Visit to GT40 NA Factory

This is my first posting, so I hope I'm in the right category.

This week, while on a business trip to Indianapolis, I was able to sneak away and visit the GT40 North America factory in Westfield , IN (about 1/2 north of Indianapolis). They really rolled out the red carpet for me for an afternoon of show and tell.

Well, needless to say, the car is an A+ in my book. The body is beautifully crafted in carbon composite so it’s real stable. The center section is steel tube reinforced, so the doors really fit and close with great ease. The interior has very comfortable leather SPARCO seats with 4 point harnesses, a flat bottom steering wheel, high-end sound system, AC, plush carpeting, brushed aluminum door sills etc. Extremely well crafted, with great attention to detail. The two things that really blew me away was the tubular chassis (sheathed in carbon fiber) and the drivetrain. The chassis is made-up of huge round tubes that are TIG welded to perfection and then powder coated. The rear suspension is Corvette all the way. But then comes what sets this beast apart from all the rest; the ROUSH 392ci engine mated to the RBT built ZF. All I can say is wow!

This GT40, IMHO, is a real contender, possibly the best out there. It is sold as a turnkey and nothing else. At an MSRP of $125,000 it is definitely not the least expensive GT40 on the market, however, I am totally impressed by what I saw and both understand and appreciate the cost a lot better.

For $ 125k it had better be spectacular.
Wonder how many they forecast they will sell....
IMHO not many once the speculation and frenzy surrounding
the Ford GT dies down and you can get one for list price.

MikeD

Fernando, If this is the only factory you have visited it is not "possibly the best out there" It IS the best out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Regards

I had some pictures sent to me from Mr. Stafford (can't recall his first name). The car does look good. However, the price I was quoted was about $140K.

I re-checked my email: The car with option package #1 ( AC, Sat radio + 6CD, Leather, remote locks ) is $145,995.

[ QUOTE ]
The two things that really blew me away was the tubular chassis (sheathed in carbon fiber)

[/ QUOTE ]
Besides looking sexy, what is the advantage of wrapping steel tubing in carbon fiber? Does it result in a frame that's stronger by weight? Flex less?

[ QUOTE ]
The two things that really blew me away was the tubular chassis (sheathed in carbon fiber) and the drivetrain. The chassis is made-up of huge round tubes that are TIG welded to perfection and then powder coated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huge round tubes make for a heavy chassis. I'd prefer to see lots of smaller, lighter ones joined in interesting triangular shapes.

Ben, I think "carbon-fiber sheathed" refers to the bodywork, not CF laid up directly on the chassis members.

Fernando, I'm glad you like the NA car. The tone of your post, however, sounds like you may in fact be a shill for GT40 NA. It would be good to clearly state what relationship, if any, you have with the company.

Ron Earp

Admin
I do hope that is not the case. One of those little read items in the Board Rules to which everyone clicks "I agree" to:

"Don’t want flames? Then don’t tell us you are a Newbie. We’ll know by looking at your post count. If you post in the middle of a controversial topic and your post count is 1 then you’ve probably got an agenda and we know it. And we’ll tell you about it."

But, before deciding what GT40 is the best or what is the best for you, I'd encourage you to look at a few more cars.

Ron

I'm sorry that my enthusiasm gave the impression of some wrong doing on my part, As a matter of fact, I have no affiliation to GT40 NA. I've been a long time fan of the GT40, a passion that was ignited as a teenager watching the 40's succeses at Le Mans. I actually found out about GT 40 NA in a current issue of KIT CAR Magazine where I saw a photo of the car a a west coast concours with the company's url posted in the caption.

I've seen many GT40 replicas, in factories (ERA) and privately owned and this one impressed me as the best one out there, and according to GT40 NA its weight is 2500lbs.

My intent in posting on this forum was merely to share my enthusiasm and inform. I guess in the future I'll have to think twice before posting.

