Need info

Hi,

I am a new member, hoping to get a couple of questions answered .

Can someone explain what a Ford Advanced Vehicle is?

Does anyone know a website that can determine vin #'s?

Thanks!

Ford Advanced Vehicles (FAV) was the company established in Britain by Ford in 1963-64 for the initial design, development, construction, and competition of the GT40. FAV was supplanted in 1967 by "JWA," a company co-owned by John Wyer (former Director of FAV) and John Willment. Regarding a web site for VINs, be more specific about what car(s) you need information on. If it is a GT40, this site is your best on-line source, IMO.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
V A,

I don't know of a single site that will do this, but if you are looking for VIN ranges for certain makes and years of cars that is how you will find them on the web.

For instance, at one point I considered making up my own VIN number based on the VIN numbers Ford was assigning in the mid 60s. I no longer have the URL, but I was able to find a complete guide to Ford VINs on the web. If you do enough searching on Google or Ask, I am sure you would be able to find VIN numbers and the decoding of those numbers for specific makes and year ranges.

Regards,
Lynn

Don and Lynn,

Thanks for your response to Axo07, I am a partner in this venture and was unavailable last night to post the question myself. Axo07 and I have located a car that has the words "ford advanced vehicle" "1966" and a few numbers(which we won't disclose here) stamped on a data plate in the left rear area. Also, the car is left hand drive. We have several questions in regards to authenticity of this car and would appreciate the assistance of this forum to answer them. Scott

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Scott,

Silk screened FAV plates have been made available to anyone on several occasions. (I have one on my car as well.) Without verifiable paperwork documentation and a check of Ronnie Spain's book, which is the definitive guide to authentic GT-40s production records, I would advise you not to take ANYTHING for granted.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Scott,

Also, if you can get some photos of the chassis, there are many here who can give you a pretty quick indication if it is NOT an original car. There are damned few out there that can pass for the real thing at the chassis level and the few that can, to my knowledge, will leave little doubt as to what they are (Lee Holman and Superformance cars.)

Go here, Racing Icons: Ford GT40 Restoration, to see what a real GT40 looks like under the covers.

Be careful, be very careful!

Again, regards,
Lynn

Last edited:
Lynn,

Thanks for the info. We are taking baby steps at this point and treating the car as a replica and NOT as an authentic. I do have one question that needs to be answered. Have all of the original cars been accounted? We all have heard the stories about the "barn find" but is there someone or a source as to where all of the cars are? Thanks, Scott

gt 40 guy said:
Don and Lynn,

Thanks for your response to Axo07.... Also, the car is left hand drive. We have several questions in regards to authenticity of this car and would appreciate the assistance of this forum to answer them. Scott

The only left-hand drive original GT40s are two (2) of the Mk III "street GT40." Seven (7) Mk IIIs were built, five (5) right hand drive and two (2) left hand. All Mk IIIs had a central shifter location, in between the two seats. All other original GT40s--Mk I, Mk II, and Mk IV--are right hand drive and right hand shifter. Be very careful.

Thanks guys for the information. I/we will keep you posted as to when we obtain the car and what happens after that. Scott

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
John,
My point is, why the "dude" questions regarding the FAV plate and registrations ?
Why not post the "P ####'" and somebody could chip in and tell us if it's the real deal or not.
I was puzzled - the first post is an enquiry regarding FAV indicated no basic research of Ford GTs and that VA had possibly found a car and was checking the reliability of the find on an aluminium plate which anybody can buy from eBay for ten dollars.
With all this hype over GTs these past few years I personally doubt if there are any of Chris Melia's "Lost Arks" left. What are the odds?
And now we see from another post today which car it is.
So why waste time and not get to the point ?.

JIMMYMAC said:
And now we see from another post today which car it is.

Ron's post today asking "Is it this one?" referred to a Mk II clone on eBay, which is a RHD car as far as I know. No one responded "Yes, that's it." The initial messages in this thread seemed to say that the car they "found" is LHD. Although there are (or at least were, when Legate's book was published) a very few original GT40s still unaccounted for, I don't believe any are LHD. Unless my feeble brain has missed something entirely (always possible), it would seem that the mystery car is some kind of replica (being LHD), but as yet unidentified by V A or Scott, who posted the initial messages. And I agree with JimmyMac. It would be a lot easier to just post the chassis number, or send it in a PM.

Guys,

We appreciate the responses but have not obtained the car as of yet. As soon as we get it in our hands then we will make public the vin.

Scott

Okay, the plot has thickened. The car is definetly a kit of some sort BUT the ID tag says that it was manufactured by Ford Advanced Vehicles. The owner is deceased so asking him anything is out of the question. Any help would be appreciated at this point. Scott

Back