Urgent - Anyone know where David Morton is?

Keith

Sorry to bother you all, but I wonder if anyone here has heard from David? Thing is, my boat was up and ready to go Friday with the engines serviced and a tank full (200 gallons) of diesel. David has been a bit down of late just recovering from a fairly serious operation. He asked me if he could get away for a bit on my boat (like sleeping on board) and natuarally as he has been a good friend to me I said yes, and told him where to find the keys etc.

Today it turns out, he apparently started up the boat and headed out across the bar (Eastern Solent) and was last seen passing Bembridge heading due South.

I have tried to ring him on his mobile but it just rings and rings. I had no idea he was actually going to drive the thing but he is very competant so I am not at all worried, but I'd just like to know he is safe. There is enough fuel aboard to get to France and I know he knows loads of people there, so, if anyone hears from him, would you please tell him to get in touch.....

Thanks,

Keith

Keith,

Have you contacted Her Majesty's Coast Guard? Do you have marine radio onboard, an EPIRB, etc.? (I know you're just fitting her out).

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Wow Keith that is serious.:shocked: I have taken the liberty of sending a description of your small ship and David to the Australian Coast Guard. Can you confirm that David is still a portly gentleman? As I have not seen him for a couple of years and His recent illness may have caused him to lose some weight. I can amend the description I gave the Coast Guard if necessary. Although given his penchant for fine food and wine I doubt I will have to.
I Know it would be a dangerous journey for him to venture to the great Southern land, but David has expressed to me in the past a desire to cruise the Great Barrier Reef. I have also advised Vice Admiral Ray Griggs the boss of the Australian Navy and an old mate to ask his boys to keep an eye out for him.
Was your Galley well stocked with good wine and cheese? If not don't worry too much David would not venture too far without decent supplies and a full larder.

Keith

Thanks for the replies guys. I have spent half the night checking the South Coast marinas and boat yards in the UK - nothing. I think I will wait until 1300 ZULU and contact the Coastguard but I am anxious not to involve them unless it is absolutely necessary.

The boatyard told me that he arrived with a trolley fully of stuff but have no idea when or where he went. (It is not a 24 hour manned facility)

I am pretty sure he is up some creek just chilling out somewhere, trouble is, there are many hidey holes on the South Coast.

Yes, there are 2 marine VHF's on board, one of them is a coastguard radio with UK Channel Zero (Coastguard Channel), no EPIRBs though.

I calculate that his maximum one way range with the fuel on board would be around 150 miles if he doesn't cane it.

I have been Pirated!

But, David is a very resourceful and cunning character and has survived many a scrape the world over. I am sure he is probably reading this now and laughing. If so, David, will you please bring Rum Runner home?

Thanks

This is indeed a worry!

Between the two of you it's enough to give a guy a heart attack...

I hope he turns up soon.

Pete' if I ever say 'yeah, you and whose army', refer me to your post here... crikey!

Tim.

This is quite disturbing Keith, although I'm confident all will be well in the end.
A relative of mine in Perth, Bob Trotter (Royal Australian Navy, retired), was heavily involved in the finding of HMS Sydney recently. I was emailing him just tonight, but methinks Rum Runner has not made it to our Barrier Reef just yet, so a search would be premature.

Expect you'll hear from David soon,

David's Skype address is showing as online, but he isn't replying to messages.
This means that his computer is logged onto the internet, but not necessarily that it's attended.

Bit of a wreck floating off Beachy Head today, cant quite identify it from the headland, but timescale it would be about right floating from your berth eastwards with the prevailing, hope its not ---.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Praying for David? Why Jim? The guys a pirate and has stolen Keith's beloved boat. He should be hung from the yard arm or keel hauled, or at least whipped around the fleet. Hmmm maybe not the latter he might enjoy that.
No Jim if you must pray, pray for the safe return of Keith's boat.

Pete,

David Morton is a straight up guy. No piracy here. Keith is very disdraught about this. Keith's friend and treasure both gone missing. I sincerely hope they are both well.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
All is OK. Got a signal on my Ipad but the web kept kicking me off.
Boat is fine. My Waeco has used up the generator fuel so it will all be back alongside
by early morning. No fresh milk for tea....
Time for sleep.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Good to hear all is ok David.
You had some of us a bit worried there.
Thought the Somalia pirates might have been straying further than usual...

Keith

Holy crap! Just got in from a heavy day of SAR. Cheers Dave, what a relief. Boat is insured, not worried on that account... but anyway, how did it go? Where are you? Please call me.. never mind, if you are back 2M then I will sleep better..

Crikey! You couldn't make this stuff up!

Rum now..... Thanks for all your messages..... you guys are the best... :thumbsup:

Man, between the two of you...

If I went to a pub and had a drink with either of you I reckon at some point I'd say something that'd get me a punch on the nose, but I'd be back again the next day for another beer. Stop worrying us you bastards! ;)

Tim.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Keith.
It's all back alongside and I left my card details for the diesel.
No adverse comments except needs more comfortable bunks.

Back