Toms RCR 40 Trackracer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom,

Massive credit to you for all the work you have put into the car. It looks and sounds amazing!

Congratulations :thumbsup:

Super Sache mit dem Ersten Video - ist das Geschoss schon angemeldet? :lipsrsealed:
Bzw. ist der Waffenschein schon beantragt?

Last edited:
Have put the first 300 mls on the car. Went flawless. Did a trip to the SALZBURGRING. People where quite interessted. Have not put it on the track yet ( still waiting for my FIKSE Wheels and my SEMIS). Suspension is just roughly aligned yet, but still the car runs straight, is very light to steer and stays put during braking. Just trailed along the Autobahn at about 150 km/h, did once 240 km/h ( have my self impossed to a rev limit of 6000 RPM until the engine is run in).
Gearing is awsome, the change i did to first and second gear ratio is fully paying oút. THe engine runs strong and just blasts through the gears. Shifting is crisp and very exact. Clutch works great as well.

Here some pics in final trim

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

TOM

Hi Tom, it's great to see all your thoughtful planning and building pay off - it's got to be one of the best out there.

It's been great following your build thread from the pick up at Chris' place to now - quite a journey ! Thanks for sharing.

Agree with Simon, this has to be one of the best cars out there. Fantastic build, just stunning. Well done Tom.

Trev

Urs

Supporter
Hallo Tom

Gratuliere dir zu deinem Wagen, ein echtes Schmuckstück.
Machst du mal einen Abstecher in die SChweiz ;)

Gruess Urs

Tom,

I can only echo what the other guys have said. Simply one of the best. I used much of your build thread on my build (such as it was), and found you to be always helpful.

I congratulate you!

Thanks for all the cudos,

I´m looking for a small front splitter which used to be produced by XTREME CLASSIC.
THere website is gone. Any idea where they are ?

TOM

Unfortunately Mark, the owner of XTREME Classics, passed away a little over a year ago so I think the company is gone.

At one point CAV was building a splitter although I thought it was far larger than the XTREME version.

Kevin

Sorry to here that. Does anyone have still some pics of the Xtreme splitter ?

Agree that CAV PART is much to large.
THanks TOM

THanks TOM

I cannot find any as it looks like nothing was saved to the site, all pictures were linked back to xtreame classics. There is a bunch of good aero discussion that Mark included in some of the threads from 2007.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think your car would look great with Black Canards on it...

THanks TOM

Check here Tom;
Products - Aerodynamic Devices

In case the caching should go away I copied some images that I could capture here.
They wanted $850 USD for the splitter which I think is an outrageous price anyway...

Attachments

• era_splitter10.640.jpg
    era_splitter10.640.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 520
  • art_shot1.640.jpg
    art_shot1.640.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 525
  • 1stdrive3-640.jpg
    1stdrive3-640.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 636
Randy

Thanks for that. Yes i thnk black canards will be awsome. But there are so many different designs and i have noit yet picked one.

Some people asked me about the gearing.

Here is what i did. I used a G50/05 (it is the us version) which has a longer final ratio. (3,33 instead of the 3,44 of all other G50´s)

3rd to 5th are idealy geared for my high rpm engine. Top speed @ 7200 RPM would be 292 km/h. Which is plenty for most of the tracks.

1st and 2nd are to short in stock ratio, so i bought a primary input shaft from Quaife with the ratio 2,5:1 and a second gear pair from a cup porsche with the ratio of 1,84:1. All was calculated to a shift point of 7000 RPM which gives me the following RPM drops:
1st to 2nd: -1928 RPM
2nd to 3rd: -1653 RPM
3rd to 4th: -1597 RPM
4th to 5th: - 1405 RPM
As my engine has his max torque at 5200 RPM i allways fall right back into the max power band. THe first gear with the GT3 competition clutch ( still torsiondampened organic) is also managable during heavy and city traffic.
With the supplied cable shifter it is a lot of fun to run through the gears. At first i had the rear lever for the left to right movement to short, so i shifted to often into 5th instead of 3rd. So i used the second hole which i had already put in for a longer lever ration. no the left to right movement is a bit longer and since them i had not wrong shifting anymore. I even shorted the shift lever, because it was so easy to shift and i could use a bit shorter lever for better ergonomy.

I also modified the Diff with a Quaife ATB differential, which works great up to now. A lot of traction out of the corners. You don´t hear it working. THe adavantage of the ATB is that in corner entry it behaves like an open diff, thus minimizing the effect of understeer incorporated with plate style lsd´s in midengined cars.

Attached a gear chart with G50 in comparisson to my modified one

Thanks
TOM

Attachments

• GearSpeedCalculatorG50030405.xls
    93.5 KB · Views: 261

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thank you for posting that spreadsheet Tom. I had forgotten what the ratios were in my G50/03. I guess I'll have to stick with this transmission for now and maybe step into one of Fran's new gearboxes when I save up enough money... I still have to open differential as well but purchased the billet side cover from Doc Kahler here on the forum...

The shifter on mine will likely take some tweaking to get it to work right as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back