what's it like to take a long journey in a GT40 ?

G

Re: what\'s it like to take a long journey in a GT40 ?

I have a GT40 Australia car similar to Bill Bayards and it has been on the road for more than two years. I have done 6 hour trips in it without any trouble. In fact the higher the road speed the more comfortable the car is. It has three speed airconditioning as well as fresh air intakes. It has hung pedals which means I can stretch out on long trips plus being under 6 foot in height does help. My doors do not have panels on them and are hollow so that all that space can be used for storing things like a change of underwear, bottles of water etc.Also we can carry extra baggage in the front under the brake booster etc.
It does not matter how far you travel you will always get out with a big smile on your face ...........Stephen

Hersh,

My steering column is stock GTD, which I *think* is a Triumph Dolomite item. I don't know if you had these cars in the US & they are quite rare in the UK now so I wouldn't know where to get one.

you can move the wheel fore/aft about 4 inches. Only downside is the splined section of the shaft that slides has a V. small amount of play in it.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Glad to see people are using these cars on the road and going places with them. As far as losing thirty pounds goes, if you take a six hour trip in the summer you WILL lose thirty pounds just sweating inside the car...well maybe not quite thirty but you get the idea.
Can someone post a description of the removeable side windows? How does this work,do you use a different type of window fastener or do you just undo the screws that hold them in? Would like to know.

MWGT40

Supporter

Norman

I am considering taking my GTD40 on the 2,500 mile return trip called the St Moritz Blitz which is a "race" in aid of charity (kids with Aids) down to St Moritz in Switzerland. This sounds like your Australian trip. I put race in quotes because you have to solve cryptic clues to work out the route each day and so it often pays to adopt a more haste less speed approach to ensure you set off in the right direction.

25 cars took part last year including Astons, Ferraris (incl an F40 and 360), Porsches, Jags etc - I went with my Porsche Boxster 'S' coming 5th. This year I wanted to take the GTD40 but am definitely concerned about the heat factor as well as the car grounding out on mountain/country roads at speed.

We are sure to be going flat out in places like last year, particularly in France and Germany where I had an indicated 165 mph on the Porsche for a 15 minute stretch! - hence my concern at potentially grounding out at speed.

Am I being overly concerned?

Martin

Martin. This is a tough call. I would think it would depend on your suspension setup as far as bottoming out goes. the 5 inch clearance I run is fine and I think I only hit once on a sudden rise in the road which was taken at speed. The heat problems as I mentioned on a previous thread I don't have with air and a three speed fan but I think the heat soak would vary greatly from car to car. regards

G

Normally when you take out your winddows you just unscrew them. However as they screw in and out of a plastic door, you could run the risk of damaging the holes in the door framand so strip the "thread". Same with headlights covers etc when you go in to them for adjustments etc. Also if you take the windows with you in the car for replacement upon arrival then you have to be careful not to scracth them during transit. the mini windows catches do this damage. If you are short in the leg then some people put them one behind each seat. One guy just had his window held in by velcro but I don't think he went to fast in case it got sucked out.

For long trips my only other thought is to ensure you have good lumber support. I use a sparco inflatable lumbar cushion behind the leather upholstery. About £35 (ish).

Malcolm

G

Hi Hersh,
I'm with Malcolm on the lumber support, they are cheap and work really well. I drive my car to nearly all the events I compete in in the UK, race and then drive home in the evening. For some events this is a 350 mile round trip.
Whether you are racing or road driving you must invest time in getting the essentials right. Seating comfort, wheel position and pedal set up need to be worked on until they are just right for you. A clutch foot rest is essential (dead pedal) and your mirrors must give a clear view of the road behind and to the sides for lane changes. Fit a headlamp flasher to warn other motorists of your approach and decent air horns.
Fit a sun visor, I use a green tinted Cobra side windscreen deflector which fits beautifully on the header rail at the top of the screen and is short enough not to interfere with the door top. When it is fully folded down you can see through it.
Make sure your car can take lengthy spells stuck in traffic without overheating.
Set your windscreen wiper up so it works properly and has a good washer system.
This may all sound obvious but you would be surprised how many 40s I've seen that don't have these basic features, all of which you would demand on a Nissan Sunny.
I have found that tyre pressures make a big difference to comfort on long distance trips, I suggest you try 23 front and 25 rear with radials as a starting point.
Wear foam ear plugs, they really help to reduce fatigue on a long trip.
Finally, always remember to pull up to junctions square so that you have clear visibility and don't have to pull out blind.
It sounds like you have got your luggage well sorted, but if you can't find space for all your cash, you can always try the system used in the film "Papillon"! If you do, please put a posting on the site to let us all know how it went.
Have a good one.
Andrew

Thanks Andrew for your comments.
They are all things that definetly are
in the plan. I especially like the
sunvisor trick. I have an old sunvisor
hinge and I will now attach a piece of
tinted lexan to it. I am also putting in a
tilt wheel and electronic cruise control. I
plan on a lot of long trips. My right leg
was injured in a land far away and I have
a difficult time with it when I can't
move it around on long trips. That's why I
need the Cruise control. I am going to make
make my own billit dead pedal.
I am not sure I can incorporate the lumbar
into my leather RF seats. How does it
install or is it made into the seat?
I have a pair of electric adjustable
mirrors off of a 1987 Mazda RX7. They
look like they are made for the GT40.
Today I installed the radiator and hoses.
Man!, it sure is a tight fit but it does
fit. I'm going to pump and bleed the brakes
Saturday.

Hersh
smile.gif

MWGT40

Supporter

Hersh

Can you send me a picture of your car with the electric mirrors on it. I am about to change mine and if there are electric ones available that look authentic, I may opt for this instead of the original bullet style ones

Thanks, martin

Hersh, I took a forty to the Swedish auto shows. This involves 3 5 hour drives, two boat journeys, four different countries and many very curious customs people! You can put suit bags behind your seats also if you have enough room. You could get4-5 shirts in each with 3-4 pair or trousers. I hung my suit bag on the engine cable pulls! I had a small Gym bag in the door bin, a crate of whisky (as whisky is very expensive in Sweden everything is!) another holdall with t-shirts with GT40 logo's and badges for the show, a case with all the brochures in, another gym bag with essential tools, bulbs, fuses, change of overalls! and a personal CD in case you get bored. Packing it all in was fun, unpacking it all at the Swedish customs search was not fun! They also stripped half the car down. Light access panels, carpets, fuel tank plates, you name it. Then left me to put it all back! Then i had a 5 hour drive to get to Gothamburg as they told me i could only do 60 mph! thats the top speed in Sweden. Boring! I er did it in 2 hours 5 mins but dont tell anyone! There's something about driving through a snow covered landscape at 150! luckily the roads were well cleared and gritted! All the best with the packing.
Mark Sibley
MDA

Back