R31 (Re) Build Update

Yep on the motorsailer I had the raw water heat exchangers were an aluminum housing. Everything else about the inline 6 perkins was bullet proof though

Found this service bulletin description

Heat exchanger corrosion in marine engines
Many Perkins or Perkins Sabre marine engines have heat exchanger housing made of aluminium. Aluminium offers great weight savings over the old bronze housings. The down side of aluminium is that is very low on the galvanic scale and so is very prone to electrolysis or galvanic corrosion damage.

The typical heat exchanger consists of an aluminium housing, a cupro nickel heat exchanger "tube stack" and bronze end caps. The end caps are sealed using a rubber o-ring. As long as the o-ring doesn't leak, everything works great. Once the o-rings leak though, the sea water bonds the bronze, copper and the aluminium, effectively creating a battery (dissimilar metals in an electrolyte). The less "noble" aluminium will give up electrons to the copper and bronze causing pitting. Eventually the heat exchanger will start leaking very badly. When the end caps are removed for inspection, the damage is revealed. This damage can seldom be repaired. It usually requires the replacement of the aluminium heat exchanger housing.

What can you do, you say? Change the o-rings every year. The o-rings are generally less than $10. The aluminium housing will set you back anywhere from $700 to $7000! It is well worth the time and money to change those o-rings annually.

In recent years, the Perkins Sabre marinization has started using plastic end caps which eliminates this problem. If you have any questions as to what you have, or just want to prevent leaks, change those o-rings every year when you do your annual maintenance: flush your cooling system and "tune up" your engine.

Last edited:

Keith

Hi Tim, we may have crossed purposes on descriptions. The 'heat exchanger' is a Bowman type (cast aluminium) and and is part of a sealed fresh water system. This item is arrowed in the pic below.

The exhaust is cooled by a 'raw' water cast iron manifold (i.e. salt water in this instance) which is arrowed in the pic on the port engine.

Strangely enough both systems cost, er, £900 ish. :laugh:

The good news is, I have a spare Bowman..:thumbsup:

P6.jpg

Keith

Crikey Tim! You've got me at it now! I meant to say that the aluminium Bowman heat exchanger is CIRCLED not 'arrowed.'

Sorry mate, but at least I think we're on the same page now. It is indeed the cast iron raw water exhaust intake ARROWED I was talking about....

Senior moments.....:sad:

No worries after you have spent as much time in a bilge as I'm sure both of us have it's understandable. Here is a pic of my last restoration. We spent three years on the hard making her seaworthy again.

Attachments

• scholarship2.jpg
    scholarship2.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 146

Keith

Nice Tim, very nice. It could be a Ketch or it could be a Yawl, but if that aft stick actually belongs to your boat, I will go with Ketch.

Wood - lovely, I just wish I could afford (and was fit enough) to have a wooden boat. Timeless....

Bermudan Ketch but the hull was actually steel with a wood deck house. Had I been older and wiser I may not have dove in but sometimes youth and exuberance make up for a lack of funds. Long story short the boat was supposed to be used for a discovery channel series and the the party involved embezzled the funds needed to make her ready. The person left holding the bag donated it to a church and we bought it at auction for $17,000 beeting out a scrap merchant. She was a Sparkman Stephens design built by Devries Lentch in Holland. My wife and I lived abourd her our first few years of marriage

Nice Tim, I can only imagine what that wood/steel interface looked like.
Epoxy Coal-Tar can sometimes do wonders on steel substrates. It did appear to have those S&S lines. Way too much work! I lived aboard
my old (1952) DeVries Lentsch built plank on batten mahogany 30 ft. cruiser for eight years. A sloop that I modified to a cutter rig for ocean working short handed.
She was sailed over on her own bottom and lived in the Great Lakes until around
1990 when she made the trip to Florida. I purchased the boat reasonably and had to repair only two short sections of planking near the stem. No worms/borers or other
problems. I guess the copper keel strip helped somewhat. She had been well maintained over the years. Married and moved ashore, sold her and never saw her again. I designed three different displacement powerboats but never built them.
I did work out some wooden scantlings for a gent in Seattle building a 35 ft. Jay Benford design liveaboard freighter/coaster. Had to stretch that one to 37 ft 6 in. for ease of planking her in plywood/epoxy. Originally was a steel design. A single chine with a warped bottom. Very traditional looking.

Molleur,

As a matter of fact I coated the entire hull below the waterline in coal tar epoxy before applying bottom paint. Sorry for corrupting your thread Keith you boat is a real treasure

Keith

Corrupt away my friend, I only put it up to start with as someone said some people may be interested! Let's have a boat forum!

Makes a change from all those boring cars anyway... :)

Well since you offered here is a shot taken the day we launched. Molleur may recognize the location. We launched in Ft Peirce FL and brought her down the ditch to N Palm Beach. This is the turn just in front of the Jupiter Lighthouse. From what I found in the documents it was built for a New York businessman in 68 and came across on her own bottom. One of my favorite cables from Devries was over the engine the owner had selected, a 200 hp cummins deisel which they felt was "grosely overpowered".

Attachments

• scholarship.jpg
    scholarship.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 137

Keith

200hp ?? :shocked:

Holy Moly, I would guess the hull speed of that fine vessel would be around 8-9 knots upwind on a good day max so 50-75hp would have been adequate. Did he want to waterski??? :laugh:

He must have been a GT40 owner....:quirk:

Very good guess she was 55 at the waterline so 9.5 was about the max hull speed. I will say there were times when docking under a heavy wind I was happy to have the extra HP

I had to sail north up the intracoastal to the barge canal to go through the locks at canaveral. Early morning separture because later in the day, the prevailing wind was on the nose resulting on some five hours additional time to reach the ocean. Alternative was to go south to the sebastian inlet. Sebastian is sort of dangerous with a very narrow and shallow inlet. Once, in some heavy weather I had to choose a big wave and surf the boat in. Always went north after that. With that 200hp you can make a big hole in the water.

Back