what's it like to take a long journey in a GT40 ?

what\'s it like to take a long journey in a GT40 ?

I'm going to be driving my GT on several
long trips and I was curious as to what the
comfort level is. I have only ridden in
one for a short distance. It
feels very compfy being in the semi reclined
position. This may not be true for long trips. So if any of you have taken a
long ride or drive in one please let us know
what it's like.

Hersh
smile.gif

Re: what\'s it like to take a long journey in a GT40 ?

Hersh,

What I'd like to know, is what you are going to do about luggage? It wouldn't
be too bad if you were riding solo,as you could put your gear in the other seat, but
with a passenger, you had better pack light,
like an extra pair of skivvies and a toothbrush!

Bill

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Bill,
I already got that worked out.
grin.gif

My door compartments are large enough
to hold a good size gym bag. I stuffed the
bag with 2 pr shorts, 2 pr pants,2 shirts,
2 pr socks, and underwear.
The wife gets the other door
so she better pack light and tight.
grin.gif

In the rear clip behind the wheel wells
in the brake light compartment,
there is plenty of room there for a
gym bag on each side.those bags will be for toiletries and other misclanous items.
The last spot is in the front ahead
of the footbox. There is enough room there
for another small bag. I'm sure the wife will
claim that spot.
grin.gif
Now if I need anymore
room there is a small amount just under the
passengers knees. You could also put some
under the drivers knees but I would bungie
that down so it won't move.
Now if all this still isn't enough for me,
I will make one small insulated box
that clips onto the area behind the left
rear shock absorber. This area measures
18" deep X 14" long X by 8 1/2" wide. That
should hold quite a bit more items.
I guess if there is a will there is a way,
it's the best that I've come up with so far.

Hersh
smile.gif

Hersh,

You've obviously been thinking on this
subject for a while. Next thing you know, you'll have found a place for the kitchen
sink!
Thanks for the ideas. Now, the wife will
be able to buy more than a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk when I take her to the
grocery store!
How long until blastoff on your car? You
must be getting very close.

Bill

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

You're right Bill, been thinking a lot
about luggage space.
I should be painting this thing in a week
or so. The engine will probably come soon
after. Then I can start putting in all the
wiring and mechanicals. It's on it's wheels
already and the body work is just about
finished. I'm gonna prime it and flat
stick sand it in a day or two.
I can't wait !
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

For cars doing longer trips to europe, particularly to Le Mans, I have made twin luggage boxes that sit either side of the gearbox as the 1966 race cars. These boxes are made in aluminium and are fitted by overcentre clips for easy removal, each having a handle on top. They are of a quality that enables them to be carried into the hotel as bespoke suitcases. With special internal thermal lining, even things like plastic toothbrushes and sensitive clothing are undamaged, if a little warm!, and the owners now use them all the time except on the track. I also make (again for GTDs) a bespoke tool box that sits under the front hood which is big enough to carry enough tools and small spare parts to get most problems fixed. Photos if you are interested if I can find them. Frank

Hi all

I went for the Mk 111 for this very reason I have a luggage compartment over the trans that takes a suitcase a vanity case and a tool box . At the front of the car I carry a spare wheel 7” x 15” and under that I have a jack.
The door pockets holds a case of Mini disks road maps and tickets ect.

The trip from the UK to Le Mans is about 400 miles each way with a ferry crossing to
break the journey. One thing you have to remember is to take your wallet out of your
rear pocket! otherwise you get a dead leg from sitting on it. Always wear a lose shirt
as you are restricted by the belts and you need to stay cool. One last point is to fit a
front sun screen to the top of the windshield to keep the sun out of your eyes as wearing sun gasses gets in the way of vision especially when reversing.

Regards

Chris
cool.gif
cool.gif

I've done a few 1-2 hour drives in my car now & found the car much more acceptable with the side windows removed. This is manily because my air-con is not working!

An easy alternative to air-con would be making windows that easily pop-out, however, storing them in the car would reduce luggage space further.

Hersh,

I was laughing when I read this post about your space figuring. The others have given some good thoughts about something not usually considered. I too have a goal of taking mine from Oregon to New York harbor and back, when I get it done (hopefully it'll run faster than I build).

Have you video taped any of your build? I think the sanding, wiring and other aspects of the GT40 would be interesting to see. I think that'd be great to capture on video your long trip also. You could add these things to your website.

