Original Driver of GT40s 1017 & 1037

Ian Clark

Supporter
Had the pleasure of chatting with Eppie Weitzes yesterday about his seat time in the GT40 when they were all shiny and new. Great guy, lots of stories and some never seen before pictures I will post as soon as I get some spare time, hahahah

Attachments

• 45842-Eppie1b.jpg
    45842-Eppie1b.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 358
Re: Original Driver of GT40s 1017 & 1037

That's great Ian,
There's nothing like talking to those guys that drove during our generation.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter

Hi Hersh,

Here's some more pics. Eppie was at the top of his game then as a sports car driver. He was invited to drive a Lotus 49 in the 1967 Canadian Grand Prix. The car he drove in the rain soaked race was the one Jimmy Clark had crashed in practice. The mechanics worked all nite to get it ready. Apparently the alignment couldn't be completely restored.

Eppie had never driven a single seat race car, let alone an F1 in his nearly ten years of racing experience leading up to that event. The deal was: "here's the car, go have some fun but don't bend it". Funny since it came prebent!

So with one practice session total seat time, Eppie was a Formula 1 driver. The race was challenging for all and Eppie brought the car back in one piece in tenth position, well done.

Eppie also gave me a picture of what happens to a GT40 after low altitude flying. He had a coming together with a Group 7 car at Westwood, got launched and viola!

The Comstock prepared GT40s were distinct in the radiator intake being slightly drooped to bring in more air, looks good too...

Attachments

• 45940-EppieCollectionC.jpg
    45940-EppieCollectionC.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 374

Great Stuff Ian!!
Does Eppie do any historic racing ?

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi John, 1017 recently changed hands and has been vintage raced for many years. I will be contacting the new owners when we do our 1017 copy (oops, let that one out of the bag!)

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Hersh,

Eppie will be getting back in the saddle next season. He had a quadruple bipass last year and has had a full recovery. The doctors told him to take it easy but that didn't keep him out of speed boat or Ferrari 550.

Still works every day at the family owned Toyota shop and as a daily driver has a supercharged/intercooled Solara. Cool guy, beat Ken Miles at Mosport and is still around to talk about it.

Comstock Racing GT40 pics

Hello Ian

As promise I'm attaching pictures of Eppie's early days: First his Shelby Cobra, King Cobra and Shelby Mustang.

eppie.jpg

eppiekingcobra.jpg

eppiemustang.jpg

The Cobra photo was taken at Mosport and the Mustang photo is outside Toronto City Hall.

The next photos are from Eppies's GT40 exploits. Notice the higher radiator opening.

The first is at speed at Mosport:

wietzesmosportspeed.jpg

Great shot here at Moss Corner:

eppiemosscorner.jpg

One of Eppie in the paddock at Mosport:

eppiemosport.jpg

One from Westwood, 1967 - photocredit Art Bayne:

EppieGT40WestwoodArtBaynePhoto.jpg

And finally, for anyone looking to build a replica of a Comstock GT40, a Comstock Racing Decal from the GT40 days!

ComstockRacingDecal.jpg

Thanks to Jimmy Johnston for helping to source these photos.

Rob

Ian Clark

Supporter
Re: Comstock Racing GT40 pics

Hi Rob, Thanks for posting the pics. Really appreciated. Here's another one of Eppie.

Cheers

Attachments

• 47155-EppieCollection3c.jpg
    47155-EppieCollection3c.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 402
Back