T&L Engines Quality Control??? - BEWARE!

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Re: T&L engines Quality control???

Tony,

I have never dealt with T&L but have had similar communication experiences with other manufacturers and of course there is ample documentation of a lot of dissatisfied guys here with RBT.

IMHO communication with the customer is an essential pre-requisite to good service and customer satisfaction. Particularly if you are dealing from overseas. You NEED to be able to contact them easily.

I for one will no longer deal with firms that are hard to contact, it only ends in tears.

Also I am rather amazed at guys who are so unresevedly enthusiastic about the offered three year warranty. It hasn't been tested yet and any warranty is only good so long as the company is still around to claim from. I just love these fly-by-night roofers that offer a lifetime guarrantee. The company is usually gone within five years. Not saying the same will happen in this case though. It's a good bit of PR but we won't know for three years whether in fact it is worth anything. And will you be able to communicate with them satisfactorily to make a claim? If you're having trouble contacting them when you want to give them money, what's it going to be like when the money flow is the other way....

Even if the warranty is OK I think it is more than outweighed by the communication issue. IMHO

Cheers

Last edited:

Personally i've never had a problem getting hold of Lloyd - called 3 times, spoke to him 3 times.

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

Personally i've never had a problem getting hold of Lloyd - called 3 times, spoke to him 3 times.

That's nice to know, but when did you call...time of day etc.?

Thanks,

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter

I had some similar rockers on the first motor in my Mustang, and they were worthless. Ended up with some well made comp-cam stainless ones until I got the shaft rockers. The problem was just not so great machine work, likely would have lasted a long time with a mild cam, but the agressive solid roller broke right off the bat on the dyno. Geometry was good, just you get what you pay for (they were cheep).

Sandy

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

Hi,

I just got off of the phone with Lloyd, he told me that he thought he had paid the labor cost for replacing my timing cover (for those who didn't read the post, the original timing cover was defective and dumped the coolant under pressure). He said he will send me a check for the labor and also replace the rockers for the stainless Comp Cams ones. He also stated, as mentioned in a previous post, that he will be offering a 3 year warranty for GT40s.com members.

I will keep you posted, hopefully things will be resolved soon.

Cheers,

TonyM,

Good for you that you stuck it out and had a good ending to your issue with T & L.

Sounds like Lloyd understands what good customer service is all about, and my hat is off to Lloyd for responding as he did. I love it when a story has a good ending!!!!

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Update on "Jack":

Jack has been active on this thread and was expecting his motor yesterday. I just wanted to let you know his status.

He did recieve his motor yesterday.

Now, for the real story. Several years ago I got a call from Jack from his home in the Florida Keys. He was in the middle of a tornado and watching his fishing boat flopping in the breeze like a flag.

Well, you are not going to believe this but I just got a call from him and you guessed it, he has been hit by another tornado at it Arkansas home.

While water is pouring in on his bed through the missing roof in his beatiful home he wanted me to know that the first thing he checked was his shop and it is fine and the motor is right where left it.

Now how many people do you know that has survived huricanes and now two tornados.

I'm sure we will get updates on the motor when power is restored.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

OK guys I got my motor, the crating was fantastic, very well made. During the uncrating and preparation of unloading it from my trailer we had some sever weather approaching so I got it in the garage just before the big down pour, if you just read Mikes last post its been a hell of a night, here are the pictures I said I would post. The motor was shipped on the 2sd of this month a week past the time I was told it had left, anyway I am happy its here and it looks good, I hope to have time in the next couple days to really look into it. I will be changing the carb linkage first off. The PDF is the dyno specs.

Attachments

• IMG_8963.jpg
    IMG_8963.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_8964.jpg
    IMG_8964.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_8965.jpg
    IMG_8965.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_8966.jpg
    IMG_8966.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 663
  • 427.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 378

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

One more thing, the garge was the first place I checked when the tornado went through. :) Its a good garage. I did end up with someones roof in my front yard. I got the hole in the roof over my bed fixed first off. :pepper:

Attachments

• IMG_8970.jpg
    IMG_8970.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_8977.jpg
    IMG_8977.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 698

Jack,

Could you post an overhead picture of the intake/carbs that will show the linkage in the center of the intake manifold?

Engine looks good!

ordered my engine yesterday. 347 w/webers.

called 2 or 3 times, left messages, finally got a call back from lloyd. actually he called twice. i mentioned to him about the concerns on the forum.
he says he puts out 10-12 engines a week. must be doing something right. anyway, i hope so because i ordered one!

so i'll let everyone know in 4-8 weeks.

wes

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Wes, Lloyd is a nice person, I think he has a tiger by the tail and doesn't know if he should ride it or jump off. What time frame did he give you?

Gary here is that picture you wanted. If you think like I do it will be a simple change to correct the linkage.

Attachments

• IMG_8967.jpg
    IMG_8967.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 652

Jack,

Thanks for posting the photo I requested.

My photo request was to see if the throttle shafts were fastened together with a shaft clamp. The clamps are necessary to make sure the carb shafts rotate and open all at the same time. Absolutely necessary when you are tuning your Webers. Without the clamp in place, the carbs will cause popping and the loss of hair or events of bad headaches.

Check out the left side carbs (top of photo) to see if this clamp is in place. My eyes are not as good as they use to be. If the clamp is there, good.......if not, you will need to get one in place before you proceed with the linkage change.

Lynn Miner had this problem with his Weber set-up, and he would be a good source for information about this issue if you need info on where he got his parts to correct the issue.

Good luck with your project!

Cheers,

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Thanks Gary, I will check that out. I can't see without 2.0 cheaters and my hair has been gone for years. Isn't getting old fun. :)

Well Jack.......,

Getting old for me is a new experience, because at the same time, I have to re-learn how to eat, drink, and much more (since my cancer operation in March '07). I can tell you that I appreciate things in life a great deal more since my operation. And I truly enjoy the interaction with folks like you on this forum.

Keep the info coming about your Weber operation, and in one of your spare moments, have a beer for me!

Cheers,

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

Hi,

I just got off of the phone with Lloyd, he told me that he thought he had paid the labor cost for replacing my timing cover (for those who didn't read the post, the original timing cover was defective and dumped the coolant under pressure). He said he will send me a check for the labor and also replace the rockers for the stainless Comp Cams ones. He also stated, as mentioned in a previous post, that he will be offering a 3 year warranty for GT40s.com members.

I will keep you posted, hopefully things will be resolved soon.

Cheers,

Well, it was 1/7/08 when I last spoke to Lloyd and he told me he'd send the rockers and money and I haven't seen anything to date. I gave him a call this morning and actually got him without having to leave a message. He's looking into it but he thinks he sent both out....hmmm.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

I ordered new rockers and when the motor got here I popped off the valve cover and they have already been changed to comp cam! So far so good here is another picture of it in the car.

Attachments

• IMG_9050.jpg
    IMG_9050.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_9049.jpg
    IMG_9049.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 573
Back