AC system

Hello could someone tell me what make and model of AC system is currently used ?
and if you have some pictures of where the components where installed would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Fran is the best person to ask but based on my recent visit to RCR the system is from Vintage Air and the evaporator is their Mini Slim Line under dash unit. The front vents are removed and openings are made in the top of the unit to discharge air up through the aluminum plate (under the dash) on the passenger side. There is a fiberglass plenum that mounts on top of the aluminum and under the dash that distributes the air to the dash vents and defrosters.

Regards,
Dave L

Attachments

• SLC with LS9 - AC Evaporator Under Dash.JPG
    SLC with LS9 - AC Evaporator Under Dash.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 598
Thanks Mollear, Can anyone tell me if the compressor, mounting bracket, with tensioner from the CTS-V will fit ?

Also, you can mix and match compressor with the rest of the system. They all work in a similar fashion, assuming a new, modern compressor for LS application and 134A.

Doug

PLT-1

CURRENTLY BANNED
On the subject of A/C systems, does anyone have a running car that can report on the performance of the A/C system? I am located in central Florida and the A/C performance is top three on my list. I have a daily driver pantera that performs very well at highway speeds for about an hour and a half, after that the a/c system has a hard time keeping up with engine heat, a huge glass windshield, all black int, and the 90 to 95 degree outside temps.

On the subject of A/C systems, does anyone have a running car that can report on the performance of the A/C system? I am located in central Florida and the A/C performance is top three on my list. I have a daily driver pantera that performs very well at highway speeds for about an hour and a half, after that the a/c system has a hard time keeping up with engine heat, a huge glass windshield, all black int, and the 90 to 95 degree outside temps.

The red car I have been caring for recently has AC. Despite not having any sealing anywhere in the car, it does blow cool air. The cockpit volume is relatively small, and these units are designed for larger cars, so the carrying capacity of the unit is good.

But for really good performance, you have to insulate the interior from all sources of heat. For SLC builders, this is easier, as unlike many other cars, there is no central spine through which coolant lines pass. That makes a big difference, but the real payoff is sealing all body/chassis gaps, all sources of outside air, and insulating the interior thoroughly.

Your Pantera issue sounds like a classic case of heat soak, which, if true, could be solved by better sealing and insulation.

I don't think any SLC owners that carefully seal everything and insulate the interior will have issues with the AC, even in hot humid climes.

PLT-1

CURRENTLY BANNED
Heat soak is my issue for sure. I drive my performance cars quite often, that's the point of having them. I have addressed the soak issue in a variety of ways. My location provides the opportunity for an a/c system to shine. Should I get involved w/the SLC I will look to the leading edge of this technology. I have to make my rounds first. I need to see Jack, then Fran.... Thank you for your a/c advice. Does this constitute "thread hijacking"... Most humble apologies if so :lipsrsealed:....

No worries, keep the questions coming, you asked a few I never thought of.
I wish I could see an entire system laided out so I would know what to expect and where it all go's.
Cheers,

PLT-1

CURRENTLY BANNED
I don't know if there is an official vendor for SLC but, nostalgic air parts really got my car blowing cold. They also met me there on a Saturday morning. I intend to quickly determine the leading edge and my first call will to NAP... You can look at systems on the site, call and ask them the vent temps of each system and I think they have some youtube stuff also...
Aftermarket Air Conditioning For Automobiles and AC parts

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
As far as compressors go you don't have to use anything other than the OEM compressor that comes on the motor you are using.
It makes life so much simpler.
I have a 5.4 mod motor with the standard Ford compressor and all the other A/C components are Sanden and it all works just fine.
No need for fancy belts and pulleys just the standard serpentine belt.

Dimi

As far as compressors go you don't have to use anything other than the OEM compressor that comes on the motor you are using.
It makes life so much simpler.
I have a 5.4 mod motor with the standard Ford compressor and all the other A/C components are Sanden and it all works just fine.
No need for fancy belts and pulleys just the standard serpentine belt.

Dimi

That may not be true for certain GM compressors. I understand that some of them use controls to vary the effective duty cycle (or something like that) and that the aftermarket systems need a traditional compressor like the Sanden 7176 or aftermarket clone, which is what all of the SLCs I've seen have.

Probably best to check with the AC manufacturer to validate your compressor choice it you go off the reservation.

Back