Setting Up A Home Powder Coating Station

This is a short discussion about setting up your own home powder coating station. When doing the install on the SPF GT40, there are hundreds of parts that need some sort of coating to prevent corrosion. Some of these parts come with the car, some you will have to buy and some you will make as shown in my submissions to this site. Painting is messy, has a short life and just doesn't look good compared to powder coating. If I had sent out all the parts I powder coated myself, it would have been a couple thousand dollars. My total cost was about $250 and now I have a powder coating system for other uses besides just the GT40 project. I've even gotten paid back more than my investment by powder coating a few pieces for friends.

This process is so simple, you will kick yourself in the butt (like I did) for not getting set up years ago. This is in no way an endorsement for Eastwood products, however, everything I used was from Eastwood and I feel you can't go wrong with them. There are several companies that you can buy the equipment and materials from at competitive prices.

The first thing you need is a powder coating gun. These are available for as little as $170 and includes everything you need (including powder) to apply the powder except an air compressor. The compressor requirement is for a unit that will provide 5 to 10 psi which simply stated means you don't need an industrial monster compressor. One that you carry in your trunk to inflate a tire will work just fine. The only other thing you need is an oven to bake the parts at 400 degrees.

*************************** WARNING **************************

DO NOT use your kitchen oven. If you do, you will never use it again to bake cookies and that won't set well with your wife. Powder coating powder is polyester plastic that melts on and cures. If you use your home oven, it will be ruined forever with chemical contaminates. I also use a respirator so I don't ingest the powder. Another consideration is that this needs to be done indoors. The slightest breeze will cause problems.

What I found was a kitchen oven at a yard sale for ten dollars. I removed all the burners from the top and made a steel cover turning it into a work bench so as to not take up valuable workspace in my shop. I also changed out the range plug to a 250 VAC welding plug so I could use the same outlet as my welder and plasma cutter. You may even know of a friend or family member who has an old stove you can get for free. As a last resort, buy a new stove for your wife and take the old one. This will make her happy and you won't have to justify the $250 for the other gear.

There are hundreds of colors available from various suppliers.

I strongly urge you to consider this. You won't believe how easy it is and the appearance compared to rattle can paint is amazing. I now powder coat tools, toys, all kinds of stuff. It's actually quite fun.

Last edited:
Back