SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Fits Over Fitment

Where am I going wrong here, again?

I can't tell if this has been made clear so to be certain: the dangerous phrase "small block" does not define the dimensions of the block. It's really a development-historical category and very misleading. For example (and this is the key issue here) "351" small blocks are taller than "289/302" small blocks.

And there are lots of other differences.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Yes, and in your car Allen you can put anything because your deck lid opening is made for a big block but the MK1 only had the small block short deck height and not the 351W motors. I hate to be the grim reaper but the been there done that says no workie. I was wonder if Rick Muck knows if they fixed that offset problem on the MK1s or is it still the same as my car.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Robert - Dennis Olthoff installed these K&N filters on my Eight Stack EFI. To accomplish that, however, Dennis had to replace the Eight Stack trumpets with another type so that the filters would fit properly. Since I run mostly on the street, I'll accept the reduction in horsepower for the clean air entering my engine.

Attachments

• Filters2.jpg
    Filters2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 345

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Yes, and in your car Allen you can put anything because your deck lid opening is made for a big block but the MK1 only had the small block short deck height and not the 351W motors. I hate to be the grim reaper but the been there done that says no workie. I was wonder if Rick Muck knows if they fixed that offset problem on the MK1s or is it still the same as my car.

Still the same so far as I know but I will check and report.

The MK I rear shells are made to allow the 351 without header interference on the sides of the body which FAV cars were not. When we built up P1116 (a Safir chassis) the headers for the 351 hit the bubbles on the inner part of the clam that ducted brake air preventing the shell from closing. The Superformance cars are made to eliminate that issue, but the deck height on a 351 does put the carb(s) up higher.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
That is a nice looking setup Dave. I think your car was at Dennis' shop for some TLC when I picked mine up last fall.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Sadness

Robert are those carb look a likes? sure looked like webers to me.

Yes, they are wanna be's Jack, and they have much more detail than many, and even my engine installer thought they were Webers after I sent him the first still picts.

I visited my mechanic and car yesterday following our exchanges. To Allen's point, my mechanic agreed and told me to think about the Winsor and Cleaveland engines as mid-size blocks, rather than small blocks.

I don't want to upset you but it didn't work for me.

No worry Jack. I appreciate all your efforts. I may have sounded panicked, but I was really just sad for a tad. I usually try to keep my sadness pent up inside where it can fester quietly as a mental illness. If I become overwhelmed, I just head for the green door. This too shall pass. :sad:

Carry On, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Size Is Important

Dave is your engine a 302 base block or 351W block?

Me Too Please.

Thanks for your note and pict Dave. I went to your home page and that pict of your ride is sweet. Care to comment on your side mirrors? Guess it's difficult for many to comment on theirs, unless they've experiments with many, or experienced other types. That daunting decision is upon me.

Cheers, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Very Fitting Of You

I can't tell if this has been made clear so to be certain: the dangerous phrase "small block" does not define the dimensions of the block. It's really a development-historical category and very misleading. For example (and this is the key issue here) "351" small blocks are taller than "289/302" small blocks.

And there are lots of other differences.

Thank you sir, it's great to have you along with all your wisdom and knowledge back. :thumbsup:

The question begs, when will I ever learn all this stuff . . . :laugh:

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Slicks vs. Treads

You are one odd individual...

Are those slicks DOT approved? I've heard that in the case of an accident, non DOT tires may possibly open you up to liability.

Going only by what others have said, the Highway Patrol here in Cali-Fornia knows that the Avon slicks are not approved because of the lack of a tread. However, once they verify a proper tread was installed, they usually overlook it. I shall hope and pray that is a standard practice.

Thanks, Robert

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Jack - my engine is a 302 base. Built as a 347 stroker, and the original owner of the car in Ohio did major damage to the engine on the Dyno testing the engine and at that time what was the prototype of the Dynatek (now Eight Stack) EFI system. I purchased the car with 400 miles on it. At only 2,000 miles the engine was completely rebuilt by Dennis Olthoff's engine builder and it's run great ever since. The new owners of Eight Stack Injection have also completely rebuilt the EFI system since the early design from the founding owner had some design flaws and none of their systems would idle below 1,500rpm. It now works fantastic. Lesson learned - you need to be careful who you buy your car from. And if you can, live within an hour's drive of Dennis' shop!

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Robert:

When I purchased my car it didn't have mirrors. Dennis Olthoff recommended the chrome bullet mirrors which he also uses on his Cobras. His opinion was that mounting them forward of the fuel latches gives you a little better field of view. It's also where Lola placed the mirrors on many of their Can Am cars in the 60's, so I think it looks good on a Lola designed body. The mirrors I have are the same as the ones in the link below. You could probably also order them from Dennis.

Bullet Mirrors Talbot style AC Cobra Shelby Ford Chrome | eBay

No matter what mirrors you use, there will always be limited visibility behind you and to the sides. I know some people have installed rear view cameras in their GT40s as well.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Mirror alternative

Dennis Olthoff recommended the chrome bullet mirrors which he also uses on his Cobras.

Not to argue but just to present a different point of view: the bullet mirrors look nice especially from a period-correct point of view. However, when I have tried them in that location I found the image size to be too small for my use in street traffic. So with my GT40 I took the opposite approach, namely, use a "modern" large mirror that is flat black, and mounting it in the V formed by the front lower corner of the side windows. (the mount is a black triangle of sheet metal using the forward three window screws) This has the effect of psycho-visually hiding them. The ones I used for this, oddly enough, were also recommended by Dennis, being what he had on his red race car at the time:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002A596S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00"]CIPA 19100 Dual Sport Black Car Side Mirrors (Pair) : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

They are also outrageously cheap such that if somebody damages or steals one you just laugh and buy another.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry, what I should have said was to each their own...

I like a period correct look and I have the bullet mirrors. I find them to provide plenty of visibility.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
...to each their own...I like a period correct look

Gee... I thought that was a given around here.... So, the first time I go out of my may to avoid an argument I get one anyway.
Michael -- I really like your "period correct" rear diffuser.:lol:

Last edited:

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Alan - good point about Dennis using the larger black mirrors on his red MkII. I'm guessing he uses those for a reason.

Back