Toms RCR 40 Trackracer

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI

Did the first highspeed test with my car. It pulled strongly until it hit the revlimiter in 5th gear ( which i currently have set at 7200 RPM but could increase to 7800 if i want). At this point it did a gps verified 181 mph. The car behaved perfectly, run dead straight and very stabil.
I had to brake down hard once to 150 mph and change lines, went very smooth as well.
The car would definitely go over 300 kmh if i change the rev limit point.

OVerall a big success and even bigger thrill.

TOM

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Attaboy --good to see someone using their car, awesome -- now put it away and try and get some sleep tonight :laugh::laugh:
So - where do you go to get up to those speeds ?? autobahns or race track ?

Last edited:
thats good to hear Tom, maybe its better to find a six gear :D or change your differential, think its a bit short geared for such high speeds, though it makes it more brutal.
I would not go such high rpm with such V8...7.200rpm is more then high enough me thinks?

@Chris: AB

@ Rene:
i had my engine build for revs up to usable 7800 RPM with a max of 8000.
Water temp stayed stabil at 195°F and oil at 260°F. Lambda was constantly at 0,95 @ WOT. It was a cool night so gearbox cooling pump did not even start. I have a G96/50 in my workshop, but the ratios i´ve build into this 5 speed are perfect. it is geared for the track and for this it is long enough, I won´t do a lot of those highspeed runs and if i ever go to run it at a track where this is to short ( can not think of any besides nordschleife and le mans) so be it. If i use the rpm range above 7200 of course i´ve to service my valvetrain mor regulary (lash and springs)

The G 96/50(996 Turbo) i´ve is for sale BTW. it is mint (5000km´s) no LSD, it has a 9" ring and pinion and is sideshifted. it can easily be modified for use in a midengine application, shifts very smooth and is very strong. We have fitted such a gearbox into a RCR MK2 behind a 408. fits perfectly.

TOM

Indeed, normally you won't do that many high speed runnings, maybe a few times a year, and on a track a shorter ratio could be a good thing, also for fun drive's, although I guess with so much power and torque and so low overall weight, maybe it would not hurt so much to get a 200mph geared GT40?

Tom, I have just watched your 1st start video on u tube.
You even have colour coded matching clothes.
" HOW COOL "

HI

Did the first highspeed test with my car. It pulled strongly until it hit the revlimiter in 5th gear ( which i currently have set at 7200 RPM but could increase to 7800 if i want). At this point it did a gps verified 181 mph. The car behaved perfectly, run dead straight and very stabil.
I had to brake down hard once to 150 mph and change lines, went very smooth as well.
The car would definitely go over 300 kmh if i change the rev limit point.

OVerall a big success and even bigger thrill.

TOM

We could use one of those Autobon things over here, we used to have Nevada available for that sort of fun...but the Feds eventually put a strangle hold on that lack-of-a-speed-limit thing.

A high speed run must have been the coolest. Video would have sent us all into orbit with you...maybe it's better you didn't have it reorded, otherwise the whole forum would have had a hard time sleeping, not just you.

Remark to all

aluminium canned mufflers don´t hold up the temperatur of a decent performance v8 in a GT40 application with short dimension from header / collector to muffler.

My above build system melted away ´during the high speed run, so i had to build a new one.

The task was taken on by a pro exhaust builder close by. He is building systems for a lot of porsche and ferraris racing teams and other race classes.

He build me a muffler out of high temp resistant stainless steel.
It sounds more muffled than the previous system with a more souvereign tone to it.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

His webadress:

"Maschinenbau Tusche, Motorsport Sonderanfertigung Auspuffanlagen"

TOM

Hello Tom,

Schön gemacht. Hervorragende arbeit!

I appears you are the only GT40 owner to reach such high speeds.

Are you using the Gordon Levy 331 or a 408?

What are your engine hp/tq numbers?

Did it take long to reach 181 mph? Do you think the car will go 200 mph with the right gearing?

Was there a lot of front end lift?

What can you tell us about the high speed drivability and stability?

Hello Tom,

Schön gemacht. Hervorragende arbeit!

I appears you are the only GT40 owner to reach such high speeds.

Are you using the Gordon Levy 331 or a 408?

What are your engine hp/tq numbers?

Did it take long to reach 181 mph? Do you think the car will go 200 mph with the right gearing?

Was there a lot of front end lift?

What can you tell us about the high speed drivability and stability?

Dear Willam

thanks for the cudos

Actually i don´t think i´m the only one doing it.

engine is a Gordon Levy Racing 331.

The experience was quite good. Car behaved very nice, it run dead straight with almost no correction needed ( tiresize front 225 a little toe out, rear 345, a little toe in). I could have driven the car one handed.
Also bracking was no issue when i had to brake down to 150 mph, because of a slower car unterestimating my speed.
In terms of front end lift i can not tell if there is some significant amount.
The RCR40 behaved defenitely much more controllable at those 295 kmh than my previous 964 C2 ( 310 HP, with optimised PSS9 Bilstein Suspension and 18", the front tires where 245´s i think) at 270 kmh.
I also had no issue at all with lift of the top of the doors . My retainers seem to hold them down very well.

To tell more i plan to install a 4 corner way measurementsystem which a friend of my cousin is producing.
Waycon Positionsmesstechnik(english)

With this i will be able to tell if there is lift on which axle and how much.
This than in combination with the weight per axle and wheelrate of suspension should enable me to also calculate the lift in kg.

I will take this on to a new thread to create on for exchanging high speed experiences

TOM

Last edited:
are you planning on tweaking the body to aero advantage, or just interested in seeing how it behaves?

cheers
ed

Hi Ed

I do not plan to modify the body itself, but i do plan to add a front splitter, carnards, skirts and a gurney flap, to find out the influence of this parts to downforce and downforce balance.

TOM

Hi Tom, Everything has come together very nicely.
Tell me ! on the 4th page of your build you had a picture of a red 40 that you were baseing your car on.
Do you have more details on this car, it is also something I am considering colour and style wise
Cheers

Hi Tom, Everything has come together very nicely.
Tell me ! on the 4th page of your build you had a picture of a red 40 that you were baseing your car on.
Do you have more details on this car, it is also something I am considering colour and style wise
Cheers

That looks like GT40P/1085A, details of that car here:
Sbarro GT40 1085A for sale in UK

Also some more pictures and info here:
http://www.interney.net/blogs/saloma/2009/06/09/ford_gt_40_ex_capuava_racing/

Trev

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back