SPF GT MKII Brake Ducts

This modification is actually more of a completion of assembly than a modification. There is however a caution that goes with this modification that will be detailed later.

The rear deck of the SPF GT40 MKII has two “snorkels” that are designed to feed cool air down to the brake rotors to supplement the flow provided by the side scoops. The rear deck (as delivered) has all the fiberglass “connectors” to route the air from the snorkels but lacks the ducting to do so.

The tubing used for this modification is 3 inch OD plastic corrugated tubing available from Eagle Tool Co. This tubing is used in woodworking shop vacuum systems. This is a very easy modification and does give the car a more “accurate look”. However, I found that in my application, not having the snorkels vent directly into the engine compartment causes the engine bay temps to rise between 20 and 30 degrees F. This increased temperature can cause percolation problems in the carbs, cause the paint to blister in near the headers and in general increase the engine operating temps. If you are racing, you may need the increased brake cooling but if you are a street poser (like me), you may consider not installing this modification. I removed my ducting after I discovered the increased engine temperatures.

Steve Cioffi (P2125) is working on the next phase of this mod to develop the sheet metal that goes around the brake rotor and interfaces with the ducting. Steve's work will be added here at a later date when he gets it finished.

Attachments

• DSCN0458 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0458 (Small).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 513
  • DSCN0465 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0465 (Small).JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 433
  • DSCN0464 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0464 (Small).JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 485
Back