Roaring Forties #52

Re: RF52

YEah, this guy told me I didn't need a reducer with this urethane primer. I think maybe you don't with a normal car body, but the GT40 is so complex that you need a slower paint. Did you use a mini gun for the air intakes, or what trick did you use to shoot those things?

Hersh is right. There are different activators for different temps. Also consider using a flex agent on fiberglass.

Pat,
You don't need a Jam gun to paint those areas. Your HVLP will do it just fine. The trick is to adjust the spray knob to a small coverage area rather than a large fan type area. Practice the adjustment on a piece of cardboard to see how much adjustment you have. Then while you are spraying cut the air pressure one third or so. This combination allows you to direct the paint into a small area.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Second round of primer. Trying to apply color in two weeks over Memorial Day weekend

Attachments

• 37836-Dsc07004 Forum.jpg
    37836-Dsc07004 Forum.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 554

And after priming. Adjusted gun and actually sprayed much better.

Attachments

• 37837-Dsc07007 Forum.jpg
    37837-Dsc07007 Forum.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 550

Looks great Pat. What type of primer are you using? How many coats do you plan to use? I used Dupont 32430S high build primer. I averaged at least six coats before things started to look good, then sealed it. I thought I had all the defects out but more showed up in the paint booth.

Pat,
You and Rolf are doing terrific. I can tell you that it is near impossible to get it perfect for spraying. Just do the best you can and I'm sure you and Rolf will have a damn good paint job when you're done.
I can't tell you how proud I am of both of you. It is refreshing to see you guys take on the task of painting your own GT's. Believe me. it's worth it cause when someone asked who did it, you will be proud to say..I DID !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Keep up the good work guys.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company

Pat,

Congratulations on the progress and also the quality of the work. I love to see my "babies" take life.

Please let me know if you need any help although I must admit it does not look as if you ANY help.

Best wishes,

Robert

For primer I am using Nason SelectPrime 421. It's an easy primer to shoot and sand (which is important!). I keep finding defects, at some point in time I'm going to just have finish it. Going to Indy next weekend, hopefully painted by mid-July (just 6 weeks later than hoped!) Still haven't decided on whether I will use Nason Ful-Base and clear coat or DuPont ChromaBase and clear. Only about $400 difference between the two! I've seen a couple of Nason paint jobs, and they look great, but for some reason I'm itching to spend more money. Any thoughts here Hershal?

Oh, Hershal, I got a set of RX7 mirrors - what adhesion promotor or primer did you use?

Pat,
I didn't use any adhesion promoter. I painted it within the priscribed time of 24 hours. You can use any basecoat you like but I prefer Tip Top clearcoat.. It's the best I have seen. Has the highest gloss and shine of any clear on the market. The stuff sands and polishes easy with beautiful results. A lot of Harley Chopper painters use this clear over their designed tanks. My rear deck was painted with PPG base coat but really, any of the base coats are good. It's the clear that makes the biggest
difference.
When you mount those mirrors you will need to make a rubber gasket to fit between the base plate and the door. I used a piece of a semi trailer mud flap that was about a 1/4 inch thick. I traced the base plate onto it then cut it out on a band saw. Then I dished out the rubber gasket to fit the contour of the door. They worked great.

Good idea on the mud flap! I was thinking of making it out of fiberglass, but I like your idea. Thanks for your ideas on the clear coat, that makes sense.

Well after many months of forced time off, I have been able to start back work. This past weekend I got color and clear on the front clip, spider, nostril and sill covers. Started on one of the doors but got a run and had to abandon it. Next step is to shoot the rear clip and doors, then mount it back on chassis in time for Christmas when my brother is here so I can make him help lay out stripes. Long day - 10 hours to do just this much work!

Attachments

• 48109-Dsc01395Forum.jpg
    48109-Dsc01395Forum.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 534

And spider. Color is from 1968 by Ford called Diamond Blue. Stripes to be Acapulco Metallic Blue.

Attachments

• 48110-Dsc01396Forum.jpg
    48110-Dsc01396Forum.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 533

Well, yesterday I got the stripes done on the three main body sections. What a job! It took longer to lay out the stripes than it did to paint, touch-up and clear. Feels like I cleared a huge impasse, and may be actually see the finish.

Attachments

• 52341-Dsc02204Forum.jpg
    52341-Dsc02204Forum.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 538

And another. Still need to sand, buff, all that stuff, then coat the undersides.

Attachments

• 52342-Dsc02207Forum.jpg
    52342-Dsc02207Forum.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 525

I can safely say, that while happy to have done this (for over a year now), I will never paint another car!

Attachments

• 52343-Dsc02208Forum.jpg
    52343-Dsc02208Forum.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 547

That's a really nice color combination. How many coats of clear did you use? Keep me posted if you ever bring your car to any shows on the Gulf Coast. I'd love to check it out.

Very different and very nice combination. Are the wheels going to be painted? One of the english guys had similar color combo with wheels painted the same as the strip, looked good.

Back