will do me very nicely....

Anyway, cutting the bullshit for a moment - it is highly likely that I will not be able to set sail in her unless the conditions are perfect. My physical condition has deteriorated such that I do not trust myself to climb stairs let alone climb into boats, but I live in hope. (On that note I am having a stair lift fitted - can you imagine? 15 years ago I was bench pressing 300lbs in 4 sets of 10 reps)

This whole exercise has been fantastic and for once in my life I have had the financial backing to complete my mission. I have always taken great pride in whatever I have been able to achieve and this boat has been a fantastic dream come true. The fact that I may never ever use it has nothing to do with it - I have enjoyed the planning of the project much like yourselves with your marvellous cars.

For the money spent, I could have had a top drawer GT40, but, unlike the '40, at least I have a chance of a) getting on it. b) using it, c) sleeping on it, and b) most importantly having the chance maybe to see some nubile dishabille females on the aft deck sipping champagne. OK OK, I know that bit is far fetched but we dream on.

I still don't know if it is in the water yet or not. British boat yards exist on an information system that includes water divining rods, which way the wind is blowing, are the crows nesting high or low? and the effect of the moon on local tides, but, as ever, I live in hope.

Thank you guys for all your encouraging words.

Driven by YAAAAArrrrrrrrr! I kind of like that.. :)

There is a PS. I intend to make a deed of gift of this vessel (when I am no longer able or demised) to a local youth based maritime organisation if they will accept it. I am doing my homework right now. That will make me very happy.

Last edited:
Good for you Keith! 14 knots it is, unless you want to run at much slower displacement speeds. I somehow can't see that happening.
A deed of gift to a youth orginization is very noble, good on 'ya!

We will most certainly enjoy your seafaring postings.

Keith

Thank you for your kind words Jack.

You know, I am very un American (didn't you lot have some kind of thing about Un American Activties once - McArthy maybe?) in that I care not a jot for money, possessions, power or property.

A little bit of each does help I admit, especially in order to assuage my massively distorted sense of self importance, but each according to their needs so to speak.

Oi! No politics on this thread. :shout:

(OOOps sorry mate:eek:)

Good on 'ya again, my friend!
"A little bit of each does help I admit, especially in order to assuage my massively distorted sense of self importance, but each according to their needs so to speak".
Perfect!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Mine, a few years ago, after a paint job. Still runs just as well, but needs some selective repainting.

Attachments

• boat in hahbah.jpg
    boat in hahbah.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Blue Note.jpg
    Blue Note.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 174
  • HatterasCover_small.jpg
    HatterasCover_small.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 141

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Very Nice Jim, is she a Hatteras? I note the wine and spirit store in the background of pic 1. Very apt for all things maritime.

Keith, she looks like a great vessel. Congratulations on getting closer to the finish line, I am sure that the first time behind the wheel is going to be fantastic.

FYI, regarding the last part of your dream (believe it is point d); anything is possible with a lot of champagne and a boat....Should you get her launched I am quite positive you can execute on that.

Kevin

Keith

OK, update time but not all good news. Her ass has kissed the mud (rolling in it actually) but it goes nowhere whilst Mr Perkins' twin brother is in bits by virtue of a corroded and thus leaking raw water manifold.

Cost? Just under £1,000 inc vat and delivery and that does NOT include the fitting. Be grateful GT40 owners :)

Perkinss.jpg

Looking forward in her new home:

PortForwards.jpg

Looking Aft: There are 2 ex Royal Navy WWII Gunboats behind me. The one on shot in this pic is about 120 ft long and was probably a Harbour Defence ML, now a cosy home. Directly behind her is a WWII MTB similar to the PT Boats (inspired by the same design) which is also being converted into a houseboat.

PortAfts.jpg

Neighbours: A nice Nelson 42 (as used by Royal Navy and Harbour Pilots all over the world) and an old Watson Class Lifeboat. There are many old interesting boats here, and hardly any 'Plastic Fantastics' PS Someone appears to have pulled out the 'plug' :laugh:

RRNeighbourss.jpg

I should explain, this yard is a half tide marina. I have enough water 2 hours before and 2.5 hours after high water twice a day to get in and out of the channel. The rest of the time she sits in a soft and warm muddy hole she has dug for herself. It doesn't seem to do them any harm..

More when I get it started!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Captain Pugwash? Well now, once again, I've been enlightened in yet another piece of fine entertainment (along with Dave's pirate speak????). Was it this iconic figure's impact in Keith's formative years (albeit late formative years) that led to this most recent activity?

My last boat had twin perkins and I never did understand why they felt the need to build a raw water manifold out of aluminum. Make sure to keep your zinc pencils up to date

Keith

Aluminium :stunned: ????

You jest sir, at least on a T.6354. They each weigh more than the boat! Well it seems like it trying to lift them out...:veryangry:

No, nature's finest cast iron (as are most raw water intakes). I do have about 6 anodes all electrically bonded throughout but this isn't really the problem. If you hook up to shore power and you do not have an mains isolator, every boat also not equipped with one will use your boat as a sacrificial anode (via a residual earth current) and it will eat everything no matter how many anodes you have!

Back