AC system

Ken Roberts

Supporter
According to Vintage Air..... stock GM compressors will have a short life if used with their systems as GM compressors are variable displacement. These type of a/c compressors are not compatible. Some builders have used them and they report that they work fine but according to Vintage Air they will have a short life.

Does anyone know if the Vintage Air system is a Gen 4 system, Basicly this as to do with the controls as it uses a electric valve instead of vacuum also the control panels only have 3 knobs.

Reason for asking is ISIS has a control option to use with a touch screen control panel option and would clean the dash up a lot using this option or another option I have been looking in to.

Thanks for the information. It helps with the planning stage I am at right this moment. Will have to look into the size differences between the two styles of units, as I would prefer to have the electronic control option to use with either of the systems I am looking at using.

Thanks for the information. It helps with the planning stage I am at right this moment. Will have to look into the size differences between the two styles of units, as I would prefer to have the electronic control option to use with either of the systems I am looking at using.

Vintage Air is "supposed" to be working on an all electronic version, but I
haven't any news as yet. A couple of builders are using a 4-way electric water control valve, separately sourced.

Tks for that info.

I know that Dakota Digital, MyMod HP and ISIS all have either digital or touchscreen control options for the Gen 4 systems. Was the main reason I am looking at using that series of systems.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I believe it's the one on the right (mini) in this link....http://www.vintageair.com/2012catalog/2012%20VintageAir%20Catalog%20Final%20WEB%20(Page%2043).pdf

It's a Gen 2 system. It uses servo motors but lacks the electronic control of the Gen 4 systems.

Ken - I may be totally wrong - Fran would have to chime in - but I don't think that's the unit currently being used. I think it's the Mini Slim Line under dash unit - http://www.vintageair.com/2012catalog/2012 VintageAir Catalog Final WEB (Page 48).pdf

The front vents are closed off and openings are cut into the top of the unit. The first photo shows the unit with the front vents in place and the second shows it with them closed off and new openings cut into the top of the unit - as observed at RCR on 3/20/12 :

Regards,
Dave L

Attachments

• Red SLC AC Evaporator Under Dash.JPG
    Red SLC AC Evaporator Under Dash.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 343
  • SLC with LS9 - AC Evaporator Under Dash.JPG
    SLC with LS9 - AC Evaporator Under Dash.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 320

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
You're of course correct but I think Cam's car was delivered before RCR made the change to the Mini Slim Line unit. There have been quite a few changes made since Cam's car was delivered including a fiberglass duct system that mounts on top of the footwell/under the dash.

Dave L

I finished putting the vintage air gen2 mini system with the sanden compressor about mid summer. it was nice when it was 109f out. I canned the fiberglass mounting box that sits in the front clip and mounted the gen2 unit midway in the dash

For all those looking to fit a Gen4 system in the SLC, good luck. It's just too big.

Which is a shame, as the control solutions are so much more advanced, as is the air blend approach- just like a regular modern production car.

But unless Vintage releases a smaller evap size- and it would have to be really smaller- there is no way a Gen4 evap will fit without using up all the passenger footwell.

The gen 4 unit dimensions are. 26" length, 10.5" height and 10.5" depth. These. Are the listed size from Summit.

What ate the dimensions of the. Unit be used from RCR.

Ihope this is not a lot bigger. As the control options would be a lot better than the options for the gen2 version.

Because of the heat Scott. An evaporator behing rushing hot air is not very efficient. The distance is not too great and the evap unit would be fighting it fully.

I wonder if Vintige Air would be willing to sell just the Gen IV controls, so you could adapt them to the Mini Gen II

Back