T&L Engines Quality Control??? - BEWARE!

There seems to be no end to this, the few times I have spoken to Lloyd he always promises to get back to me but never does.
I am in California and Bruce Benson ( engine #2302 on order since may 09) is in New Mexico.
Is there anyone on the forum, who lives close enough to T & L, that could visit them and at least let us know if they are still in business?
Thanks, Dave

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
They are 40 miles south of Dennis Olthoffs business, I would just call the local Sheriff office have an officer go by durning the day and see if cars are in the parking lot. By law in NC if you have been sold something fraudulently, you are entitled to remittance 3 times the value. I also was concerned just before I got my engine so I called a couple attorneys in the area. They are out in the middle of the country but have a very big and nice facility.

Guys

This is not a backlog of business. This is a guy that is using your deposits to finish someone else's engine, and using that person's money to eat. Your engine will not get done until he has the money to order and pay for the parts to do it. He's not a thief, but he is a liar. Taking someones deposit on a promised delivery schedule that he knows he can't meet makes him crooked if not a crook. A smart man would demand refund of monies paid and look for another builder, before you're the one who's build never gets done because the Peter/Paul business model finally implodes.

Incidentally, I had an enigne built by them 4 years ago and it was poor quality and very expensive (over 13K and I supplied the block, crank, rods, heads, intake and carb)

I may just be simple, but I don't understand why you pay for something well prior to actually obtaining possession. Sure, a highly unique and tailored item might reasonably call for a deposit, and a progress payment or two as things progress. But these aren't that unique - we're talking about basic engines with a few whistles and bells here and there.

T&L is using your money for their business working capital. If the bank won't give them a working line of credit to fund work-in-process inventory then customer deposits/pre-payments is just as good (or maybe better!).

I don't mind paying a fair/full price for an engine, but I'll be loading it up on my trailor the same time I'm paying for it....

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I may just be simple, but I don't understand why you pay for something well prior to actually obtaining possession. Sure, a highly unique and tailored item might reasonably call for a deposit, and a progress payment or two as things progress. But these aren't that unique - we're talking about basic engines with a few whistles and bells here and there.

T&L is using your money for their business working capital. If the bank won't give them a working line of credit to fund work-in-process inventory then customer deposits/pre-payments is just as good (or maybe better!).

I don't mind paying a fair/full price for an engine, but I'll be loading it up on my trailor the same time I'm paying for it....

Amen Cliff, I agree.

I'd suggest anyone wanting to do business with a company like this work up your own contract with the owner holding him personally liable, if he refuses to agree to the terms, then you probably don't want to do business with them.

Back