Worth seeing.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I have LB "ignored", so I don't see any of his posts unless they are quoted by others, like Jeff did above.

Sounding kinda paranoid there, LB!! It seems you imply that the educational system is composed strictly of left-leaning individuals. I spent 32 years working in education, and I can assure you that there are WAAAY more conservatively oriented individuals in education than there are liberally oriented individuals.

Have you ever considered getting professional help?

Yeah, I thought not.....

Cheers!

Doug

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Uh, wot? Did you read any of that?

There is nothing inherent in "republic" that protects individual rights more than "democracy." In fact, all a republic is, is a representative democracy.

Basic stuff. I guess you missed it in school. The internet is not a substitute for "school."

Republic

Is defined by a government where authority is derived through election by the people of public officials best fitted to represent them. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles and established evidence, with a strict regard to consequences.

A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass. Avoids the dangerous extreme of either tyranny or mobocracy (a government where the lower classes of a nation control public affairs without respect to law, precedents, or vested rights). Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice, contentment and progress in all areas of arts, science, thought and civil liberties. Republics are the preferred structured base for government throughout Europe and the Americas.

A republic is a form of government under a constitution which provides for the election of:

1) An Executive Officer (Article II of the US Constitution)

(2) A legislative body: (Article I of the US Constitution) with the power of appointment and through the power of legislation can raise revenue and appropriate expenditures in addition to drafting public policy.

(3) A judiciary (Article III of the US Constitution) to pass upon the justice and legality of their government acts and to recognize and enforce individual and sovereign rights.

(4) Expressed and enforced inherent individual rights, (The US Bill of Rights (Amendments 1-10; additional Amendments 11-27).

Remove one of the four checks and balances of a Republic and a country begins becoming an Autocracy.

Add another element with personal involvement and individual say and the country slides toward democracy.

The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
Theodore Roosevelt

A return to first principles in a republic is sometimes caused by the simple virtues of one man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example.
Niccolo Machiavelli

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Grant me thirty years of equal division of inheritances and a free press, and I will provide you with a republic.
Alexis de Tocqueville

In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Syntax, my lad. It has been restored to the highest place in the republic.
John Steinbeck

Society is a republic. When an individual tries to lift themselves above others, they are dragged down by the mass, either by ridicule or slander.
Victor Hugo

The safety of the republic being the supreme law, and Texas having offered us the key to the safety of our country from all foreign intrigues and diplomacy, I say accept the key... and bolt the door at once.
Andrew Jackson

Our government is founded upon the intelligence of the people. I for one do not despair of the republic. I have great confidence in the virtue of the great majority of the people, and I cannot fear the result.
Andrew Jackson

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
REALLY worth seeing:

Despotism: 1946 educational film - YouTube

An old film from before the time of partisan hack history rewrites. Describes the "scale" from democracy to despotism.

Al and Bob, since you missed it in school, note the discussion just a minute in. THE FORM OF GOVERNMENT CANNOT IN AND OF ITSELF PROTECT AGAINST DESPOTISM. Nazi Germany started as a republic under President Hindenburg.

Repeat that. Write it on the chalkboard 100000 times. There is nothing "magic" about a republic, and "democracy" does not always have the necessary end of oligarchy.

Stop the foolishness. Educate yourselves. Learn. Debate. And then vote.

Rather than: Check internet, view screwy video, post as truth, and vote.

I have LB "ignored", so I don't see any of his posts unless they are quoted by others, like Jeff did above.

Sounding kinda paranoid there, LB!! It seems you imply that the educational system is composed strictly of left-leaning individuals. I spent 32 years working in education, and I can assure you that there are WAAAY more conservatively oriented individuals in education than there are liberally oriented individuals.

Have you ever considered getting professional help?

Yeah, I thought not.....

Cheers!

Doug

Still wondering if you still wear those white patent leather shoes, you know the ones with the tassels? The green and red plaid pants with the mild bells really need to go too.

I really liked this video. For years I have said<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> extremists on both sides of the spectrum are not so different. If your an outsider looking in at Hitler's Nazi's and Stalin's Russia, how much of difference is there? Both did whatever they wanted at the cost of millions of lives.

