Exhaust Outlet Variations

Has anyone had the exhaust pipes coming out where the rear lemans panels are for the 40? Similar to how Iain with RF 117 has done for his Group 2 car...

What no takers? Is it a sacred gt40 thing to exit out its middle? :lipsrsealed:

There is a growing number of changes to emissions compliance in the world and it makes zero sense to tack on a bunch of pipes to make it "legal" then taking it all off for a set of "hotdog mufflers".

I want to build a system that will be reasonably quiet but has less twists and turns to force it out the middle hole...Im not after the last 3-4hp...

I just want to know if anyone has pictures or examples of how the outlets can be "dressed" to look good and what to do with the middle hole...

Would love to help, but just starting my headers now. Mine will not be a registered car (track only) and as such will head straight out the back in the middle.

Maybe a modified arrangement from a late model ferrari / porsche. This F430 unit runs east-west, so may fit above the trans?

Attachments

• f430s-exhaust.jpg
    f430s-exhaust.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 437
Thanks Troy. From what I can see there is no need for anything complicated....it would be simple to add cats to Iain's RF 117 setup as follows. It would mean the tips come out of the leman's panel cutout...

One could use standard quieter offset mufflers and 180 bends...

Would that kill the look of the gt40?

attachment.php

As opposed to this:

attachment.php

Well I decided to do it my way and I've finally finished my system. I ended up coming out to the centre as I think it looks neater. I fabricated a set of crossover headers out of 44.4mm tubing and then made up some collectors with nice merge spikes inside and then 75mm piping into a set of 80mm offset mufflers, then 80 to 100mm megaphones to finish it off.

megaphones_02.jpeg

looking good, how much different/lower in db are such systems compare with the more 'standard' systems?
I mean a lot tracks have a max db limit and most GT40 are way to 'loud' :D

Mike Pass

Supporter
Nice work. It will be interesting to see what db you get out of it. Looking at all that surface area of tubing in your system there might be some heat issues under the rear clip when not moving. Maybe some insulating wrap (not good for the looks after all that neat work) or ceramic coating might be in order. On a very hot day on my car the temp under the rear clip with a more standard exhaust gets to the level where the fuel pumps cannot pick up the fuel from the tanks cavitates in the pumps.
Cheers
Mike

Airbox looks nice....

With mufflers that small, why even bother?
Unless Im wrong and there are mini-blackholes inside the mufflers channeling the emissions into a singularity of sorts... :idea:

I think its a clever design with a U-turn so its almost effective as a double that size muffler? also the 2 tips have also little function to reduce noise me thinks.

Good job Clayton.

Time to head back down my way and make me a set to quiet down my 40.

Glad it is still progressing

that is some nice pipework...
with 2 sport catts is that on a DRB? what spcs and how is the sound...db friendly for trackdays?

Back