T&L Engines Quality Control??? - BEWARE!

Re: T&L engines Quality control???

Im with Randy here Chuck, I followed your FE dramas with some interest & my comment is that while your problem there was minor it had the necessary ingredients to have been a major if detonation etc had reared its ugly head & scattered your engine all over the road. This is a similar situation where an ounce of prevention may save a few pounds of cure if you investigate it now. The failure of valve train parts and the resultant debris that gets scattered thru the engine can cause lots more problems at a later date. It the old pay me now or pay me more later scenario.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

I did not receive my motor yesterday, I called and left a message to let me know what freight company is delivering it and a tracking number and did not get an answer back. This is not unusual for the front office at T and L. Can anyone tell me the name of the freight company that delivered these motors?

These comments address what can be seen. But what lurks inside that can't be seen until it's too late?

Ron Earp

Admin

Do the T&L motors have any sort of warranty or repair coverage in case of a premature failure?

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

Do the T&L motors have any sort of warranty or repair coverage in case of a premature failure?

Hi,

Yes, they have a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. Although, my experience has been that they will replace parts, as they did in my case, but have failed, so far, to pay for the labor.

Cheers,

Bill, your correct about the unseen! I just go the motor back in after my Bellhousing issue 2 weeks ago, or I would pull the pan. But at this piont, my new rockers a comming today. Next friday the 4th I am going to Thunder hill, and realy give it the test! I'll keep you'all posted.Cross youre fingers!
Randy

Yes, they have a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty.

A warranty is good, but how quick are they at replacing a defective engine? From what I can gather from the experiences with just the rocker arms, an engine replacement will be a real battle.

Just my $.02

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

A warranty is good, but how quick are they at replacing a defective engine? From what I can gather from the experiences with just the rocker arms, an engine replacement will be a real battle.

Just my $.02

Yep...totally agree.

Guys,

I'm new, but have been reading this thread as a lurker for awhile. I spoke with Lloyd yesterday concerning some of the information provided in this thread and he stated he was not aware of any issues with the rocker arms and that no one had contacted him about an issue. He also said that he was out of Weber carbs and had been for two months so that may be why the WEber carbed engines are taking so long. I am about ready to order a motor and appreciate the information you guys have posted. Give Lloyd a call and see if he is willing to address your issues. THe information you get would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Got the new Comp Cams rollers on! running great . Still seens a little tiny bit "ticky" at idle, like it did at the outset . But of course I am really listening now.
When I was removing rockers they seemed to be less than 1/4 turn past zero lash. I set new ones at 1/2 turn as per Comp cams instructions.
I will be sending Lloyd 5 rockers
- One with no push rod cup.
- two that the shaft literally falls right through.
-two that the shaft is so badly misaligned as to cause the nuts to scrape material from rocker body.

The shafts are at least 15 thousands under size for needle bearings ( very sloppy )and very small dia. shafts and needle bearings compaired to the new comp cam rockers
I am sure Lloyd when he see these, will come to the conclusion that these are poor quality. I have been trying to contact but no one answers. I'll keep trying.
Took it for an nice drive today and it seems strong! Friday I am still going to Thunder Hill race track, my fingers are crossed.
Randy

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

3 months ago Lloyd told me he was out of webers and the shipment was to be in the next week. SOMEONE should have called and explained that the shipment didn't make it in. I would have elected to go with a 4 barrel as the plan is to change over to EFI throttle bodies down the road. NO ONE CALLED, this is what I mean about the front office, seems like no one gives a crap. Here is a picture taken at T and L when I ordered my motor. Seems they had webers when I coughed up the 11k deposit. Tomorrow will be one week past due on the motor arrival and the 18th of this month it will be 4 months past due the actual completion quote.

Attachments

• IMG_8293.jpg
    IMG_8293.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 714

Jack, I was waiting on that same weber shipment, They were telling me the same thing.I gave up and got a holley insted. No one has called me about my rocker broblems and I have called and left messages several times.
Randy

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Randy could you email me the freight company name and number if you still have any of the paperwork? [email protected] I thought the hardest part of getting into a GT40 was the transaxle! I have had it for a couple months now, I never thought getting a motor to be an issue.

Guys, just got off the phone with Lloyd, He is totolly standing behind his product. In fact because of this he has upped the:) warranty to 3 yrs :)to all GT40 customers!!!!!! And anyone with red rockers currently he will upgrade to CompCams for about $150.
Guys take him up on this GREAT OFFER !!!
He has never had this type of problem and is very much wanting to make thing right!
It was a very good call,:) A THREE YEAR WARRENTY:pepper: I am going to run mine! Thank you Lloyd and T&L it is rare a company that really stands behind their product.
Randy

Guys, just got off the phone with Lloyd, He is totolly standing behind his product. In fact because of this he has upped the:) warranty to 3 yrs :)to all GT40 customers!!!!!! And anyone with red rockers currently he will upgrade to CompCams for about $150.
Guys take him up on this GREAT OFFER !!!
He has never had this type of problem and is very much wanting to make thing right!
It was a very good call,:) A THREE YEAR WARRENTY:pepper: I am going to run mine! Thank you Lloyd and T&L it is rare a company that really stands behind their product.
Randy

Lloyd must be a very brave man- I suggest you read the warranty on Comp Cams products.( Which incidently I have a high regard for.) a couple of excerpts follow.

That all products are free from defects in material & workmanship & against excessive wear for 12 months from date of purchase. This warranty shall cover ONLY the initial purchaser. ( I assume that means Lloyd-not you )

There is absolutely no warranty on the following;
A. any parts used in racing applications.
B. any product that has been physically altered, improperly installed or maintained.
C. any product used in improper application,abused, & not used in conjunction with the proper parts.

So for a 3 yr warranty Lloyd must be going to pick up the tab himself- more power to him!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

Gotta admit it's nice to see somebody step up to the plate for the GT40 forum members. Lloyd is one who must actually understand the value of a positive recommendation on a publicly viewed forum of this size (unlike one ZF rebuilder I can think of) .

Doug

Glad to hear Lloyd stood behind his product.Just paid my downpayment.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

My motor will be here today according to the shipper and tracking number I finally got from Lloyd. I will post pictures soon as I get it uncrated. If you have read my posts on this thread I never said anything negative about the build at T and L, I DO HAVE A PROBLEM with someone telling me a time frame and not even coming close to meeting it knowing all the time it was not possible. I am self employed and have been most of my life, commitments and dead lines are just a part of being in business. I hope T and L can work through these problems as I am sure they will be a major player in the automotive industry for years to come. Most of us work on time frames in one shape or another and self destruction can occur if you can't keep them no mater what the quality.

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

Hi,

For those of you who have actually managed to speak to Lloyd can you tell me the best time to call... I've tried early in the morning and around lunch time, I have left messages on the voice mail and never get a return call. I tried again this morning and now even the voice mail box is full. I tried email and that didn't get a repsonse either. Unfortunatley I don't have all day to be chasing someone...so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Back