SEMA Car, RCR Visit

Chuck

Supporter
RCR Visit

Business took me to the Detroit area in early December, so paid a visit to RCR. The SEMA Caddy roadster was sitting in the front showroom. Much more impressive in person than in photos.

The attention to detail is amazing. The design and execution are superb.

The mufflers are forward of the engine and vent downward. They are, of course, polished SS.

No wiring is visible under the hood or anywhere else for that matter. Very clean.

The tranny has steering wheel mounted paddle shifting. But the wheel and paddle shifters pop off, just like on the GT 40. Yet there are no wires. How? A wireless sending unit from the wheel to the tranny sends the shift signals.

The engine cover ‘flows’ into the passenger compartment, integrating the appearance of the two sections.

The front grill is individual sections carefully held together with screws and backed with SS screening, to give it the trademark “Caddy” look. Check out the angles. Bet that took some time.

The front and rear lights are, of course, all LEDs. But covering them are formed sections of acrylic to give a design cue as well.

The suspension has air shocks and can be easily raised and lowered.

That is a carbon fiber section between the seats, which are custom made, premium leather.

I am not a fan of ‘hot rod roadsters.’ But the design, engineering and execution of this car is a real credit to RCR.

By the way, Ryan pointed out that the oblong device in the center of the console sure does look like an I-Pod on its side!

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_4169.jpg
    IMG_4169.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_4170.jpg
    IMG_4170.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_4167.jpg
    IMG_4167.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 295

Chuck

Supporter
Fran took the time to give me a tour of the shop. Always a gracious host.

There were several GT 40s, several SLC’s, a couple of 917s, a Ferrarri, and various other projects in varying stages of completion.

The Ferrari had a V12 Ferrari engine sitting in the engine bay. Unbelievable.

The 917 we examined had a monocoque forward section, but a tubular section for the engine / rear suspension. Struck me as a bit more practical for real world use than an all tubular design.

With our GT 40 about done, time to consider another project. That 917 sure looks intriguing . . . .

Attachments

• IMG_4179.jpg
    IMG_4179.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 346
Back