Is it not true that right wingers want less government? It sure sounds like they are asking for less regulation and less union rights all the time. If you take this to the extreme, I think a right-wing extremists would be holed up somewhere with MRE's clinging to their guns. So I think the videos definition of the "spectrum" is quite accurate. Notice they didn't call the far left liberals and the right conservatives... nor did they call them republicans or democrats. As we have seen under Bush, Republicans and be for expanding government as well.

I think the problem is that most people don't care if they give the power to a small group of people... as long as that group is inline with their beliefs - even though that doing this is a recipe for disaster and has lead to such countless times throughout history. I bet the Old Bolsheviks didnt think they would be rounded up and purged when they came to power...

Does it really matter that a Dictator is an extreme leftist or right winger? No it doesn't. They are still a dictator.

REALLY worth seeing:

Despotism: 1946 educational film - YouTube

An old film from before the time of partisan hack history rewrites. Describes the "scale" from democracy to despotism.

Al and Bob, since you missed it in school, note the discussion just a minute in. THE FORM OF GOVERNMENT CANNOT IN AND OF ITSELF PROTECT AGAINST DESPOTISM. Nazi Germany started as a republic under President Hindenburg.

Repeat that. Write it on the chalkboard 100000 times. There is nothing "magic" about a republic, and "democracy" does not always have the necessary end of oligarchy.

Stop the foolishness. Educate yourselves. Learn. Debate. And then vote.

Rather than: Check internet, view screwy video, post as truth, and vote.

So, you're allowing yourself to be influenced by a Forties Freudian (!) psychological/political theorist who stated, "For example, knowledge about the childhood sexual experiences of political leaders would reveal why some were radicals and others conservatives, why some were revolutionaries and others establishment administrators."

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Harold_Dwight_Lasswell.aspx

This explains a lot about your bizarre political and social mores.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
That clip was shown to most grade schoolers right after the war. It was how history viewed Nazism and despotism at the time. You are now saying it contains a "bizarre" view of politics and social mores? Compared to say Glenn Beck? Got it, check.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I agree with you that the spectrum is really a circle. Totalitarianism is totalitarianism regardless of the flavor (left or right).

I do not agree with you that "right wing" always means "less government" and left wing "more.

On the extreme fringe of the left are anarchists who believe in no government. Most dictatorships were/are viewed as highly intrusive big government.

Remember, the whole premise behind the video was to discredit "real" democracy as the masses stealing individual rights from the "producers" (very Ayn Randian) and to convince folks that Nazists are to be identified with the political left. Both total BS.

I really liked this video. For years I have said<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> extremists on both sides of the spectrum are not so different. If your an outsider looking in at Hitler's Nazi's and Stalin's Russia, how much of difference is there? Both did whatever they wanted at the cost of millions of lives.

Is it not true that right wingers want less government? It sure sounds like they are asking for less regulation and less union rights all the time. If you take this to the extreme, I think a right-wing extremists would be holed up somewhere with MRE's clinging to their guns. So I think the videos definition of the "spectrum" is quite accurate. Notice they didn't call the far left liberals and the right conservatives... nor did they call them republicans or democrats. As we have seen under Bush, Republicans and be for expanding government as well.

I think the problem is that most people don't care if they give the power to a small group of people... as long as that group is inline with their beliefs - even though that doing this is a recipe for disaster and has lead to such countless times throughout history. I bet the Old Bolsheviks didnt think they would be rounded up and purged when they came to power...

Does it really matter that a Dictator is an extreme leftist or right winger? No it doesn't. They are still a dictator.

That clip was shown to most grade schoolers right after the war. It was how history viewed Nazism and despotism at the time. You are now saying it contains a "bizarre" view of politics and social mores? Compared to say Glenn Beck? Got it, check.

The man was a Freudian gibberist! Liberalism has become a bizarre cult. Look at the Occupy freaks. They are not mainstream, no matter how you wish them to be.

All Beck says is backed up with video of the perpetrators he is outing. The internet is not your freud, oops, friend.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Ah! More is revealed. So Glenn Beck is a source of some of your news/information? All is being revealed.

I don't give two shits about the Occupy crowd. They are the mirror-crazies of the Tea Zombies.

