Come on fess up ! Nobody could have this
many neat photos of GT40s.
You keep it up and I will have to buy
a bigger hard drive.

Hersh
smile.gif

Chris,

Paperwork arrived!
I am now a UK citizen driving on th wrong side of the road but in the right seat.
Many thanks and best regards from Bury St Edmunds...!

Fred

A Matter Of Record (Goodyear Tire Ad 1978)

Late June 1966. 43 year old racing driver,engineer and entrepreneur Carroll Shelby sat numb in a bunker-like building some 130 miles from Paris. He had come a long way from Leesburg,Texas.Stretched before him was the 8.5 miles crazy quilt of tarmac and country road known as Le Mans.
The 24 Hours of Le mans had endered just hours before.
Now it was quiet. The spectators had gone home. The drivers and crews, those with any strength left, were slugging down Moet & Chandon. Others were collapsed and bleary eyed from 24 sleeples, nerve-jangling hours of racing.
It was only then that what had really happend began to dawn on Shelby, the Ford factory team and the Goodyear Racing Division had paid off. They had shatered the record of domination held over this event by the "Commendatore's" little red cars...The Ferraris. Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon had co-driven the winning car in the historic 1-2-3 Ford sweap. They had brought it off with Fords awesome GT 40 Mark 11's.

Shelby's squat, shouvel-nosed Mark 11's were powered by 427 CID, 500-hp Nascar engines and fitted out with Goodyear's Blue Streak Special racing tires. The 2900-lb cars were designed exclusively to handle Le Mans and the infamous Mulsanne Straight, a flat 5 kilometers of country road. Here the cars would get up close to 225 mph. At that speed' the space between heartbeats is 330 feet. The tires would grab the track, turning 2700 times a minute. From there the cars would slow to 35 mph to take the Mulsanne corner. The tires and brkes would work together to dissipate over 4 million foot/ponds of kinetic energy. The vented brake discs would gloww at a temperature of 1500 degrees. Brake Fluid would begin to boil. And it happened every lap for 24 hours.

It makes you think !!

Chris

fdf83f5a.jpg

[ February 05, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Photo Le mans getting ready for 24 hours.
fde3c2ca.jpg

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Back