John

I also make small glassfibre wind deflectors that fit to front and top of window opening which allows you to drive without side windows and with no wind buffeting. they are designed to be body color and fit to existing window screw holes, so no additional fixings. Frank

John,
I don't own a video camera but I am taking lots of photos. I will be adding more to the site soon. Most of the wiring fortunatly is
plug and play thanks to Roaring forties. It has a very complete wiring manual and all
the wires are harnessed so well it
would be hard to screw up.

Hersh
smile.gif

Having driven M3/1107 on acouple of occasions and also my own car, I can sum up the experience with one word - HOT!
cool.gif

G

I wondered when someone would use the word HOT in this thread.

Some years back our club organised a trip to the Nurburgring. Nine 40's in convoy was fairly distrcting to the other road users!

It was a very very hot day on the drive out and I don't have air con fitted to my car. Paul Thompson was with me on that trip and we drank about 4 litres of fluid each without needing a rest room. Needed to change tee shirts regularly though! Roy was driving the whole trip over by himself and he really felt a bit rough by the end for the heat was bad.

Coming back was a different story. We didn't all go in one convoy. Also I took the windows out and that was lovely. When Paul and I were filling up with petrol at a motorway filling station, three otehr 40's went past just as we were doing up our harnesses.

To avoid any legal action here I shall change names for all parties involved! Maybe the Belgium police read this forum!

Anyway, Michael said to Robert, "shall we catch up with them?" to which the answer came back "yeah all right". They had a two minute head start....

After one hour of cruising at between 120 mph and 130 mph we got to Calais for the ferry and found that they had arrived five minutes before us! Now that was a HOT trip.

What I am trying to say is that teh windows out thing is nice as these cars are hot without effective aircon.

Malcolm/Michael/Robert... take your pick!

I guess I should have been more specific
in my post. I realize this car is hot without air cond. My GT has air. I was
thinking more along the lines of eronomics.
Is the seating comfortable enough for
long journeys ? Or is it that you can't wait
to stop so you can get out and stretch.
Does your neck become sore or your legs and
arms ? In my RFGT40 there is room for a small
dead pedal and I think this would help
on long trips. Does anyone else have one in
theirs? I'm not trying to build a Cadillac
here guys, just trying to find out what it's
like and what to expect.
smile.gif

Hersh:

Dead pedals help.My car has one. Losing 30 pounds helps and enables you and passenger to fit better. Longest stint I've gone with a passenger without stopping is about 150 miles, 300 miles in a day. MK-IV passenger space, because of dash is probably worse than MK-I,MK-II. A confortable alternative is a tour such as the Texas 1000 where they provide luggage transport,make all hotel and route arrangements and follow in a flatbed,albeit at a price.

Hershal,

In my case the GT40 is very comfortable. the seats are soft but supportive, you can rest your head on the headrest & relax.

Pedals are good but I've had to spend time getting them right *for me*. Steering column is adjustable for & aft & up & down (a bit) so can be set 'spot-on'. I could drive it all day!!

Hersh. I took the RFGT40 on the Melbourne Mille recently which took in some 1200 miles over four days and included some of Australia's highest roads. It is all to do with first class accomodation,food,wines,company,roads and cars, and I have already paid my deposit for the next one. We had a real Cobra,Ferrari 330 GTC,Lusso and plenty of Astons,Healeys and E Types on the event. I got out of the car each day feeling great although my wife complained when she saw 200 kph (125 mph) on the speedo from time to time. I was pleasantly suprised what a great touring car it is. regards
Oh and bye the way we had a baggage truck...
[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: norman falkiner ]

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: norman falkiner ]

Thanks guys for all the comments.
I sent Ron some photos of the bag in the
door and in the rear clip area. I still
haven't figured out the picture posting
thin yet.

Julian, what is your steering column
out of ? I am thinking of doing the same
thing. If I can find the right column I
will.

Hersh
smile.gif

The best one is when your passenger goes to sleep on the motorway with his foot under your clutch pedal and you go to change down for an exit and you can`t
panic!!!!!!!!!!
regards Dick
blush.gif
blush.gif

One thing you can do which helps a lot is to narrow the passenger side sill and use a narrower fuel cell in that side. I did that in my Lola T-70 and it made a huge difference. I think I narrowed it 4 inches. The Lola is now very usable with a passenger and still holds 40 gallons of fuel.

Back