By the way, how did a long haired free love hippy like you turn into a Nazi?

Ah! More is revealed. So Glenn Beck is a source of some of your news/information? All is being revealed.

I don't give two shits about the Occupy crowd. They are the mirror-crazies of the Tea Zombies.

By the way, how did a long haired free love hippy like you turn into a Nazi?

"They talk of days for which they sit and wait, all will be revealed." Kashmir!

Seriously, yours is the party of Saul Alinsky, Van Jones, Bill Ayers, Karl Marx. Your leaders open theirs mouths and some dare put it up for a mass audience to decide for themselves.

that, of course makes them nut jobs. Even I am in the hallowed nutjob hall of fame in your eyes! You can't defend it so you demonize.

I love seeing the veil of liberal deceit torn down. Squirm, baby, squirm.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
The man was a Freudian gibberist!

Here's a short biography on "that man:"

Harold Dwight Lasswell (February 13, 1902 — December 18, 1978) was a leading American political scientist and communications theorist. He was a member of the Chicago school of sociology and was a professor at Yale University in law. He was a President of the American Political Science Association (APSA) and World Academy of Art and Science (WAAS). According to a biographical memorial written by Gabriel Almond at the time of Lasswell's death and published by the National Academies of Sciences in 1987, Lasswell "ranked among the half dozen creative innovators in the social sciences in the twentieth century." At the time, Almond asserted that "few would question that he was the most original and productive political scientist of his time." Areas of research in which Lasswell worked included the importance of personality, social structure, and culture in the explanation of political phenomena. He was noted to be ahead of his time in employing a variety of methodological approaches that later became standards across a variety of intellectual traditions including interviewing techniques, content analysis, para-experimental techniques, and statistical measurement.

What's your resume again?

Here's a short biography on "that man:"

Harold Dwight Lasswell (February 13, 1902 — December 18, 1978) was a leading American political scientist and communications theorist. He was a member of the Chicago school of sociology and was a professor at Yale University in law. He was a President of the American Political Science Association (APSA) and World Academy of Art and Science (WAAS). According to a biographical memorial written by Gabriel Almond at the time of Lasswell's death and published by the National Academies of Sciences in 1987, Lasswell "ranked among the half dozen creative innovators in the social sciences in the twentieth century." At the time, Almond asserted that "few would question that he was the most original and productive political scientist of his time." Areas of research in which Lasswell worked included the importance of personality, social structure, and culture in the explanation of political phenomena. He was noted to be ahead of his time in employing a variety of methodological approaches that later became standards across a variety of intellectual traditions including interviewing techniques, content analysis, para-experimental techniques, and statistical measurement.

What's your resume again?

He based his theories on FREUDIAN THEORY, you know, the guy who thought everything was driven by sex. Now a days, we call them horn doggers.

He's one of Roosevelt's crazies, bud.

And you are qualified to make this assessment due to.....your flunking out of college? Or what?

He was an advocate of Freud, deny it. Freud's theories have been discredited. He built his house of cards on that.

Since you are anal retentive, I will remind you that I dropped out, quit college, which explains in part why I'm not a brain washed liberal.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Read "failed" at college. Learning and stuff. The things that give you the tools to process information. Tools you sorely lack and allow you to be duped by various videos on the internet. Nice.

Some of Freuds theories have been discredited, some have not. Some of Dr. Lasswell's analysis accepted Freud's theories as valid, some had nothing to do with Freud like the parts explaining what democracy and despotism are, and how the mere fact we are a "republic" does not ensure anything.

Call it what you want, but anyone who thinks "For example, knowledge about the childhood sexual experiences of political leaders would reveal why some were radicals and others conservatives, why some were revolutionaries and others establishment administrators," can't be taken seriously.

BTW, some people need the crutch of a degree to drive home their point. Laughable. All you've proven is that you were able to put up with their B.S. for X years and now you are ready to put up with the firm's B.S. for another x years. You poor, weak little boy.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Check. As usual, you got nothing.

I get there is a horde of misinformed and underinformed folks like you out there who think the understand politics and history and economics after a few trips to Youtube. Scary, but I have to admit it has happened.

PT Barnum was right.

Back