[ QUOTE ]
this one impressed me as the best one out there

[/ QUOTE ]

There really is no answer to the question "what is the best replica, since we all have our own definitions of what qualifies as "best." To me, originality is a big factor (although I'm not anal about it - I wouldn't insist on RHD, and A/C is acceptable to me in a street car, though a stereo system is not), and the GT40NA car is pretty much at the bottom of that list. It's more in a class with the Superformance Coupe - a modernized interpretation of a historic vehicle. An evolution, perhaps, but not to me a great replica.

OK, that's cool. I just wonder what their (perceived) market niche is. I think I understand the niches the other manufacturers have carved out for themselves, but I don't get this one. Since you've esentially identified yourself as a member of their target market, and your profile says you're a marketing executive, I wonder if you could explain what you understand it to be?

I think the market for the GT40NA is the person that loves the GT40 and does not want to think about the other issues that put it on the road as a motor vehicle. This is a turnkey with a very sophisticated and powerful powerplant. They probably are not a tech-oriented person or you don't have the time to be one. They might have owned or own a Viper or a Corvette. This is the one you pick-up at the dealer and drive away. They might not be as passionate as you about the GT40; their passion lies in automobiles in general. They buy and sell cars often and they'll probably hold on to the 40 for only a couple of years. Installing the engine doesn't interest them, but having the best one in there does.

Hmmm... Yeah, I'm definitely not in that category and I don't think I personally know anyone who is, so that explains why I would have a hard time with it...

On this board, I think maybe Master Earl is the closest thing we have to someone in that category, and he's in the market for a new Ford GT. So is it fair to say that the new GT would be this car's biggest competition? Right now it's a lower-cost alternative, but if the predictions of many folks that the new GT prices will come back to reality soon & they'll be available for at or below sticker price, it seems they'll have a tough go of it. The GT, as well as the other cars you mentioned, has a nationwide support (dealership/service) network and what should be a readily available supply of parts. It's also much easier to register and insure, especially of one thinks about using one or the other of these cars as a daily driver.

I guess we'll just have to see how things play out...

Ron Earp

Admin
Unless I'm mistaken, and I'm fairly certain I am not, all the manufactuers of GT40s on this board will deliver a car that is ready to run with the best of what is available. I don't think GT40NA is the only group that can do this. In fact, they are a relatively new player at this compared to some of the others that have been doing it for a long time.

Not to say the GT40NA is not a great car, but it seems like the car is much too expensive considering other alternatives out there. You can get a turnkey ERA car which is about as close to a replica as you can find for quite a bit less money or the RF, CAV or DRB car for about 1/2 that. I can't see them selling that many at that price. I've heard $180K for a 'loaded' one.

I saw the white/blue stripe car at the Concorso Italiano this past year. I thought it was an ok car but nothing extordinary. A nice$80,000 to $90,000 turn key car. I have seen better for less and I sure could not see $140,000+ in value! It seem to me they were concentrating on the wealthier type clients who couldn't get a Ford GT but wanted an exclusive type toy.

Hi guys, this passed summer while attending Auburn Auto Auction I met a very nice gentleman, named Dennis Severson. He told me that he was a dealer, investor and partner, in GT40 NA. He had a red car there that I had the opportunity to look at very closely. The first thing that caught me eye were the large body latches, which I am sure are very functional but did not appeal to me. The car had a stroke 351 Roush and a new ZF-2 gear box from RBT. First glance at the engine bay I noticed the large round tube chassis. Not like the original mono, of course, nor was it the one, that was used on race chassis of the period. What I also found interesting was the double A Arm Corvette C5 Suspenion with the GM casting marks looking me in the eye. This might be find for some folks, but it did not appeal to me. I am sure that the chassis and suspenion would be terrific for race application. He was good enough to let me sit in the car, the seating was comfortable, although the seat were store bought and not custom built for the car. They looked pretty well. A large tunnel made the seating a bit tight in the car. I am not a fan of the billet alum stirring column, of course I am sure that some folks would think this was neat. The asking price of this car as it set, was $129,000.00 which I told him, I thought it was a little high in the world of the GT40's replicas. He explain that, with ZF axle Roush Power carbonfiber body perfessionally built in the USA, makes his price reasonable. GOOD LUCK.

Back